iPad 2 for audio recording?

Here is my situation. I have a Canon T2i. I bought the Rode Videomic Pro, and I want to use an external digital recorder to connect my Rode mic to. Now my dilemma is should I get the Zoom H4n or the iPad 2 as a audio recording device. Sure the H4n is built for audio recording, BUT if the iPad 2 can do it, then I want the iPad. I know I can connect the Rode via the Camera Connection Kit along with the Griffin iMic. But I don't know if the iPad 2 does stereo recording. Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't know if the ipad is even intended to be used as an audio recorder. And the H4n has xlr inputs and a crap load of manual controls so I'm guessing it sure beats an ipad when it comes to audio recording.

That doesn't sound like a good idea. I would rather carry around the t2i and a small recorder like the h4n than a bulky iPad. If you decide to use the IPad and you have xlr inputs then you will have to buy something like a beachtek audio adapter so now you have even more stiff to carry around.

Well, I was about to jump on board the "terrible" idea bandwagon, but then I started looking...

Garage Band is coming to iPad, pair that with an XLR input interface that goes through the dock connector, NOT the crummy line in, and you essentially have up to an 8-Track recorder using the software and decent processor of the iPad and the hopefully good audio hardware of the interface you find.

It becomes less portable though, you'll have to have power for the interface most likely. The iPad 2 with it's upgraded processor becomes as useful as a laptop doing the same then. Try using an iPad in sunlight though... Impossible.

So, it's not super portable or out-of-the-box option, but with a good interface I think feasible.

Last edited:
Well, I was about to jump on board the "terrible" idea bandwagon, but then I started looking...

Garage Band is coming to iPad, pair that with an XLR input interface that goes through the dock connector, NOT the crummy line in, and you essentially have up to an 8-Track recorder using the software and decent processor of the iPad and the hopefully good audio hardware of the interface you find.

It becomes less portable though, you'll have to have power for the interface most likely. The iPad 2 with it's upgraded processor becomes as useful as a laptop doing the same then. Try using an iPad in sunlight though... Impossible.

So, it's not super portable or out-of-the-box option, but with a good interface I think feasible.

Yeah this is why I was thinking about using the iPad since it can do multitrack recording. And with a good mic it seems to sound pretty good. It's just more to carry around, but I dont mind. Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STzzmge4MwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl9DxqY43dU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
(I think this can work without using the $60 Berhinger)

I am still conducting further research. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

How would you get XLR into the iPad ??..

OK. I found THIS

Cakewalk UA-4FX USB Audio Interface/MIDI Interface
51PohwFPQYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You get 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution, if the iPad records at that quality, that would be ok.

THEN use the camera / usb adapter for the iPad and go from there. Does the iPad have a good audio program for noise removal and audio sweetening ???

I still think a dedicated recorder would be best, because you want to have the recorder be mobile along with on your Boom Op. If you are doing a fixed video setting where you are on a set and not moving, or interviews...maybe

EDIT

The Rode Videomic Pro is not well suited for Boom use. I suggest a mic w/ XLR cables to shield against noise from electrical sources. The Rode Videomic Pro is for mounting on top of the Cam, does not work well in an Indie film set. You need that Mic close to the mouth of the talent. Like within 2 feet close. The Rode Videomic Pro is OK for quiet, static settings where you can get the cam close to the talent.

As for the iPad but if you have the tool available and it will get a good signal..why not ?? the Audio interface costs less than a Zoom or Tascam, I suggest you find a decent Hyper Cardiod mic for outdoors and a Cardiod for indoors use on a boom pole w/ XLR out.

Last edited:
How would you get XLR into the iPad ??..

OK. I found THIS

Cakewalk UA-4FX USB Audio Interface/MIDI Interface
51PohwFPQYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You get 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution, if the iPad records at that quality, that would be ok.

THEN use the camera / usb adapter for the iPad and go from there. Does the iPad have a good audio program for noise removal and audio sweetening ???

I still think a dedicated recorder would be best, because you want to have the recorder be mobile along with on your Boom Op. If you are doing a fixed video setting where you are on a set and not moving, or interviews...maybe

EDIT

The Rode Videomic Pro is not well suited for Boom use. I suggest a mic w/ XLR cables to shield against noise from electrical sources. The Rode Videomic Pro is for mounting on top of the Cam, does not work well in an Indie film set. You need that Mic close to the mouth of the talent. Like within 2 feet close. The Rode Videomic Pro is OK for quiet, static settings where you can get the cam close to the talent.

As for the iPad but if you have the tool available and it will get a good signal..why not ?? the Audio interface costs less than a Zoom or Tascam, I suggest you find a decent Hyper Cardiod mic for outdoors and a Cardiod for indoors use on a boom pole w/ XLR out.

Are you sure the Rode won't work? It's got a setting were you can do -10, 0, or +20 DB. I was planning on connecting it to the Zoom H4n(assuming I don't get an iPad). I also got a deadcat to put on it. If it doesnt work well, what microphone do you suggest I go with (under $300) that I can get good sound with borth indoors and out? Thx again!

Are you sure the Rode won't work? It's got a setting were you can do -10, 0, or +20 DB. I was planning on connecting it to the Zoom H4n(assuming I don't get an iPad). I also got a deadcat to put on it. If it doesnt work well, what microphone do you suggest I go with (under $300) that I can get good sound with borth indoors and out? Thx again!

YES the Rode WILL work, but it will get a lot of EMI crapola fom the unbalanced line. The 1/8" mini jack and the 1/8" cord is the problem. You need XLR to shield from EMI if you are using a longer cord on a boom pole.

It is suggested to use a Hypercardioid outdoors and a Cardioid indoors. One mic that will do both is the Octava MK-012

The mic accepts capsules of BOTH Hypercardiod & Cardiod capsules. You can get one w/ 1 capsule for $275. It has been recommended by Alcove Audio on this board. You might have to search to find the scond capsule.. I'm sure you can order one. they sell a set w/ 2 mics and 3 capsules for each mic @ $760.. mebbe split it w/ someone else ??
Im saving my pennies to get one.

oktava_mk-012-01.jpg

Last edited:
It is suggested to use a Hypercardioid outdoors and a Cardioid indoors.

Actually, a Lobar (shotgun) is recommended for outdoors due to it's off-axis rejection, a hypercardioid is the production sound preference for indoors.

BTW, the Cakewalk UA-4FX will probably have an even worse mic pre than the H4n or DR-100.

The whole point is not can you do it but should you do it. You can probably make just about anything work, but the whole point of film production sound is to capture clean clear dialog, and to be able to do it on the run. Just because the iPad is a cool idea doesn't mean it should be used. I can just see a one man production sound crew running across a field following a chase scene with an iPad and a USB interface around his neck while swinging a boom!

I'll look into that Octava MK-012. Now will this help the Rode shield from EMI?

No.

Which capsule(s) on the Octava for outdoors ?

The -012 has three (3) different cardioid capsules - cardioid, supercardioid and hypercardioid.

Lobar (shotgun) is recommended for outdoors

That's because of the entire mic design using an interference tube. The capsule is usually a cardioid of some kind.

polar-patterns.jpg

So the omni,cardioid or supercardioid capsules would not be good for outdoors ?? I was thinking the Octava would be good both indoors & out.. I'm all ears

OK Hypercardioid indoors & Lobar / Shotgun out !!?

Last edited:
OK Hypercardiod indoors & Lobar / Shotgun out !!?

You've got it. The idea behind a shotgun is that, if used properly, you don't pick up as much of the surrounding ambient sound. The narrow pick-up pattern induced by the interference tube "rejects" sound from the sides and "focuses" on what is directly in front of it. However, because of it's design it tremendously over exaggerates the room reflections indoors giving that infamous "echoey" "roomy" sound heard in many indie films.

You can use a cardioid outdoors, but it will probably pick up a lot of extraneous ambient sound, and is even more prone to wind noise than a shotgun.

Is it me, or does cardioid look like an ass?

Yup. But if you turn it over it is sort of heart shaped, hence the use of "cardio" which is from the Greek kardia for heart.

Back