• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch I will never be homeless

I thought maybe you did the color effect in After Effects, it has a tool that let's you do that (don't ask me how I know, it's a surprise :secret: ). I like that someone had the guts to go straight drama in this competition. You managed to portray a compelling moral without getting preachy.

Poke

Cohen...
Wow...... Now that was some acting you did. I love the poem and most of all the color you did. How did you do that. good job. And I hope to see some more work like that soon. I have always love Black & White with only a few things having color too them.
Good Job
-Mike

Kudos for taking on a serious subject. This is clearly an issue that means a great deal to you. One of filmmakings greatest assests is its ability to reach people in a way that no other medium can achieve. Based on the responses of all those who have posted before me you have indeed achieved the goal of effecting the way people view the world. Good work.

Oh and by the way.... how did you achieve that effect with the color. (;) sorry I couldn't help myself)

With a film like this, it's no wonder you can have people address you as HailToTheKing.

I went through it again (okay, several times) trying to pick it apart and find some errors. Aside from crossing the line at the intersection where the minivan goes by... and even that's just a minor point. :(

This is the best film you have ever made, Cohen... and you were making good ones before this! :cool:

_______

P.S. Better spill the beans on that colour-trick before half the messageboard forms a lynch-mob) :lol:

Well I think I can reply now to all the wonderful responds now that the film has been online more than 24 hours. First and for most, thank you all for watching the movie and taking it for what it is. :) I'm so pleased to see the film getting a great responds. I really didn't know how people would respond as it is an issue we have all faced in the world.

2nd about the color thing..... :lol: You guys are great. I'll just say this for right now, you are close..MAYBE. But really it was a simple effect but yet it severed it's purpose very well. I believe in movie magic and I'd like to keep it that way for awhile.

Spatula-Your right on the money about symbolism of blue sky scene. I'm glad you "got" that scene. Didn't know if it translated well. I tried to choose the colors I thought would let the audience feel more what the bum was going threw at that time. The colors were chosen carefully.

vegasindiestv-Going to be sending this and Invisible Man in to you VERY SOON. I PROMISE! :D

Zen-Your too KIND with your last statement there. :blush: Yes I have the score by itself, and I emailed Rich Douglas to ask if I could post it.

Poke-
I wanted to shoot this on 16mm B&W so bad, as it would have gave us a more "grainy" look into the bum's life. I was thinking either of mixing video and film, but decided I would shoot it all film. At one point I was contacting a few labs to see if they could do color tinting/ toning to some of the frames of the 16mm film. But with the time limit, shooting, processing, editing ect. It would have not been entered for the contest. But working with digital made it easier to do the color effects I wanted to do. Of course I could have imported the final 16mm print into Vegas and did it as well. Next time I'll have to shoot film. :yes:

I went back and watched it. I noticed that the slits in the park bench show B&W footage through them. That means you had to go in and map it out perfectly. Good job on that.

Poke

Hey Hail, was there any particular reason why you chose this subject? Any personal stories that led you to tackle the subject?

I don't mean to pry, it's just that it came out of left field for me.

Poke

Just finished watching it...

I don't remember seeing any of your other films...

I thought the poem was a good poem but I thought the reading lacked the drama of the actual footage.

I also felt that the bum character was pretty well acted... Better than the other character... Funny how that works since I assume it's the same person.

I got the symbolism of the sky and I felt it really worked well with the poem and bum. I also noticed that the bum's main source of comfort props were green... Not sure if I got the symbolism there though.

Nice little short... I felt some of the shots were a little too long which made me feel like it was a little slow. Maybe with some more coverage and insert editing to make it move a little faster...

Good job.

filmy

Poke said:
Hey Hail, was there any particular reason why you chose this subject? Any personal stories that led you to tackle the subject?

I don't mean to pry, it's just that it came out of left field for me.

Poke

I wanted to try something totally different and something that is happening right now in the world. I knew it would come out of left field for people that's seen my past work. I found the poem on a website, really liked it and saw what I could do with it visually. I contacted the writer and started talking with her and telling her what I wanted to do with her poem. It's interesting because for a time the writer was homeless, so this poem was taking from an experience she had or saw. So I think it made it much more real to have had someone that had been there. Since then she has begin to put her life back together.

I'm on a drama kick right now too, so that had something to do with it. But I wanted to do something that could really appeal to people...make them think about there own lives. With the responds from the board it's doing BEYOND what I thought. It is a touchy subject matter and I wasn't sure if everyone would "get it" or not. But you guys have been great! You're like my test audience before I start sending it to fests, showing it to others ect. :cool: IndieTalk rocks!

Nique Zoolio said:
what does 'it came out of left field' mean?

It means it was something in a drastic direction from the expected... aka...
It would be like Hitler renouncing his evilness and becoming a buddah while in the bunker!
Now, THAT would have been out of left field!

(Term comes from American obsession with baseball, referring to the "left field" position, but I'm Canadian, so I only know the significance of Hockey terms..)
:lol:

The original meaning was a quick throw out of left field that surprised a runner at home plate. So you can see how it became known as something that surprises you.

By the way, at least we're not obsessed with Bacon (Canadians are obsessed with bacon right?)

Poke

The home plate is both the starting point and the destination for all runners.

To get a run added to your score, you have to make it from home plate to first base then second base then third base and back to home plate without one of the feilders getting you out by either tagging you with the ball, or tagging one of the bases while you are not on it (if you are touching a base you are safe, you can not be tagged out).

The out-fielders (left, center, right) usually can not tag a runner out since they are no where near the bases like the in-fielders (first baseman, second baseman, short stop, and third baseman). If the left fielder gets the ball and the runner on thrid base tries to make it home, the left fielder (if strong enough) can throw the ball to the cathcer (behind home plate) to surprise the runner coming home.

Thus the term "out of left field."

Here is a helpful diagram of the baseball diamond. If you hover over the little squares it gives you a description of the position and it's purpose. There's also a lot of helpful info on this site.

Whew. I never thought baseball could be so hard to explain. I mean I grew up with it, so to me it just comes natural.

Sorry to derail the topic a bit Hail. Let's get back to this film.

Poke

Poke said:
Whew. I never thought baseball could be so hard to explain. I mean I grew up with it, so to me it just comes natural.

Sorry to derail the topic a bit Hail. Let's get back to this film.

Poke

I was hoping that our British friends would explain Cricket to US! :lol:

Chris

P.S. On second thought...

whosonfirstBudandLou.jpg
"Who's on first?"

Alright back on topic guys! :P

Back