Independent or cinema?

Wsup ppl. I'm considering applying to film school. My institute of choice (vcuARTS) has 2 film programs: cinema and photo-film. Cinema is basically me working with a team of up to 50 ppl(cast,costume design, production,etc) while photo-film is primarily me by myself funding my own independent projects. I'm torn between the 2 because I want to learn how to work with a large crew but I also want to be educated in basic filmmaking. I'm sure you can choose one as a major/minor but I'm having a hard time deciding which to apply to first. I would be cool if I can get some feedback from p who have experienced a similar dilemma or just have an opinion on the subject. Thanx in advance.

Wsup ppl. I'm considering applying to film school. My institute of choice (vcuARTS) has 2 film programs: cinema and photo-film. Cinema is basically me working with a team of up to 50 ppl(cast,costume design, production,etc) while photo-film is primarily me by myself funding my own independent projects. I'm torn between the 2 because I want to learn how to work with a large crew but I also want to be educated in basic filmmaking. I'm sure you can choose one as a major/minor but I'm having a hard time deciding which to apply to first. I would be cool if I can get some feedback from p who have experienced a similar dilemma or just have an opinion on the subject. Thanx in advance.

In my humble opinion, I would go with photo film. Learning the technique of filmmaking is crucial and even time on the set cannot teach you principles in cinematography. Unfortunately, I had to learn by watching and asking. Learning to work with large crews and different positions happens naturally with time.

The structure of unions (specialization in one area) in film is mostly in L.A. and NY. In most of the country, people do two jobs in production to keep working.

If you want to be an independent filmmaker, you need to know the process start to finish.

Best of luck

Back