IndieTalk Awards?

Before i became a filmmaker and writer, i was a backyard wrestler. Don't laugh. Wrestling is an artform. But theres probably a greater chance of making real money in this business than that. And i live in the South and they have no ambition so i had to quit wrestling.

Anyway, i was on that forum. Before this one. And they would have awards. You'd vote on each i believe is how they did it. We could easily do that.Could we not?

There would have to be rules to which films would be up for. Like made before a certain period like the Academy.

We could do Most Improved Filmmaker. Best feature on the forum. Best short film on the forum. Among many others im sure.

And we could even add voting for films and actors outside of the forum just for fun.

Just an idea. What do you guys think? I think it'd give a boost to us all.

Wasn't there a thread highlighting some Indietalkers a few months ago? I'm inclined to say either FlickerPictures or Nate North started one.

I agree with CF in that I don't think that it'd be fun to judge the shorts on here. The great thing about IT is that there's such a range of talent and experience and that noone feels like they're being judged when they post here. I've always thought that ranking films against one another goes against that spirit.

Forum member awards might be fun though. Most Helpful Member (Audio), Most Helpful Member (Writing), Funniest Post, Most Off-Topic Member, Best Use of Spoiler Tags, Most Memorable Thread...etc.

Who knows? ;)

Well, its not really "competition' if its just for fun and just on the forum, like TC said. He's not talking about having money or trophies as rewards, just for some light-hearted friendly competition and fun.

It sounds good to me. I do like voting on things.

The same people just keep winning over and over.
It can be depressive to the creativity of some of the more lilied forum members.
(I'm just too mean and too stupid to care.) ;)

This sounds a lot like those awards given out in high school yearbooks.

I'm gunning for Class Clown, but I know rayw is a serious competitor in that category. He be sayin' some crazy shit.

This sounds a lot like those awards given out in high school yearbooks.

I'm gunning for Class Clown, but I know rayw is a serious competitor in that category. He be sayin' some crazy shit.

Ha! I love a CF vs rayw clown off for that title :lol:

I think the problem with the Hall of Fame thread is that it was/is asking people to say which films they think are better than others and I don't think that's something members should automatically be signed up to when they post their films here.

If CF nominates himself for clown, then I'm nominating myself for "Best Hair" :P

Attachments

• besthair.jpg
    besthair.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 74
I think the problem with the Hall of Fame thread is that it was/is asking people to say which films they think are better than others and I don't think that's something members should automatically be signed up to when they post their films here.

So what's the alternative? Participation awards all around?

I think that when you upload your films to a public area, you are kind of asking to be judged by default.
More importantly, for many the competitve spirit is what drives them to create better and better work, from which all benefit. Saying that all are equal is not only untrue, it makes it so that there is nothing to aspire to. Every Mcdonalds has an employee of the month. Is indietalk really more nerf than a Mcdonalds?

So what's the alternative? Participation awards all around?

I think that when you upload your films to a public area, you are kind of asking to be judged by default.
More importantly, for many the competitve spirit is what drives them to create better and better work, from which all benefit. Saying that all are equal is not only untrue, it makes it so that there is nothing to aspire to. Every Mcdonalds has an employee of the month. Is indietalk really more nerf than a Mcdonalds?

If you upload a video to the Screening Room you're asking for practical criticism and praise. You're not asking to be judged against the other members of the forum. If people want to have 'competitions' that's fine (I'm all for that) but each person taking part should agree to the competition before hand. What I don't like is saying 'what's the best short film posted here?' which could be dispiriting to people who don't have the resources or experience of others.

This is just my opinion on the matter but I think there's a good reason they don't have an Indietalk sanctioned 'Best Short Film' thread.

I'm on both sides of this. I'm not really a competitive person by nature, and not everyone here has the same goals. You can't fairly judge a weekend warrior against someone striving for professional work. Likewise, someone going for artsy vs. someone going for commercial, etc, etc.

But on the other side, there are some people who do EXCELLENT work. There's no harm in recognizing that. No one really loses anything by not winning. If everyone thinks I did an okay job, but someone did better, that gives me an opportunity to look at the better person's work, and see what I can learn specifically from that (something I try to do anyway). A "Best of the Best" can be all touchy-feely without resorting to "gold stars to everyone for participation."

At the end of the day, I say without irony, we're all in this together. We all want to do the best we can, and we can all learn from each other. Highlighting those doing well and recognizing those who have improved can't hurt the process.

Back