Is it possible to make a 44 minute movie in 10 days?

I agreed to go help an old filmmaking friend make a documentary and flying out to the U.S. soon to make it. However, he tells me that 5 of those days, are for post production, and I am only shooting for five days. He asked me if I could help with the editing too. He is better at audio editing, where as I am not bad with video, so I told him I will take the video side of it. He wants to enter this project in for a grant, hoping it will get him the opportunity to make his own TV series. That's why he wants it to be a 44 minute long episode, like a TV show.

However, in order to get the grant, the movie must be completed in 10 days, after I fly out, otherwise the due date, to turn it in, will be expired. I wish he would have mentioned this before, but I guess I should have asked if when the grant do date was. I had no idea he cut it so close.

I have to get the video editing in just 1-2 days, since he will probably need the rest of the time to edit and mix the audio, and do sound effects, and color grading.

So is it possible to make a 44 minute movie and do a good job, completing it in 10 days!? I mean when I edit it, I will probably not have much time to think and once I make a cut, leave it, and move on, and that's it. But this is bad cause I have seen other's do this under pressure to get things done finished on a time limit, the movie turns out rushed or clunky. Is this possible, cause I want to get my time's worth and some of money, since I agreed to get my own food, as well as some other expenses, to help the project out. I mean I really want to help the guy out, but I feel he may have painted himself into a corner, and unknowingly, pulled me into it perhaps. So is it worth it, or save-able at this point?

Last edited:
Is it possible to make a 44 minute movie in 10 days?

Yep.

With you involved. I doubt it. It takes you nearly a week to read and understand the editor -> colorist part of the post production workflow.

Possible, sure. Likely? Not unless you have a lot of experience and practice.

For something like a grant I'd think it would be better to submit a short 3-5 minute preview or trailer anyway - unless you have something really compelling it's unlikely the people reviewing the proposals will watch the whole 44 minutes. If they're only going to watch a few minutes anyway it would be far better to put together a solid 3-5 minutes than a weak 44 minutes.

For something like a grant I'd think it would be better to submit a short 3-5 minute preview or trailer anyway - unless you have something really compelling it's unlikely the people reviewing the proposals will watch the whole 44 minutes. If they're only going to watch a few minutes anyway it would be far better to put together a solid 3-5 minutes than a weak 44 minutes.

What IDOM said.

Hey, I just helped make a 5 minute narrative film in 48 hours! That includes scripting, lighting, shooting (on RED with multiple takes), editing, sound design, colour and export.

A 44 minute movie could be done in 10 days. You'd need a highly professional crew, and it would be a struggle but it's totally possible. The Director will need to know exactly what he wants and how he wants to cut it. What's the doco on?

No, you cannot edit a 44-minute film in two days. Shit, if you're making a documentary, you can't even log the footage in that time!

No, you cannot edit a 44-minute film in two days. Shit, if you're making a documentary, you can't even log the footage in that time!

You would need an onset editor who could log the footage and start editing as soon as the card came out of the camera.

Assuming you have a structure/story to your doco, it's not in fathomable; but if it's just a 'shoot everything and see what we get' type deal then it would be practically impossible.

You would need an onset editor who could log the footage and start editing as soon as the card came out of the camera.

Assuming you have a structure/story to your doco, it's not in fathomable; but if it's just a 'shoot everything and see what we get' type deal then it would be practically impossible.

Right. If this were a TV show, with an experienced crew, then I'd stay silent. But it's two dudes, neither of which has ever made a documentary. So, no.

Well it's only three guys now. I am shooting the producer, who is one of the hosts, in the movie, and another host. I am shooting and directing. Two other crew members dropped out. Now there is no one to do production audio. Since I am directing I am going to to storyboard the shots, so only both of them can be in the scene in parts where they do not speak.

That way, I can do close ups of them, each one at a time, and one can boom for the other, and pretend to look at and talk to each other, when they are really not. The producer might fight me on it, but what else are you going to do, with no PSM.

Since the documentary has to do with wildlife, he also did not get any telephoto, or long range, lens which I urged him to, and I am stuck with 50mms. He said he was not able to get a lens or lav mics, cause he spent the money on gopros, but what am I going to do with fisheye cameras, when it comes to wildlife, really...

Well it's only three guys now. I am shooting the producer, who is one of the hosts, in the movie, and another host. I am shooting and directing. Two other crew members dropped out. Now there is no one to do production audio. Since I am directing I am going to to storyboard the shots, so only both of them can be in the scene in parts where they do not speak.

That way, I can do close ups of them, each one at a time, and one can boom for the other, and pretend to look at and talk to each other, when they are really not. The producer might fight me on it, but what else are you going to do, with no PSM.

Since the documentary has to do with wildlife, he also did not get any telephoto, or long range, lens which I urged him to, and I am stuck with 50mms. He said he was not able to get a lens or lav mics, cause he spent the money on gopros, but what am I going to do with fisheye cameras, when it comes to wildlife, really...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meOCdyS7ORE

Hey, I just helped make a 5 minute narrative film in 48 hours! That includes scripting, lighting, shooting (on RED with multiple takes), editing, sound design, colour and export.

A 44 minute movie could be done in 10 days. You'd need a highly professional crew, and it would be a struggle but it's totally possible. The Director will need to know exactly what he wants and how he wants to cut it. What's the doco on?

It's a travel documentary showing some culture and wildlife in the Pacific Northwest. Well now it's just me and him and he still wants to do it, even though he is hosting, and I am behind the camera, and he has no one to do the audio even now, but he's still going through it. I know it's been said on here, that once you start, you get it done, but that's within reason, right?

However, I don't think this documentary is very interesting. I mean, he showed me some of a script, but he hasn't even had time to finish it, cause of his regular job, and his other pre-production duties. Plus in a documentary, you cannot control what's going to be out there, and there are no actors of course. How do you know you will get good things in front of the camera?

Plus it's a travel documentary. I don't want to sound judgmental, but no one important watches those, when it comes to breaking into the business. If you are doing a documentary, tackling a dramatic and controversial dilemma, like Michael Moore's films, then you have a better chance.

It seems that whenever I try to help someone make their movies, that they do not prepare well, and are perfectly okay, with throwing the need for audio out the window, and think it will be fine, and fix it later.

Plus no one I have helped so far has taken on a really good script. I mean it's always a documentary on a harmless subject, or its a slasher movie, or it's a fatal attraction retreat thriller. No one is doing anything original or risky, and people are just going to see it as a lack of ambition, since the competition is so high in the business. Why doesn't anyone want to bother to make a really good script, into a really good movie, with a good crew to do all the jobs, and do better therefore? By good I mean good enough that it would be a large portion of audiences would actually be emotionally taken with it.

Why?

Last edited:
H44, some of my reactions to your questions have been rather harsh, so I suppose you'll take this with a grain of salt. But I do recognize that your intentions are to do something great, and you are taking steps towards making that happen. Anyway, I'm being genuine when I say that I think you should walk away from this one.

Think of it as a positive sign that you're now in a position that you even have to ask the question of whether or not you should say no. When we start out, we just say yes to everything. You are now wanted for your skills, but you shouldn't just give them out to everyone.

The way you describe it, I think this particular project sounds toxic, a complete waste of time. You've made great strides, you shouldn't let yourself be bogged down by every single person who thinks they can exploit your talents.

It's a travel documentary showing some culture and wildlife in the Pacific Northwest. Well now it's just me and him and he still wants to do it, even though he is hosting, and I am behind the camera, and he has no one to do the audio even now, but he's still going through it. I know it's been said on here, that once you start, you get it done, but that's within reason, right?

Just say no, and walk away, it's as simple as that. As much as a clusterfuck as it sounds like most of the stuff you get involved in becomes, this guy seems to be even more of one himself.

Hell, he bought gopro cameras, let him strap those bad boys onto himself and then he can be the camera guy too. :D

I know it's been said on here, that once you start, you get it done, but that's within reason, right?

If you figure a production is a lost cause, it's time to walk away. If you don't think it'll get through production, what makes you think anything will change in post production.

Just because you're involved with projects described like this, doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of productions that are professional.

That all being said, you need to pop your cherry on some projects, most of which aren't going to be premium projects.

Back