is film school worth it?

hey im new to this board and i've been into film since i was a child and im only 20. i recently left columbia college of chicago film school because it wasn't giving me what i wanted. im now at a community college just taking courses and im wondering this. (sorry if this has been covered in other threads) is going to film school such as UCLA, USC, NYU, or even Columbia NY, worth the time and especially money? whats the point of the degree? while i was at Columbia CHicago, i had to sit in a class of uptight pretentious teachers and students that would just bash on every film known to man and then i never even got to make a short film there because of all the prerequisites i had to take in order to start making them. i learned more this past semester by reading books, analying films, and going online than i learned in a whole year at Columbia Chicago. i dont have a single cent for school or even equipment to make a film at the moment since i support my mom and brother. all i ever talk about is film and all i ever want to do is film. the last time i made a short was in highschool. it sucks because all my friends out here dont care about it and it's just me and my brother that care. im just wondering what would you guys and gals do in this situation? thanks.

Here's the thing. Everyone one of us here did whatever it is we needed to do in order to get where we are.

For some of us that meant working two, sometimes three jobs to buy the gear we needed to practice our craft. It also meant volunteering to work on other peoples films while we starting taking baby steps in learning how films are actually made.

I wanted to work on location sound. I had a great deal of experience in other areas of sound but had never worked location sound. I started by volunteering to swing a boom. I worked a day job and some nights, doing without and putting away a few dollars at a time until I could buy a used shotgun (ME-80/K3) off ebay for a little over a hundred dollars. I saved $300 over a few months and bought a Tascam DR-100. Then I volunteered more for 48h film projects, other peoples short films, etc until I started picking up the odd paying (low, low pay) jobs providing boom and recorder. Everytime I got paid I put the money back into gear. I brought my own food on set so I didn't have to buy fast good.

You want to make films, make them. Write something, use your own, or borrow someone's camera phone and make it. Will it be amateur? Sure, but it's making movies, right? Or storyboard your film. Volunteer as a PA for other people's projects. Network with other people who are actually making films. Find a meet-up group in your area.

Sell any and every toy you have and use the money to buy a camera.

The only one stopping you from doing what you want to do is you.

Why do you want to be a filmmaker?

hey im new to this board and i've been into film since i was a child and im only 20. i recently left columbia college of chicago film school because it wasn't giving me what i wanted. im now at a community college just taking courses and im wondering this. (sorry if this has been covered in other threads) is going to film school such as UCLA, USC, NYU, or even Columbia NY, worth the time and especially money? whats the point of the degree? while i was at Columbia CHicago, i had to sit in a class of uptight pretentious teachers and students that would just bash on every film known to man and then i never even got to make a short film there because of all the prerequisites i had to take in order to start making them. i learned more this past semester by reading books, analying films, and going online than i learned in a whole year at Columbia Chicago. i dont have a single cent for school or even equipment to make a film at the moment since i support my mom and brother. all i ever talk about is film and all i ever want to do is film. the last time i made a short was in highschool. it sucks because all my friends out here dont care about it and it's just me and my brother that care. im just wondering what would you guys and gals do in this situation? thanks.

Take it from me, $20k in the hole and all I did in 2 years at a film school (one of which you mentioned) was learn with friends after class, making our own films outside the strict regulations of the school itself.

Once I realized that, I promptly quit, and here I am, I've made more films since I quit school than I did in school. Funny how that works.

I'm majoring in film at a university at the moment. I feel like I'm making the right choice, personally.

Some benefits I picked up from here is learning a lot of technical knowledge about films, working cameras, sound, lighting techniques, etc. from a few reliable sources, rather than racking my brain trying to piece it all together on the internet (though I do that as well quite a bit :D ) The professors typically are people who have been around the block in the industry, and they are there to help, so I always have a great guide on figuring out the quirks and whatnot on my way up.

Granted, I could simply have bought a camera and starting toying around with it, and get info off the web to begin with and just skipped school, but I'm confident it wouldn't be the same. With this route, I feel like I'm not just learning the ins and outs of making movies, but learning the ins and outs of making movies by a professional standard. So the degree will say at least that much about the person who gets it.

Also, I was quite put off on going to school for film because of the whole "who you know vs what you know" aspect of the business, but I did come to realize that all it takes to get at least somewhere is getting to know people. Film schools are film communities. Classmates are going to be people who will be working on films. For the ones who will be putting together crews for a project, they will need people. If you learn and practice, you'll be good at what you do. They'll need a good person. Thus, if you make yourself known, they'll want you.

If you refuse to socialize with people and don't want to learn how to adhere to professional standards, than yeah, film school may be a waste of money. However, if you are willing to put in the effort in learning the craft AND learn to network, then film schools and film programs can be a worth the money you put into them.

I AM still studying, so I'm obviously fairly green to the industry. I could be absolutely naive, and missing something here, in which case I do invite corrections, but it does seem that simple. Not that easy, but that simple.

I personally prefer a school like the Pasadena Arts College where the teachers are required to work in the field at least a quarter of the year.

This weeds out the "Those that can't do, teach" from the industry.

Also, choose the correct school for the technology advances. Make sure you learn the most up-to-date techniques of film. It's very easy for schools to be out-dated and not have the most current gear.

I didn't go to film school, however.

I, like gpforet, worked hard to get where I am today.

This last week was a 105 hour week for me. I've worked many late nights, and I continue to bring better material to the table than many of my peers. It requires that passion to really make it in this business.

On the other hand, there are people I know who did go to film school and haven't done a feature yet.

It's up to you. I didn't need it.

Personally, I think it depends on the individual.

I've learned a lot about how film making works, just from researching the subject on my own and asking a TON of question on this forum. I've done thousands (I don't think that's an underestimate) of hours of Googling over the last five years or so, and reading tutorials on various websites for special effects, equipment building (such as dollies, boom poles, light kits, etc.,.), and I feel like I've got just enough knowledge to start working on my own independent film. I just currently lack the money to do it, but I did just get a job yesterday so hopefully I can buy a camera in the next month or two. :)

Anyway, despite knowing all of this, I'm fairly confident that there's still a ton of information I could learn by going to a school. I definitely want to pursue making films as my future career, so I'm probably going to to the Madison Media Institute in Wisconsin in a couple of years after I get my associates' in general studies. I think going to school for film could definitely not only open more doors for filming opportunities, but also build up connections with people working in the field as well as give you more insight into what goes on in the professional field, how to do certain things and of course, hopeful access to a lot of equipment you wouldn't otherwise have. There are definite benefits, and depending on the school there's also a bunch of downsides. What do you think you should do? Do you feel like you should go to school?

I've learned a lot about how film making works, just from researching the subject on my own and asking a TON of question on this forum. I've done thousands (I don't think that's an underestimate) of hours of Googling over the last five years or so, and reading tutorials on various websites for special effects, equipment building (such as dollies, boom poles, light kits, etc.,.), and I feel like I've got just enough knowledge to start working on my own independent film. I just currently lack the money to do it, but I did just get a job yesterday so hopefully I can buy a camera in the next month or two. :)

Anyway, despite knowing all of this, I'm fairly confident that there's still a ton of information I could learn by going to a school. I definitely want to pursue making films as my future career, so I'm probably going to to the Madison Media Institute in Wisconsin in a couple of years after I get my associates' in general studies. I think going to school for film could definitely not only open more doors for filming opportunities, but also build up connections with people working in the field as well as give you more insight into what goes on in the professional field, how to do certain things and of course, hopeful access to a lot of equipment you wouldn't otherwise have. There are definite benefits, and depending on the school there's also a bunch of downsides. What do you think you should do? Do you feel like you should go to school?

^ i've done the same thing as you man. ive done the googling, the books, watching countless films over and over again. i feel i understand aesthetics and how to make a film i just think film school would give me the technical knowledge and i would be surrounded by other people who greatly enjoy film. im also at a community college getting my AA and then im deciding if i should transfer and get my BA in film or something else. i was looking at U of W in Milwaukee and Northwestern in Illinois. i hear they both have good film programs.

^ i've done the same thing as you man. ive done the googling, the books, watching countless films over and over again. i feel i understand aesthetics and how to make a film i just think film school would give me the technical knowledge and i would be surrounded by other people who greatly enjoy film. im also at a community college getting my AA and then im deciding if i should transfer and get my BA in film or something else. i was looking at U of W in Milwaukee and Northwestern in Illinois. i hear they both have good film programs.

No matter what you decide to do you'll run into strong opinion arguing both sides. Try this assignment that is hard to argue: Go to IMDB and read all the bio's of your favorite directors - make the list first.

Put a check next to their name if they went to film school and leave it blank if they didn't. Now, tally up the results and it should paint a picture. ;)

I personally prefer a school like the Pasadena Arts College where the teachers are required to work in the field at least a quarter of the year.

This weeds out the "Those that can't do, teach" from the industry.

Also, choose the correct school for the technology advances. Make sure you learn the most up-to-date techniques of film. It's very easy for schools to be out-dated and not have the most current gear.

YES!! I'm sure very few people have heard of Drexel University's film program, but I loved my time there. Being a very tech-oriented university, students are taught how to use equipment from the first day. Sure, there's the film theory classes you can take as electives, but it's all about learning the craft from people who work in the industry. I met some really awesome professors while at Drexel--some of whom have helped me find work since graduating.

I'm really glad I went to film school because it helped give me focus. I learned everything I could about shooting, mixing, post production--I handled equipment and used programs I never would have been able to without going to school. But does that translate to a CAREER? Not so much. Education is only going to get you halfway there. The rest is all dependent on how much energy you can exert finding contacts and using your network. It's very, very hard and something you aren't going to learn in school...

I'd still like to go to film school someday. I really hope I can make it happen. There's a lot of outside things beyond my control that need to fall into place before I can start to seriously work at it.

I think education is obviously essential, and how you go about that education is entirely up to you. I don't that road is necessarily paved to go only through film school. You have to figure out what appeals to you the most, and then take a chance on it. I also agree completely on the matter of experience. Sorry if that sounds a bit simplistic.

Last edited:
Very true.

I started before the internet and “Google” so I couldn’t spend
thousands of hours reading over five years, asking questions on
forums or reading/watching tutorials. I made films - every weekend
for five years. In a way, I created my own tutorials. I never even
thought of understanding the aesthetics - I made films. I never
considered films school because I dropped out of high school when
I got a job. Over the years I made a lot of contacts/future relationships
meeting people working on sets.

The answer really does depend on the individual. I do not learn by
reading - I am one of those who learns by doing. I'm glad my passion
wasn't surgery....

I've never been much of a school person. I've always just started business and got out before sinking a ton of money into them. It's worked for me. My best friend went to school for film and I just asked him and he would show me what he learned for free. LOL. Like others have said, I've learned a lot online and YouTube is awesome for learning anything. With that said, just because school is not my thing doesn't mean you shouldn't go. If you can afford to and have time, go to school and just jump into making films on your own. Do both. Experience is the best teacher.

Back