is it ok to use somone elses music?

is it ok to use music from animes or some other movies for my own movie?i am planning to submit the featured to a film festival after i am done. i have already taken some music from silent hill and some animes. is that ok?

NO!
You do not have permission to use the copyrighted music and it's against the law. Most festivals will not allow your entry without signed release forms.

Another reason not to "borrow" music from other projects, be that a movie, anime or video game, is that people watching it will be sucked out of your project and say "Hey! That's the music from ______." You will lose them while they think about the music you "borrowed" and not your storyline.

I recommend you first try to get original music. You may be able to find someone local who can compose an original score. It's great because nobody can find your music anyplace but on your movie. Something I don't like to do, but have had friends do is they use music from other movies as a temp (temporary) track during editing and them have a composer do a score that sounds like the temp music, but not enough to get sued. My problem with that is if I hear music like that, then I get pulled out of the movie trying to figure out what movies they used in their temp track.

You can use one of the loop-based music programs like Acid or Apple's soundtrack to make soundtracks. They're very cool, but it's hard to compose a full-blown orchestral soundtrack.

In the end, using music from other project is stealing, don't do it. If you get caught you could get sued and it limits where you can show your projects.

Scott

Something I don't like to do, but have had friends do is they use music from other movies as a temp (temporary) track during editing and them have a composer do a score that sounds like the temp music, but not enough to get sued.

you need to be careful of this one, about seven years ago teh copyright laws changed and not everyone is up to speed on the changes.

It used to be that providing one nore in seven was diffrent from the original you couldn't be sued, so everyone was out there changing every seventh note and sounding real close to the original.

However, it's now changed so that if anyone hearing the "tribute" track would resonably associate it with the original then the orginal composer can sue on breach of copyright.

It seems fair to me, and I htink original is always the best way to go,

I would add that there are quite a few composers and aspiring composers, just as committed to film as we are, who regularly work for free or for reduced rates. I don't know anything about your project, so I don't know what you need, but I would suggest contacting Aryavarta Kumar (www.aryavartakumar.com). He is a very talented and very quick composer. I have worked with him personally on several projects. If you'd like another example of his work, check out Killer Squirell in the Screening Room here at Indietalk. He composed all the original music for it- including pieces inspired by "Jaws", "Rambo" and "Terminator".

Sometimes music that 'sounds like' is great shorthand for the audience. They immediately get into the mood you seek because they feel familiar with the music.

Yeah it's a no-no to use copywrighted music. However, is it ok to use other people's music if the project if for educational use - like practicing editing or making a film that isn't distributed or for sale? I have made a few shorts and a feature that "borrows" music, but it's only distributed between the folks who made the film and enjoyed on a personal level. Not intended for sale. Is that ok?

Well...

Not to muddy the water too much here, but I have been told by a well respected festival coordinator that copyrighted music is often used on festival entries- with appropriate credit given- and that is fine for them.
I don't get that though, because if the fest charges for admission, they are profiting from the use of the copyrighted materials.

Sometimes it seems a grey area. Of course, there is NO WAY you could sell your product, or broadcast it anywhere (including on line), using copyrighted material without permission.

All that being said, when it came time to score "Killer Squirrel"- originally, I wanted to use the "Jaws" theme. I just thought no other music would give me the feel I wanted. Aryavarta Kumar proved me wrong, providing great soundtrack music.

Just pulled this off of our new Guru Sonnyboo's page:

"BTW: If you use un-liscensed music in a "for-profit" production (this includes paid "event" videos)(thats weddings and such) Even if you, or your client, owns the CD of Sinatras' "My Way", as soon as you insert that into your show that you are getting paid for you just earned a trip to jail and a $250,000 fine (important here) for each offense(!). They (the RIAA) count "each offense" to mean every time the illegal use was PERFORMED (that's every time the family watched the DVD of the wedding, or could potentially watch it). The RIAA has already closed some smaller production companies. Locked them up and jailed "all employees who were aware of the violations"(!). @#$%!(!) "

Guess that says it all. :)

Geez. Makes me wonder... at the Youngcuts festival, watching some clips of the winners for "Best Film", I heard Bowie and The Stones. I almost booed.
It's one thing to do it in High School and then share it with your friends, but if you win cash prizes for it... it makes me a little queasy.

Back