Independent Film Survey

Hi Guys,

I am doing research about the independent movie recently, I need all indie film lovers' help with that. Can I just quickly ask several general questions about independent movie, and could you please post your answers or opinions under this thread ? That is very useful and important to me to do this research. I hope all of you can do this fever to me . Thank you very much !

Questions:

1. What are the audiences' pleasures of independent films? unique shooting technique ? sensitive content? or ?
2. which element is more important and essential in independent film ? genre? technique? music ? content ? or ?
3.Does independent film influences your attitude towards society? positive or negative?
4.Do you believe that the high sensitivity of political issues is a factor that hinder the growth of independent films compared to mainstream films?
5. What is your prediction of the future about independent film?

This maybe takes less than 10 mins to answer. Thank you for your corporation .

Happy New Year to all of you. Waiting for your reply :)

1. Story telling. Independent film can tell stories that can target a smaller segment of a market. Something that studios just cannot afford to do.
2. Story, content (depending on what you mean by that).
3. It can (but that's any media in general), but rarely does.
4. How do sensitive politicians hinder independent filmmaking? Making a leading question? I think this question assumes an incorrect premise.
5. It'll continue. As the cost of creating films continues to come down, more and more independent films will continue to get made. Less and less (as a ratio) will get cinematic release and more towards VOD/free distribution. There is also a chance that a lot of filmmaking will move to the youtube style market and create a lot more cheaper short form work to attract advertising dollars, reduce costs and build audiences.

Hi, thank you for your answers..That's very useful to me.

In terms of the No.4 question, the premise was that in some countries such as India or China, there is a limitation for independent filmmakers to talk about sensitive topic such as drugs or eroticism or other serious stories. That may brings social panic or something, which force government or relative agencies to limited the release of such an independent film. That's why we assume the sensitive topics may hinder the development of independent film. Do you have any other opinions ?

I'm glad to discuss with you. Thank you very much.

1. Story telling. Independent film can tell stories that can target a smaller segment of a market. Something that studios just cannot afford to do.
2. Story, content (depending on what you mean by that).
3. It can (but that's any media in general), but rarely does.
4. It'll continue. As the cost of creating films continues to come down, more and more independent films will continue to get made. Less and less (as a ratio) will get cinematic release and more towards VOD/free distribution. There is also a chance that a lot of filmmaking will move to the youtube style market and create a lot more cheaper short form work to attract advertising dollars, reduce costs and build audiences.
-------------------;);););)
4. How do sensitive politicians hinder independent filmmaking? Making a leading question? I think this question assumes an incorrect premise.

Hi, thank you for your answers..That's very useful to me.

In terms of the No.4 question, the premise was that in some countries such as India or China, there is a limitation for independent filmmakers to talk about sensitive topic such as drugs or eroticism or other serious stories. That may brings social panic or something, which force government or relative agencies to limited the release of such an independent film. That's why we assume the sensitive topics may hinder the development of independent film. Do you have any other opinions ?

I'm glad to discuss with you. Thank you very much.

1. What are the audiences' pleasures of independent films? unique shooting technique ? sensitive content? or ?
Story. That's all anyone cares about. Everything else is just
personal creativity.

2. which element is more important and essential in independent film ? genre? technique? music ? content ? or ?
Genre, technique, music and content are all equally important
and essential. No one element is more important or essential
in independent film. A movie (any movie) that puts one of those
elements above others will not be a good film.

3.Does independent film influences your attitude towards society? positive or negative?
No. Film (independent or studio) does not influence my attitude
towards society.

4.Do you believe that the high sensitivity of political issues is a factor that hinder the growth of independent films compared to mainstream films?
No. However since you have amended this question to countries
where the government controls filmmaking and speech then of
course there are issues that hinder the growth of independent
filmmaking in those countries. I agree with Sweetie; this question
is leading and makes inaccurate assumptions.

Independent film has thrived and grown since the dawn of film.
The future of independent film will not change - it will continue
to thrive and grow. People will always and forever make movies
outside of the studio system.

Last edited:

Entertainment. Filmmaking is storytelling. I want to experience a story.

All of them. They support each other and are brought together to create an illusion.

They could, but few have actually changed my outlook on how I few society.

Yes and no. It is a contributing factor. There are many topics that are a bit touchy for people, many regarding politics/religion/social issues.

It will continue to grow, larger and larger.

Since I don't live or release films to those areas, I don't have any experience in that area nor have any sort of informed opinion on the subject. I live in a country where freedom of speech is almost absolute so it becomes a moot point for me.

Since I don't live or release films to those areas, I don't have any experience in that area nor have any sort of informed opinion on the subject. I live in a country where freedom of speech is almost absolute so it becomes a moot point for me.

Cool then. I'm glad to know that. Thank you very much. :)

Definitely not shooting technique.
Non-Hollywood stories would probably be the main attraction.

Most independent films are miserable stories that large studios are pretty sure they won't make any money off of - because they are miserable stories, and not enough people wanna pay to see miserable stories.
Gnere runs the gamut. Horror, drama, thriller, drama, dark dramedy, etc... Doesn't matter.
Pfft. No one cares about technique other than does it look good or bad.
Nope on the music.
Content - Yes! At least for the audience to appreciate it.
For an independent filmmaker often they could care less about the audience. If they like it - great. If not - f#ck 'em.

Sorta.
Independent film is evidence that non-corporate entities can produce creative arts in a cinematic form.
So, in that regard I feel good that I live in such a "free" society.
Another influence is that the subject material often displays and confirms that dysfunction runs throughout our society as evidenced by the preponderance of "Oh! I have a story to tell! And it's dysfunctional! It's GREAT entertainment!"
Pretty much I get the impression most independent filmmakers really could give a rats a$$ about the audience.
Mostly they just wanna make a film.
So, in that regard it's nice to know that I live in that kind of society.

Depends entirely upon what country it's being filmed and released in.
In the U.S. there's almost no limits other than social and a few legal limits.

Content aggregators have a sustainable business model, while independent filmmaker director/producers/"investors":lol: continue to bear the greatest fiscal burden and risk.
With more content larger collections of high quality product can be bundled together at very low cost.
Great for consumers.
Very demanding on (relative) low barrier to entry content producers.

Definitely not shooting technique.
Non-Hollywood stories would probably be the main attraction.

Most independent films are miserable stories that large studios are pretty sure they won't make any money off of - because they are miserable stories, and not enough people wanna pay to see miserable stories.
Gnere runs the gamut. Horror, drama, thriller, drama, dark dramedy, etc... Doesn't matter.
Pfft. No one cares about technique other than does it look good or bad.
Nope on the music.
Content - Yes! At least for the audience to appreciate it.
For an independent filmmaker often they could care less about the audience. If they like it - great. If not - f#ck 'em.

Sorta.
Independent film is evidence that non-corporate entities can produce creative arts in a cinematic form.
So, in that regard I feel good that I live in such a "free" society.
Another influence is that the subject material often displays and confirms that dysfunction runs throughout our society as evidenced by the preponderance of "Oh! I have a story to tell! And it's dysfunctional! It's GREAT entertainment!"
Pretty much I get the impression most independent filmmakers really could give a rats a$$ about the audience.
Mostly they just wanna make a film.
So, in that regard it's nice to know that I live in that kind of society.

Depends entirely upon what country it's being filmed and released in.
In the U.S. there's almost no limits other than social and a few legal limits.

Content aggregators have a sustainable business model, while independent filmmaker director/producers/"investors":lol: continue to bear the greatest fiscal burden and risk.
With more content larger collections of high quality product can be bundled together at very low cost.
Great for consumers.
Very demanding on (relative) low barrier to entry content producers.

Thank you for your answer, that's very useful.

For me i like to spot someone who designs the set well, lights it with a sexual asthetic, The camerawork must compliment the acting and feeling of the room, story can be weak if everything else is strong.

Style and Genre - it must be unique to gain my attention (genre cant really be unique, but it is the style in which it is done that gives it fresh feeling)

Yes it does, both positively and negatively.

I highly doubt it, I think it benefits them.

Soon everyone will become or want to be a filmmaker just like singers and actors, however rather than lose the quality as seems to be the case with films and actors and singers these days, i believe we will filter more and more people out and gain more gems, i think film genre will diversify and expand into a new realm.

Questions:

Meaningful content, I'd like to say 'beautiful' but sometimes 'ugliness' is important to watch as well. It's not about WHAT the story is but how it's told. With independent films I usually expect their to be more beautiful visual aesthetics and more meaningful/truthful storytelling than what Hollywood is currently providing

All elements are equally important, and any element used is equally essential. I personally appreciate cinematography and editing most, but the overall product has to have everything to be on a 'good' level for me for a film to be good, and then some elements reach 'outstanding.' If a film has pretty much all elements 'outstanding' to me then it's one of my favorite films ever, a GREAT film in my opinion.

I think so though not in a very direct way. I always think of cinema (and the other arts) as speaking to the heart and when they are good they leave something with me that will stay with me forever. The insights I gain from film, either emotionally or intellectually do change me in some ways. I don't think my outlook on society sees a huge immediate change from watching one film, but over time the impact of several films can be felt on my worldview (if I love the film AND accept its message).

To some extent, I think so. There is some extreme cinema or cinema with certain themes (such as homosexuality, rape, torture, etc.) that are not properly explored as often as other types of cinema because there has been censorship over the years. This has been changing though. A film like A Real Young Woman would not be banned today (and isn't) nor would a film like Salo. Still though, the lack of any significant audience due to its content hinders the growth of this type of cinema.

The future of independent film is a tricky subject because the lines between what is cinema and what is not cinema is now blurring more than ever. Is a film intended for the internet, cinema? I would say so, but then wouldn't video art be cinema too? I think that the true diversity of what the medium can (and has been) exploring will truly stand out now. With new outlets, there will be a place to show more films to a niche audience, and this is really good for independent film. For better or worse, films won't be seen on the big screen as often but this may be a good thing for independent filmmakers. Even with new outlets though, I still think that audiences will gravitate towards films made with a mainstream sensibility because they are more accessible and have bigger budgets which means better marketing/advertising.

I don't like to predict much, but I see more and more smaller countries from Africa and Asia producing great cinematic output. The original three nations (France, USA, and Japan) will no longer dominate world cinema as there is much to be seen from these countries that rarely had a chance to make films before. As a viewer, I'm very excited for what will happen in the world of independent cinema (not so much for Hollywood.

As a filmmaker, I am scared that filmmaking will never be enough to make a living by. But since cinema is my passion all I really care about is making and watching films, not money so it doesn't concern me THAT much.

Hi Guys,

I am doing research about the independent movie recently, I need all indie film lovers' help with that. Can I just quickly ask several general questions about independent movie, and could you please post your answers or opinions under this thread ? That is very useful and important to me to do this research. I hope all of you can do this fever to me . Thank you very much !

Questions:

Unrestrained by Hollywood meddeling and true freedom, free of consideration (mostly), of what will put asses in seats. Unless of course you are dealing with an independent showman like a Lloyd Kaufman or a William Castle.

Originality.

If a story and idea is told well, possibly.

Not in America.

More kickstarter and crowdfunding. I see this as a good thing.

That depends on what you mean by independent films. At one end of the scale, large budget indie films, audiences ultimately pay to be entertained. This goal is the same as studio films, so many of the same filmmaking rules apply but large budget indie films still have more freedom to experiment with both the content and the story telling and are therefore less formulaic than most studio films. This is particularly appealing to some, those who are bored by the standard formula studio films. At the other end of the scale, no and extremely low budget films, audiences mostly comprise friends/family of the filmmakers and other filmmakers. The main pleasure for friends/family is seeing and supporting the efforts of the filmmaker and for other filmmakers there maybe a range of pleasures; comparison with their own work, analysing/learning and maybe supporting too.

Again, depends on the film and why it was made. Big budget indies need a return on investment and therefore need to be good across the board, all the elements have to be strong or at least, not have any weaknesses which distract the audience from the story telling and stop them being entertained. At the other end of the scale there maybe a range of reasons why the film was made. If made for film festivals for example, some of the filmmaking elements maybe more important than others, to appeal to the adjudicating panel of other filmmakers (cinematography for example).

Depends entirely on the story (subject matter) and how well the story is told.

Generally no, as most indie films are not directly related to politically sensitive issues, either portraying political issues or affected by them. In some areas of the world though political issues may restrict film content and/or the filmmakers themselves, even if the content is not political, and that would hinder the growth of indie film in that area.

As the technology becomes ever cheaper, so the number of people able to make films and the number of films being made will increase. This will make it increasingly difficult to stand out from the expanding crowd and get noticed. Markets are driven by supply and demand, as the increase in supply outstrips any increase in demand, it will become increasingly difficult to achieve any decent financial returns. However, for those few who do manage to beat the long odds and stand out from the crowd, there is likely to be a greater amount of financial and career opportunities.

G

Last edited:
Back