Is P2P now illegal?

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
In this current article: http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/27/technology/grokster/index.htm

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that companies that sell file-sharing software can be held liable for copyright infringement.

Does this mean I'm not able to distribute my own productions via P2P networks?

Am I liable for someone else's illegal use of P2P if I purposely use P2P to legally distribute my works I own the copyright to?

Scary.

I remember my days of Napster, when it first came out.
I was searching for Billy Idol- Charmed Life. Happened to find a song titled "Semi-Charmed Life". I thought it was a sequel or something, so I downloaded it. Turned out to be by a band called "Third Eye Blind". I now own all thier albums (some I have bought twice), will continue to buy thier albums as long as they exist, and if I can catch a concert, I will.
Same with Matthew Good- my friend burnt me a CD with "Apparitions" on it, and I now own TWO of every album he has released, have seen over 10 shows (am seeing one the day after the Macbeth premiere) and even have a shirt.

On the other hand, not everyone has that mentality- it's the freeloaders that make it bad for everyone else. I think people involved in the industries of film and music, or people considerate of the industry are the ones who use P2P the way it should be used.

It's a quick and easy way to preview stuff before you buy it. If it's quality, I sometimes buy 2 copies... and give them out as presents. I've bought over 20 Matthew Good albums as presents alone. This is also why I have no money.

Back