Is the internet disrupting entertainment?

Last edited:
Ads on YouTube these days seem to be in support of a wider campaign, either on radio, television, wider internet or a combination of all of them. Also, YT mobile apps now have ads on them, so there's another market.

I feel like they're making a fair amount of money off the ads, but I don't think YouTube will disrupt television channels. I think internet TV, and services like Netflix and Hulu are what will/are disrupt(ing) television channels.

I keep forgetting YouTube even has ads. Thank you, AdBlock Plus!

(Commercials are the reason I stopped watching TV over a decade ago.)

Many commercials are brilliant pieces of VERY CONCISE storytelling... don't discount them escher. I also have a youtube channel, but haven't seen any revenue from it. The type of content I make is too sporadic (and in some weird uncanny valley of quality -- not crappy enough to warrant a viral video type of spread, not quality enough yet to warrant views or that reason) to be successful there.

I also don't tend to release at a pace that would cause the revenues to push upwards... they suggest weekly -- I'm more quarterly / yearly.

how do you mean? iv got under 2000 views and made a couple of quid..

couple of quid? - that is no money... I got.... about... 150.000 views on my videos (in total)... and I get maybe around... £60?... no idea didnt check for w while...

But yeah.. Well.. You can make SERIOUS money on YouTube if you're an OFFICIAL partner having 1.000.000+ subscribers with 1.000.000 views on EACH video

There are guys like... Shane Dawson, nigahiga, RayWilliamJohnson, iJustine etc... those guys have 1-5 million views on EACH video have 5-6-7millions subscribers (tho they started at the beginning of YouTube in 2005/6) they are now main partners/YouTube celebrities... Shane Dawson makes $350.000 a year on YouTube.. they are able to buy flats, cars best equipment, they also get lots of stuff for free to promot iJustin is a girl all about APPLE she gets free stuff from Apple (iPhones, macs etc...) they get invited to places blah blah blah...

until that... you can make "couple quit" but google won't pay you that untill you reach the needed amount

That is, though, once other countries like Australia actually get these services (without having to trick their browser...)

Well, yeah..

And once that happens, Australian television shows will barely be able to support their own development (IMO) as people will only spend money on watching US and overseas shows, and the ad revenue will be nowhere near what TV stations get at the moment.

TV stations will get less ad revenue as people switch over to the internet, and television ratings go down, Foxtel subscriptions will lessen, meaning even Foxtel - the one company that really does invest in new Australian shows (apart from ABC) - will have less money to invest in new shows...

I see the future of internet local production similar to that of YouTube - 0 budget productions will be able to exhibit their series' and make money from the small amount of ad revenue. Whilst this will mean a whole lot more series available to watch, the overall quality will significantly drop, and our already small professional industry will be relegated to the odd decent budget TVC and feature film.

It's a while away yet though, our internet speeds have to catch up first - maybe once the NBN is 100% implemented it will start to happen.

The internet is making use a society of instant gradification. We want our entertainment and we want it right now. I don't know that statistics but I wonder what the decrease of audience attendance in theatres is nowadays. It could be quite significant. There is a move model out there that brings the movie to the audience rather than waiting for the audience to come and see the move. On Demand for cable carriers is starting to pre-release movies before they hit the theatres. They lure audience members by letting them watch a film that is not even in theatres yet. It feels wrong, like you are getting away with something. The audience member begins to feel powerful, he or she may be watching the next big movie. They got to see if before it even hit the theatres.

Rob Bettencourt
Download a FREE report that gives you simple screenwriting techniques.
http://www.simplescreenwritingtechniques.com

Youtube is trying to eat the advertising lunch of the TV and cable networks, and I'm not sure if it has done that to any great degree. That said, I've been saying that the internet will disrupt the entertainment business, though how is not known yet.

Without a doubt Youtube has affected television and cable... illegally, but putting the PAY content on their for free, or the advertising content without ads.

People expect high grade entertainment but don't want to pay for it, either with ads or cash.

but if you dont have 100.000 views on each video - you dont make money

Huh.... then how do you explain the checks I get each month? Weird.

Does anyone have any channels on Youtube?

www.youtube.com/sonnyboo

and

www.youtube.com/framelinestv

Entertaining people is a constantly evolving creature. In the early days there were live musicans that either traveled or entertained in place. Theatre in one form or another has been around since man started walking upright. Then came devices that could store music (music boxes, etc) for listening at the convienece of the owner. That evolved into radio, televison, tape, records, CD's, DVD's, floppy discs, thumb drives, hard drives, Ipods. etc. I can store more music or movies on this laptop than I can listen to or watch in a hundred years. Storage and presentation will continue to evolve also.
Since I'm a writer I liken this to the publishing business. Twenty years ago it would have been very hard for me to have a book published by a major publishing house. Vanity presses (paying for your book to be printed) were there but were expensive due to the setup costs for printing. Then you had to try to get the book accepted for distribution and if you had skipped the major houses your chances of getting into a major book chain were slim. Now you can on-line publish, have books printed on demand and self-promote yourself. My book contract calls for electronic publishing as well as hard copies. I get 25 percent of the electronic sales profits and do nothing except sell my hard copies that I buy as needed from my publisher.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next ten years.

the screen will remain TV, but the delivery will be internet.

We watch netflix's via game console every day. Honestly, I pay for cable, but almost NEVER watch it now. when the contracts up, they can take the box back.

And this isnt just me, I have 6 people in my home with various interest, very little cable is watched...

Back