• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

iPhone calling sound effect

I'm looking for the iPhone calling/dialing sound effect. I really didn't want to create a thread for this, but I seriously haven't been able to find one. It's for a short film.

Thanks in advance.

Umm, stick a mic in front of the phone and record it? :D

I'm not sure what you mean though - dial tone or ring tone? Either way there may be copyright issues...

Umm, stick a mic in front of the phone and record it? :D

I'm not sure what you mean though - dial tone or ring tone? Either way there may be copyright issues...

It's just a minor non-profit, non-commercial shortfilm. The problem is that I don't have a mic. I have the mic from within the 550D, which is pretty damn bad, especially without Magic Lantern. :)

It's not the ringtone. It's when you call someone and you hear the sound of calling/dialing.

It's just a minor non-profit, non-commercial shortfilm. The problem is that I don't have a mic. I have the mic from within the 550D, which is pretty damn bad, especially without Magic Lantern. :)

It's not the ringtone. It's when you call someone and you hear the sound of calling/dialing.

Non-profit or not, copyright is copyright. I don't know about that particular sound or the legalities of the market you're operating/distributing in, and i'm really not up on how fair usage applies (if at all) in this sort of situation.

If you haven't got a mic then you're gonne be stuffed for all your recording needs, not just the ringtone. You will need a mic. Sound is half the experience of any film, so don't skimp here.

Magic Lantern won't do anything for your audio either. The onboard audio is crap no matter what!

If you can't afford to buy or rent a decent mic, then use the best you have available. If that be the onboard mic, then in the absence of a sample, that's the best you're gonna have to work with I guess.

Non-profit or not, copyright is copyright. I don't know about that particular sound or the legalities of the market you're operating/distributing in, and i'm really not up on how fair usage applies (if at all) in this sort of situation.

If you haven't got a mic then you're gonne be stuffed for all your recording needs, not just the ringtone. You will need a mic. Sound is half the experience of any film, so don't skimp here.

Magic Lantern won't do anything for your audio either. The onboard audio is crap no matter what!

If you can't afford to buy or rent a decent mic, then use the best you have available. If that be the onboard mic, then in the absence of a sample, that's the best you're gonna have to work with I guess.

I'm aware that sound is half the experience. The shortfilm I'm making only has two lines, so I think I will be fine without a mic as long as I can get sound effects synchronized properly.

And yeah...copyright is copyright. But concerning that much about a soundeffect from a Phone, in a selfmade hobby, non-profit shortfilm is a bit overkill if you ask me. :)

You know, of course, that you don't have to use that specific dial tone. In fact, most of your audience will expect the standard dial tone, despite the fact that it is factually incorrect.

Filmmaking has nothing to do with reality. As a sound editor I often have tot use sounds that are not correct. Windows are not made of glass, they are made of plastic, and they turn into little plastic beads when broken - but I still have to use "real" glass sounds. In films all computers make bleeps and boops and lots of other noises, despite the fact that, if they did so in real life, it would eventually drive the users insane. Etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

You know, of course, that you don't have to use that specific dial tone. In fact, most of your audience will expect the standard dial tone, despite the fact that it is factually incorrect.

Filmmaking has nothing to do with reality. As a sound editor I often have tot use sounds that are not correct. Windows are not made of glass, they are made of plastic, and they turn into little plastic beads when broken - but I still have to use "real" glass sounds. In films all computers make bleeps and boops and lots of other noises, despite the fact that, if they did so in real life, it would eventually drive the users insane. Etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, that's very true. I might consider using a normal dial sound. Although, most people are familiar with iPhones, and I'd say they are more likely to expect the iPhone dial sound.

Ok, so I solved the problem. I decided to write to a friend of mine, who has a microphone he used for a private radio host. He will record the sound through that and send it to me, just like A.D. suggested.

Thanks for your answers and sorry for the double post!

I don't know a what the iphone dial tone sounds like...

I'd also say that the majority of people won't even notice that your character has an iphone. In fact, we shouldn't notice, unless it's integral to the plot (which I can't imagine it would be).

Go with a standard dial tone, it'll save an agro later.

Back