Is seeking advice on...

Hi everyone, just thought I come on here and see if anyone can help. I've been discussing a documentary proposal with a couple of friends who are very interested in the idea of making a documentary. We all have experience in video production but none of us have experience in putting together a funding proposal that would be submitted to a local TV station.

We have contacted the station. Our contact basically said there was no specific format and they were looking for a detailed budget. However, we are not comfortable with creating a format from scratch since it's the first time for all three of us.

Can anyone help by emailing me a sample proposal (or just a web address) so we can look at what kind of information goes into a successful proposal? Thanks so much.

Steve
marine3085@yahoo.co.uk

Can anyone help by emailing me a sample proposal (or just a web address) so we can look at what kind of information goes into a successful proposal? Thanks so much.

...the first thing I did was buy a book. Morrie Warshawski's 'Shaking The Money Tree'. It was a good way to get my thoughts together and was a good place to start. It will give you an idea of what people are looking for in a proposal. It was not much help in mapping out a distribution plan, however. And grant providers are going to want to know your plans. At least try to know what you may have to do.

This is going to take some time, so don't think you can do it overnight. Set some time aside and do it.

...Okay, first answer this for yourselves: What is the doc about? What are you trying to do? What is the point/purpose of your project? What are you going to do/say/show? Why are you doing this project? BE SPECIFIC. There are grants out there that will consider you if your project is to promote understanding between different cultures. That is an esoteric subject, but it can get funded. So, know what it is you want to do. When you answer this, then you can answer...

How do you intend to do this? You will have to be specific about what you will need to begin, produce and complete your doc. Come up with a wish list. Then pare it down to that which you will absolutely have to have. You can put alot into a grant. From office furniture to gas money to hotel accomodations. It is best to be realistic, though.

...now once you know what you want, figure out how much it will cost. If you need hotel accomodations, for example. Don't just go to one or two hotels. (I personally got on the net and averaged the cost of 12 hotel chains.) Some providers may want to know how you came to your numbers, some may not, but you need to be able to tell them.

...If you are asking for equipment, put in for purchase or rental. Know what the going rate is for any purchase or rental. If renting, know how many days you will need the piece of equipment for; multiply it by the cost for one day: Camera $00 x 5 days = $00.00. You will have to do this for EVERYTHING you put on that budget. To find out the prices, call a few production or rental companies and ASK. You may find that there are people more than happy to give you an idea of what something costs if you tell them what you are doing. You don't have to be specific for them: "I am preparing a budget proposal for a documentary I want to shoot. Can you give me some prices for equipment?" THIS WORKS.

How long will it take you to do this? You will have to have a relatively realistic schedule as to how long it will take you to prepare, produce(shoot), post and begin promoting this thang. Many providers expect to see no more that two years to get the project for beginning to final product. If you need more, you better be able to tell them why.

I know this seems like alot. IT IS. and I haven't even gotten to the part that you will be most interested in, which is the point of your doing this. Don't be discouraged. I didn't know anything when I wrote my proposal and I didn't have anyone telling me how to get started :) If I can do this, you can do this.

You need to know and be able to articulate WHY you are doing this documentary. Who will it benefit? What do you want this project to do for those who see it? (changing opinions is a valid reason, you just need to be able to express the importance of the observation). What does the documentary mean to you?
What do you expect it to LOOK like and what is your methodology of getting it done?

This is going to take you a while, so you need people who are as committed as you are or all is lost. (you need to give a personnel list with qualifications). Know going in that this may take you a while to just gather the info for the proposal, if you can delegate certain parts of the proposal to reliable people, do that. Three heads are better than one.

....this should get you started. Don't punk on ANYTHING. Grant providers will want to know if you know what you are doing. If this is your first project, you must be able to articulate that you can get the job done and I think they will know if you are bullsh--ing. Those looking at the proposal know film enough to know if what you propose is do-able even if they themselves don't make films...

Also know going in that this is going to take up alot of your time, for me, I feel as though I never have enough time to do everything I need to and I feel as if this is a full time job on top of my full time job. But I want to do this more than anything (can you tell I am planning a doc, myself? :D ) You have to want this or you are dead in the water. If you project is small, maybe it won't take much time, but you have to be committed to doing it. Decide how important it is to you because that will determine if you can finish or start your project.

...I hope this helps enough to get you started, go get that book, its not too expensive...

--spinner :cool:

Back