• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Instructional/documentary settings.

Any thoughts on how an instructional/teaching video would be set up and lit, also partial documentary on lives of those with brain injuries. The instruction comes from a professional and gives ideas to manage the results in life from the brain injury. Wondering what settings or lighting might be appropriate. Don't want to shoot it like a soap-opera.

Sound help? And blocking too?

So I found a location for this docu/cational video I'm helping out with. It's the waiting area of an office in an older home that was converted. Fireplace and all. So the set-up will be an interview between 2 people, then a segment on how to manage what was just talked about. The host is female and will be doing the interview and instruction. I will be using 2 cameras on tripods to record the interview and will record audio with both cameras and a DR-40. I have 2 microphones available, a cheap Audio Technica ATR-6550 (I didn't get a chance to return it so it's still kicking around) and an Audio Technica AT897. I am wondering what suggestions for blocking (setting up camera shots, right?) and for audio recording with the equipment I have. I will be lighting the room with an inexpensive Cowboy Studios set, 3 lights.
Should I place the two microphones just off camera pointed toward each person, or should I use the DR-40 internal mics for a more equal sound of each person, set in the middle of the two (off camera, as I would like that better visually)? Will one shotgun mic work for 2 people? Would the cheaper ATR6550 plugged into the T4i be acceptable, along with the internal mic.s of the DR-40 used for the other person shot with the SX50HS?(equally crummy sounding?).
And for camera shots, would over the shoulder from the back of the host on the guest along with a wide shot of the two of them be ok, or would it be better to watch each individual? Is it better to just go with the wide shot only?
I have no more budget money left, but I have a third camera available, just not a Canon... I can shoot everything in 720 but would have to try to match the 3rd cameras look, it is just a small point and shoot.

Back