Interesting article...

"We want to be the Disney of horror."

Interesting what they're ramping up.

Whatever happened to all those horror-only premium cable channels that Fango & others were working on?

I don't know. If the movies are all about gore (like the mag has always appeared to be, IMO), then I fear it'll be a waste of time.

Poke

I have lost interest in Horror, although most of my super-8 films where gory , when I was 14-15 yeard old. Maybe as the population grows older, there is going to be less interest in horror films. I certainly stay away from horror films as I see so much horror on the news. Actually, the news networks are certainly the most prolific producers of horror stories, as they focus, underline, intensify in every way posible anything that could be scary to us. I rarely watch the news anymore. I worked in a networkd newsroom. Well... maybe there is a good setting for a horror movie, the news room. ... :weird:

Maybe as the population grows older, there is going to be less interest in horror films.
While I agree with you, horror is the one genre that Hollywood will never give up. It's inexpensive, quick to make and almost always turns a quick profit (with the right marketing). After two weeks on the screen, it breaks even and it's straight to DVD for the profit.

Personally, I don't think that the gore genre will make a strong-as-the-80s comeback, but it's still a fun genre nonetheless. Everyone needs a few cheap scares. :D

I've always had this idea for a (now regaining support recently) zombie flick. But of course, my baby is a 300+ page Vampire script that's more of a love story than a gorefest.

IMHO (In my humble opinion), every filmmaker needs to have one horror movie under their belt. Hell, even Kevin Smith is planning one.

I, too, made gore films when I was 14-15. Now, not only do I not stay away from gore films, I still love making them. I agree there is less and less interest in gore films from adults - unlike me, people tend to grow up - but there will always be 14-15 year olds who want to see them.

I look forward to seeing movies from Fangoria and am putting together a pitch to write and direct for them.

Back