Interview with the Vampire Lestat

sfoster

Staff Member
Yes folks after 21 years a sequel is coming to Interview with the Vampire!!
It picks up right where the first movie left off - Lestat turning Daniel Malloy (slater) into a vampire.

It's an 8 page comedy script and I've got 7 hours to film it this sunday.
No rehearsals and the actors won't have their lines memorized.
I will be director, dop, and psm.

If I believed in god I would be praying right now.
I've got an inexperienced friend to hold the boom. At least he is really tall :lol:

Last edited:
I've just realized that with my gimbal I only need to hold the camera with one hand. I can use my cell phone in the other hand and record two angles at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzZAtrw_XDI

good luck, my friend. Absorb as much liquor as you can before shooting

Thanks for helping motivate me to write the script!
Sadly I think I'll have to save the liquor until after the shoot.

But for cocaine, well lets just say lestats thimble is for more than blood. Ah what a nice fantasy, that shit is way out of my price range :lol:

That's okay... He believes in you!

If he's smart he does! ;)

I rolled the role of 8 women into 2 women and had the females repeat too. (for those who read the script in my original concept thread, resisting a fan fiction urge)

I thought it still worked but christian slater says that his band has enough female fans that he can get 6 women to show up.

He is optimistic, but it's my job to worry about this falling apart.
So.. I've had to talk to one actress who took off work to tell her that her role has been reduced :no: and that I will make it up to her.

Backup plan.. I have two female wigs. I can change a couple of the actresses hair and pretend they are different girls. :lol:

Talk about a recipe for disaster.
I am looking forward to holding the camera though, should be interesting.

In the past I've always had to exert energy and explain my vision, now I'll just be able to do it.
Not that I really mind the other way since it's practice for professional directing.

Last edited:
Backup plan.. I have two female wigs. I can change a couple of the actresses hair and pretend they are different girls. :lol:

I haven't read your script, so I don't know exactly what it is you're trying to achieve, but that's actually not a horrendous idea. You may be able to turn your 2 females into four with a simple split-screen composition.

Shoot safe; assume that you'll have to make do with just the two girls on screen. But if you've got the time (and/or the inclination) a quick experiment with split-screen cloning might be worthwhile.

Good luck!

I haven't read your script, so I don't know exactly what it is you're trying to achieve, but that's actually not a horrendous idea. You may be able to turn your 2 females into four with a simple split-screen composition.

Shoot safe; assume that you'll have to make do with just the two girls on screen. But if you've got the time (and/or the inclination) a quick experiment with split-screen cloning might be worthwhile.

Good luck!

Just 2 girls at a time. It repeats itself like Groundhog day, Edge of Tomorrow, Source Code, Triangle, etc

Shockingly.. all those crazy amounts of girls did not show up :lol:
but it's as much my project as these two dudes, since it was written specifically for them. I'm not going to clip their wings if I don't have to.

Of the 2 actresses I recruited, one backed out when her role was reduced.
The other actress didn't miss a step! what a pro.

With the other girls not showing up, we reverted to just 2 girls instead of 8 like I wanted :P

So the actress that was okay with her role being reduced still got the big role after all. And the one that backed out on me this morning because of it missed out entirely. ;)

So I was really impressed with the one girl, is the point of that story.

---

And now for something different .. how did the project turn out.
Well this is by far the silliest thing I've ever done. Shots were off and I said eh good enough we need to move on to the next one :lol:

I usually take all this stuff so seriously but I think this project is going to turn out campy as hell.
it was fun for the cast and crew, although that doesn't always translate to being fun for the audience.

lol

You got me pretty curious :)

I watched some of the footage. It was so bad it's funny :lol:
You can tell that it's all real mistakes that are happening.

And a lot of poor direction because I am not fixing those mistakes.

and the wig is so bad. i cut it myself in front of the mirror in like 15 seconds.

A slightly blurry tom cruise. i just ordered a follow focus :/
from the music video I'm shooting for him

tom%20cruise.png

What a disaster.. finally had a chance to go over the footage.
25 out of 45 tracks have absolutely no audio recorded.

This dr-70d is still kind of new to me. My friend says he could hear it through the headphones the whole time. I have audio tracks of various lengths recorded but there is nothing on them.

I do have on camera audio.. weeee

Last edited:
We filmed everything over again and treated the first time like a rehearsal. My two stars did MUCH better this time, since they now have 1 day of experience acting. Definitely made a difference for them.

We cut the script in half in order to meet the deadline but it's finished mostly. Just the opening page to be shot outside on the weekend of 13th/14th

This time I monitored the audio myself! And had the recorder strapped to me instead of the boom op.
I see now what went wrong with the audio - after plugging and unplugging the phantom power disabled. There was no sound through the headphones until it's reenabled and my friend did not notice. Operator error.

We cut the script in half in order to meet the deadline but it's finished mostly. Just the opening page to be shot outside on the weekend of 13th/14th

Suddenly Lestat is skipping town, leaving america forever tomorrow.
I was notified yesterday.

Slater will not give me an hour of time yesterday or today.

All of that effort and money and it looks like I've got my first failure of a film project. It can never be finished and it doesn't make sense without the establishing scene, which sets up the entire story :no: I did a lot of work for that guy, making him a music video and even got sunburned because he wanted more shooting time instead of taking the time to get sunblock. (the CVS nearby was looted and boarded up in baltimore riots)

He says that he forgot we were supposed to shoot this weekend.
Whoops. :hmm:

Try not to take it personally, some people are either 1) just douchebags, or 2) just don't realise how much work/effort/money/passion goes into stuff like this.

One of my best friends was meant to be the subject on my documentary. After confirming multiple times with him that he was ok with being in it (I had offered to do voice only, but he said he was happy to appear), 4 months of pre-pro, building a crew, etc he bailed. He was surprised I "couldn't just get an actor to say my bits" and just doesn't seem to get how horrible of a situation that was to be in and how much work went down the drain (and how it damages my rep with other people). To make things worse, it was a university project that had a hand in a month away, so the people from my class working on it had not only wasted their time, but have their course grades at stake.

Yeah I'm quite used to people disappointing me in regards to film. I don't take it personally but it's still the death of my baby.

At least I got some experience, never tried to be a single man crew before.
And yeah I've failed one actress that I brought on board for this.

Seven months have passed and I've had an epiphany.

I failed to complete this as a short film.. but I have enough footage to make a fake trailer! So I can salvage this project after all.

It's coming folks.. interview with vampire lestat.. the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7m_n2aM51Q

Haven't started editing it yet but i've been going over the script and piecing it together in my mind.

Back