is my lens broken?

Ok i know nothing about camera lenses and i just received my canon 50mm 1.8 in the mail. The fcus wheel is verry smooth. But what im wondering is about the apperature wheel. It is snappy but when i turn it i thought the blades on the inside were supposed to open and close? does this have to be attached to a camera for that to happen? or is the lens broken? If so i have to send it back. please let me know.

I also just relized that when i put the rear lens cap on when i turn it to lock it the blades inside create a smaller hole. Im not sure if thats any help?

Last edited:
when not on the camera thats normal. I presume you mean an FD 50mm.

There is a pin think that stick out, that if you push it to the side, the aperture will work.

What camera is this for?

i have I just got the Gh1 today im waiting on my fd-4/3 adapter should be hear any day now

Which adapter did you get?

The fotodiox adapter won't engage the lever that Wheat is describing. It has to slide to the side in order to close the aperture to the desired setting.

AE-1 body cameras have a switch that engages that lever for you to preview the shot, but otherwise the lenses are wide open until you engage the shutter to ensure that you are working with the shallowest focus available when setting up. This helps ensure sharpness when the camera closes down, thus deepening your DoF.

I don't think it is easily possible to move that lever around when the lens is off the camera. Both of my FD lenses that work this way would require more force than I am willing to put on them in order to move it.

The ebay seller Ciecio7's FD adapter has a special set of pins that engage the lever. But you have to align the marks as though the lens was locked in place, backspin it to the other marks, then twist it into place in the locked position for the aperture control to engage. I cannot speak to other adapters, I have only tried those two.

Which adapter did you get?

The fotodiox adapter won't engage the lever that Wheat is describing. It has to slide to the side in order to close the aperture to the desired setting.

AE-1 body cameras have a switch that engages that lever for you to preview the shot, but otherwise the lenses are wide open until you engage the shutter to ensure that you are working with the shallowest focus available when setting up. This helps ensure sharpness when the camera closes down, thus deepening your DoF.

I don't think it is easily possible to move that lever around when the lens is off the camera. Both of my FD lenses that work this way would require more force than I am willing to put on them in order to move it.

The ebay seller Ciecio7's FD adapter has a special set of pins that engage the lever. But you have to align the marks as though the lens was locked in place, backspin it to the other marks, then twist it into place in the locked position for the aperture control to engage. I cannot speak to other adapters, I have only tried those two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330567339811&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This is the adapter i bought. If you scroll down their is more pictures. It looks like their might be somthing on the inside to engage the lever? what do u think?

Can't tell from the pic, but maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-FD-FL-AF1...703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6848211f

This is the one I bought. It looks like he changed the design a little bit, but the gap for the aperture lever is still there. There's a video clip that shows the mounting method I tried to describe.

Dam man, I realy hope mine is good ive been waiting almost a week for it, and it should be hear tomarow. I hope i didnt waist 25 bucks for nothing =(

Dam man, I realy hope mine is good ive been waiting almost a week for it, and it should be hear tomarow. I hope i didnt waist 25 bucks for nothing =(

FWIW:

I tried out the $90 Fotodiox adapter that claims to also be a Tilt/Shift device.

There's no tilt feature at all, the sensor crop obviates the shift function, AND it didn't properly engage the aperture.

But at least I could return it easily through Amazon.

Hope it works out of you. I hate wasting cash. :(

If the adapter doesn't work, it may be possible to superglue the pin down/to the side (I'm not sure exactly how the pins on those work). Something to consider (I've never done it myself, but someone on here in another thread mentioned it), and might definitely be worth a try if an adapter that will do it is significantly more expensive. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work, and you have to scrape a little excess superglue off (just make sure the superglue is completely dry before you put the adapter on ;) ).

If the adapter doesn't work, it may be possible to superglue the pin down/to the side (I'm not sure exactly how the pins on those work). Something to consider (I've never done it myself, but someone on here in another thread mentioned it), and might definitely be worth a try if an adapter that will do it is significantly more expensive. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work, and you have to scrape a little excess superglue off (just make sure the superglue is completely dry before you put the adapter on ;) ).

I gues thats a possibility but idk if im willing to trust myself with supper glue on a lens lol :D

Even when i have the lens cap on and the blades do move. The hole is barley bigger when its on 1.8 then when its on 22 But then if i put it on A (what ever that means) the hole is bigger but still doesnt look that big? maby i can try to upload pictures for you to see

photos

The first one the F stop is turned to 1.8 the second one the F stop is turned to 22 and the Third on the F stop is turned to A. Dose this all look right? This is all with the rear lens cap on because the blades only move when its on.

Sorry for the glare on the lens the light was a cupple inches away so that way you can see into it

Attachments

• F 1.8.jpg
    F 1.8.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 73
  • F 22.jpg
    F 22.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 73
  • F A.jpg
    F A.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 60
Alrighti will and also the rear cap to secure it i put it on and twist so maby that acts the same way as attaching the lens to the camera/adapter?

Yeah, turns out I was incorrect.

I just checked on my 135, which is the same era as my 50 (currently on the camera). There is a very small pin on the lens, lined up with the red registration dot, centered in the widest gap in the mount ring. When you put on the RE cap, that slots into a gap in the tabs on the cap and pushes that pin to the side. My 135 with the rear cap on acted exactly as pictured, I bet your lens is good to go.

The thing is tho, that's not the pin that moves to fully actuate the shutter. On the inner ring you will see two thin metal tabs that are designed to slide around the circumference of a circle smaller than the lens body but larger than the rear element. (hth, I can take a picture later if you need).

Both of those metal tabs somehow control this; all I can guess at this point is that it is a combination of the small pin that moves with the cap (or camera) and the two tabs on the inner ring around the rear element. It's very possible that all three are moved around by the c7 adapter I linked.

@Cameron:

The C-7 adapter that I linked is only about $65 shipped, IIRC. Even coming from Poland it got here very fast and the machining is very good quality. In the grand scheme not that much of a premium for something that works, and most importantly, is at the correct flange distance for proper focus. ;)

I don't recall which lenses people were talking about gluing and such - but iirc they were much smaller pins than on the FD lenses and needed less force to move. Also, as I mentioned above the mechanism is more complicated than I initially thought.

I kind of understand. If you dont mind taking pictures i would aprechiate it?that would help alot. My Adapter should be hear tomarow morning about 12 hrs from now so i guess its a waiting game untill then :P thanks for all of your help!

Well, I cannot attach images to posts, but here's a link:

a5g77q.jpg

If you have filters that won't let you see tinypic images, let me know.

#1 is the tiny pin that fits into a slot in the RE cap. You can see it travel as you lock the cap in place.

#3 is the one that fits inside the wide U shape inside my adapter, and move around when you do the spin.

#2 though, is I think the where the money is, but it is hard to say. It might make contact with the U shape (you should be able to see it in the ebay link earlier) and spin in the one direction, but I've not really examined it fully.

Also, when you get your adapter tomorrow, try it by seating the lens in the adapter with it set to A and with it set to an actual stop. I think my 135 had to be switched (but I can't remember from what to what though) before it engaged properly. Anyway, it's worth trying a few times in the event it gives you trouble.

Do it with it off the camera (naturally, but just in case) at first. That way you can see what is happening, and you aren't leaving your sensor exposed while you fiddle with the lens while the adapters is on the camera.

Last edited:
Well, I cannot attach images to posts, but here's a link:

a5g77q.jpg

If you have filters that won't let you see tinypic images, let me know.

#1 is the tiny pin that fits into a slot in the RE cap. You can see it travel as you lock the cap in place.

#2 is the one that fits inside the wide U shape inside my adapter, and move around when you do the spin.

#3 though, is I think the where the money is, but it is hard to say. It might make contact with the U shape (you should be able to see it in the ebay link earlier) and spin in the one direction, but I've not really examined it fully.

Also, when you get your adapter tomorrow, try it by seating the lens in the adapter with it set to A and with it set to an actual stop. I think my 135 had to be switched (but I can't remember from what to what though) before it engaged properly. Anyway, it's worth trying a few times in the event it gives you trouble.

Do it with it off the camera (naturally, but just in case) at first. That way you can see what is happening, and you aren't leaving your sensor exposed while you fiddle with the lens while the adapters is on the camera.

Alright thanks man picture helps ALOT! Ill let you know how everything goes in the morning!

Back