IE Browser Alert

I know at least 3 who use IE voluntarily.

I also know at least 3 people who choose to push their car rather than drive it :lol:

Some web sites require it. Some businesses require IE for online training classes for their employees.

Microsoft recommends setting firewall settings to high filtering and IE 10 & 11 users to go to the "Advanced" tab and "Security" Menu and check off the "Enhanced Protection Mode" setting box.

I can't help wonder if the person who hacked IE is giving Microsoft back the middle finger for dropping Windows XP support.

I love IE. I don't care what the smarty pantses say. Chrome sucks. Well, it's a mere shadow of IE, so far as I can tell, so far. I don't know why people hate IE. I don't know where anything is in Chrome. How is that user friendly? Anyway, I'm big on favorites/bookmarks, and creating folders and keeping them organized...like a virtual filing cabinet. That's the biggest reason it gets my love. Chrome seems to suck by comparison.

Anyway, I might not have even heard about the security threat, if I hadn't happened to be off yesterday. I knew I'd appreciate the heads-up. Thought it might be possible someone else out there uses IE. :P

I love IE. I don't care what the smarty pantses say. Chrome sucks. Well, it's a mere shadow of IE, so far as I can tell, so far. I don't know why people hate IE. I don't know where anything is in Chrome. How is that user friendly? Anyway, I'm big on favorites/bookmarks, and creating folders and keeping them organized...like a virtual filing cabinet. That's the biggest reason it gets my love. Chrome seems to suck by comparison.

Anyway, I might not have even heard about the security threat, if I hadn't happened to be off yesterday. I knew I'd appreciate the heads-up. Thought it might be possible someone else out there uses IE. :P

Generally the hate for IE revolves around its clunky interface, thus why people enjoy Chrome a whole lot more - it's simplistic, but fairly complex if need be.

In my experience with IE, it's also a whole lot slower than Chrome or other browsers. If the only reason you like IE is because of the interface and the ability to store bookmarks, I'd suggest Firefox... same style of interface but IMO it's faster.

Actually I'd say the hate for IE isn't mostly due to the interface, it comes mostly from the developer side.

There is a set of published standards for how html elements and css should behave and display when a document is rendered by a browser. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and their mobile equivalents all adhere very closely to these standards, meaning a web developer can build to the standard and be fairly confident that the page will display and behave correctly across all of these browsers with minimal changes.

Microsoft has dragged their feet for years about making IE compatible with those standards. They've preferred to maintain their own proprietary way of doing things which is often significantly different than the published standard, and the older the version of IE the worse it is in terms of displaying standardized html. There are also significant differences in the way various versions render the same element, even sometimes between point versions. It's only in the most recent versions that IE has even come close to matching the standards.

The problem is that since IE has such a large installed base, a lot of users still have old versions of the browser. This means it takes an incredible amount of work to make a website look and function the same across all those versions. You have to add code to the site to determine which browser and version is being used, and then serve up different versions of the html & css to accommodate them.

So there's been a lot of pressure from the development community to get people to switch away from IE over the last decade or so, because it basically breaks the web. It also represents the antithesis of the open web - one company attempting to control the way the web works, in order to protect their market share against competitors. The original reason MS included all these proprietary functions was part of their effort to leverage their desktop monopoly to kill Netscape. Honestly the only reason MS has come around to standards lately is because they've gradually lost so much market share to their standardized competitors and are no longer in a position to try and force people to develop to their proprietary methods.

I don't know a single web developer who develops for IE first. You develop in chrome or firefox to the published standards, and then you do your best to make things work in IE afterwards. That means that if you're just browsing the web you'll get the best experience if you use a browser other than IE, as you're seeing the site the way the original developer & designer intended. If you insist on using IE, make sure you're using the latest version (9 at an absolute minimum) as it'll get you closest to the way things are supposed to work. For flat out performance in complex web sites Chrome is currently the best because they've done a lot of work to optimize their css and javascript rendering engines.

Last edited:
Back