I want to start off strong

Hi, everyone,

I'm a screenwriter looking to break into the industry. I'm more into writing dynamic, action-oriented films with an artistic touch and messages. I'd like to be in contact with an independent film production company (regardless of experience), I really like the spirit of fraternity within a team, I hope one day to be part of one.

I've already set up a logline of one of my projects on my profile, hoping to get noticed.

If you have any advice on how I can get in touch with a team, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you very much for your time.

I've discussed this elsewhere on the forum but in today's world? My humble opinion is to go after Managers. Agents will rarely, if ever, read an unsolicited spec script. They will read referrals if the person referring your script is someone they know and trust but the majority of the time? They simply won't read an unsolicited script.

Managers on the other hand are always looking for the next best narrative feature to exploit just like agents but that single layer of protection they create by not reading unsolicited specs keeps them from reading a whole hell of a lot of garbage. Managers on the other hand are looking for clients whose specs they can exploit as soon as possible so they are usually willing to read an unsolicited PITCH.

Notice I said PITCH and not spec screenplay. That's the key here.

So if you have a MARKETABLE SPEC SCREENPLAY i.e., a high concept spec... You'll need to develop and create a short, consise pitch that you can send via email to the specific manager in question. Emails like info@suchandsuchmanagementfirm.com won't normally be read or replied to so keep that in mind.

If you're NOT writing high concept specs? Don't expect a lot of attention when it comes to replies. I'm not saying one cannot break in without a high concept spec but I can easily say a good high concept, well-executed spec can get your foot in the door a hell of a lot faster than a non-marketable spec.

As far as management firms out there? I believe I have a reply somewhere here with some of that information... But if I'm mistaken? Google is your FRIEND!

You usually only have ONE SHOT at getting someone's attention when you send an unsolicited pitch via email. Don't waste it! Make your pitch the very BEST it can possibly be. Take a few days to formulate it. Read it to friends or anyone you know that may know a little about the entertainment industry and flat out ask them IF that's a movie they'd pay $10 to sit through.

You could even share it here if you're not worried about someone using it to write their own material around. We will certainly tell you what we think and we have some pretty decent heads around here.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back