Is Filming in a Downtown Location Difficult?

I'm pretty new to filmmaking and would like to film a short trailer in the downtown location a city in Ohio. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to film in a downtown location? What are the details involved? I plan to contact the film commission of the city, but wanted to get some ideas of whether it's an extremely difficult thing to do. I'm thinking I'll need traffic detoured from a certain road while filmming. How difficult would that be and is it expensive to achieve if filming only lasts a day?

Yeah, I wrote in the first thread I do plan to do that, but I'd like to get a generalized idea of someone who's done it of what it's like? Is there anyone out there that can give me an overall general idea of what's involved from your personal experiences?

What ChimpPhobiaFilms said.

Also...

I'm thinking I'll need traffic detoured from a certain road while filmming. How difficult would that be and is it expensive to achieve if filming only lasts a day?

Ahhhh, given you're asking here, I'm going to presume your budget is indie and very restricted - correct me if I'm wrong.

In which case, I doubt you'll be able to arrange the temp diversion of a road.

Forgetting the road diversion, to film cities typically require you to pay for filming permits - which costs you $$$

They also usually require approx $5m million insurance - which costs you $$$

To divert a road etc - you'd have to involve the police - who you typically have to pay for per hour per officer - so lots of $$$$, plus admin $$$$, plus other permissions/approvals - more $$$

If you need to tap into their water, electricity - you have to pay more fees and typically an advance too

It's a costly business.

p.s. You gave no details as to your movie's budget or size of crew.

Last edited:
That makes sense. That's pretty much the info I was looking for. Thanks so much for the breakdown on it. Really helps get a good clean vision of whether it's worth it or not. Much appreciated!

Back