Is it safe to show your script around even if copyrighted?

I was told by a few on here that if I show it around it could get my foot in the door better, but even if a person cannot copy the script, they can still use the same idea. If someone uses my idea before me, then mine won't be so original when I finally get around to making it into a film. Or is that not the case?

Safe? Hmmm, depends on what you're trying to protect. If it's your feelings, then absolutely no, it's not safe. If it's the plot, or idea, then like others have said, there's nothing new under the sun. Two writers, given the exact same plotline, will write two entirely different stories. It's each and every decision you make as a writer that makes your story unique. And the funny thing is every writer I know, who reads someone else's work, will think (at least to themself) that they could write it better and I don't know of any writers who conciously create their work from stuff they read from others. For myself, my writing comes from abstract concepts from experiences I've had, not from stuff I've read from others.

True, just because I have never seen it done before, does not mean it hasn't been.

Although I don't have the legal background to offer specific copyright advice, I would argue that you most certainly can have an original concept / story which hasn't been produced before. Without giving more information, only you will know how 'original' your screenplay is - sure, chances are it may have been replicated in similar style, theme or stance before.

But is there a possibility your story is 100% original? In my opinion, absolutely!

Best of luck

This may sound harsh, but your story isn't original. No story is.

Don't think that's what he's asking.

As I've said before there are more ideas, more scripts and more scripts writers than there are ever going to be films being made. No one steals scripts for shorts because there's no money in shorts and they're still a pain in the neck to make. Can you stop people stealing ideas? No, but you'll more than likely never know if someone does because you'll only ever watch 0.01% of all the shorts being made around the world.

Don't worry about people stealing ideas.

A written script can (and should be) copyrighted. There's little incentive to try to steal a script. Why expend the $$$ and time and effort to produce a feature film (which, as we all know, is not inconsiderable) only to constantly worry that someone will litigate it out from under you. It's completely foolish and monetarily unsound to try to steal someone's script. In my opinion, however, once you've got a completed script in hand, the more eyes you get on it, the better off you are.

Concepts, loglines, synopses or treatments that do not have an accompanying completed script are a different matter, however. Those, if you're serious about them, should be kept close to the vest until you're finished with the screenplay.

Cheers!

-Charles

I was told by a few on here that if I show it around it could get my foot in the door better,
This question suggests you will be showing the script to working
professionals - people with a door for you to put your foot into.
The reality is no working professional will steal your idea. If you
get your foot in the door and they love your script they will make
an offer.

If you are worried that a fellow filmmaker will steal your idea and
rush out to make the movie before you can get yours done then
you should not show it to anyone you feel will steal from you.
None of your fellow filmmakers can help you get your foot in the
door anyway.

but even if a person cannot copy the script, they can still use the same idea. If someone uses my idea before me, then mine won't be so original when I finally get around to making it into a film. Or is that not the case?
I do not believe this is the case. I very much doubt your idea is
so unique that other filmmakers will steal it, write a script, finance
it, put it in production, finish it and get it into the market first. Unless
you keep talking about making your movie and never get around to
making it.

Are you asking about the one about the woman framed for murder?
Or the one about the cop trying to track down terrorists?

Yeah that's the one. Those two things I mentioned aren't original but the framed for murder is only like 10-15 minutes of the plot. The cop going after terrorists is not original either, but the terrorists themselves are, and are fighting for a cause that has never been done, that I have seen. I didn't give away all the original parts and the premise.

So I should just show it to producers then mainly and people who are contacts of producers?

Last edited:
Seems to me the detail your worried about is not even important to the story.

Dont risk any story on a "topical" hook. Like this. If the story is good then the terrorist could be fighting for anything and it would still be a good story. If you think your script is only great because of what the terrorist believe in, then well, chances are your wrong and your script is not great.

To me, an admitted noob, holding on to your precious ideas is selfish thinking and will mark you as an insecure amateur. So what if someone stole your super awesome terrorist idea? if this is the only great idea you have, then your in the wrong area of interest, cause you need to have great ideas every day!

Yeah that's the one. Those two things I mentioned aren't original but the framed for murder is only like 10-15 minutes of the plot.
Sounds like every other "framed for murder" story I have ever
read or seen. It's the execution of the story that makes your
writing original. the plot itself cannot be copyrighted.

The cop going after terrorists is not original either, but the terrorists themselves are, and are fighting for a cause that has never been done, that I have seen. I didn't give away all the original parts and the premise.

So I should just show it to producers then mainly and people who are contacts of producers?
Who are you worried about? Are you worried that fellow writers
will take your idea and make a movie before you do? Or a producer
with the money to make a film taking take your idea and making
a movie before you do?

I have a script going into production in September with a unique
take on terrorists. Who knows; maybe the cause they are fighting
for is similar to yours. I haven't read your script - you haven't read
the one I'm shooting, but we both live in the world and may have
touched on the same issue. But even if they are similar your take
on it is different than the script I'm doing.

My advice is the same as it was back in March when you wanted
actors to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Relax. No one will steal
your idea and make the exact same movie before you do. I'm not
going suggest your idea is not that great - I am going to assume it
is amazing. No one will steal it.

But once again, if you feel people will steal it do NOT show it to
anyone.

Seems to me the detail your worried about is not even important to the story.

Dont risk any story on a "topical" hook. Like this. If the story is good then the terrorist could be fighting for anything and it would still be a good story. If you think your script is only great because of what the terrorist believe in, then well, chances are your wrong and your script is not great.

To me, an admitted noob, holding on to your precious ideas is selfish thinking and will mark you as an insecure amateur. So what if someone stole your super awesome terrorist idea? if this is the only great idea you have, then your in the wrong area of interest, cause you need to have great ideas every day!

I have other ideas, but I feel this is my best. It's the best I have right now.

Sounds like every other "framed for murder" story I have ever
read or seen. It's the execution of the story that makes your
writing original. the plot itself cannot be copyrighted.

Who are you worried about? Are you worried that fellow writers
will take your idea and make a movie before you do? Or a producer
with the money to make a film taking take your idea and making
a movie before you do?

I have a script going into production in September with a unique
take on terrorists. Who knows; maybe the cause they are fighting
for is similar to yours. I haven't read your script - you haven't read
the one I'm shooting, but we both live in the world and may have
touched on the same issue. But even if they are similar your take
on it is different than the script I'm doing.

My advice is the same as it was back in March when you wanted
actors to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Relax. No one will steal
your idea and make the exact same movie before you do. I'm not
going suggest your idea is not that great - I am going to assume it
is amazing. No one will steal it.

But once again, if you feel people will steal it do NOT show it to
anyone.

Well I probably should show it to some people to get them interested in working with me, as a lot of people on here have suggested, but I just wanna make sure who. Not other directors, but of course actors, are okay. Producers?

You kind of have to, don't you? If you never show it to any
producer out of fear they will steal the idea from you then
you will have to produce it yourself.

Oh no I would definitely show it to producers. I was just wondering if I should just show it everyone else. Even if I show it to actors, they might pass it on to directors they know. But I guess that's the risk you take.

Back