I seriously need help

In a couple pf months I might just get my first big job. It's for a "Reel Big" band (I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say, but if you're a fan then you caught that) and I'll be making a documentary of their new album to be included with the cd. My problem is that I have no idea what to charge. I will be doing all the shooting and editing myself and I have my own equipment. They want a 30 to 60 minute video. The project would also involve me relocating to California for some time. They're on Jive record so they're not exactly poor. I want to give them the best deal possible without ripping myself off. That's about it, if anybody can give me an idea of what to charge I would be very happy. Thanks,
Nickundefined

That's a toughie because I don't have a enough details, but I think I'd plan on $1000 a finished minute. I'd bring on a good an audio person and PA. The audio person is a must because doc filmmaking is tough and they'll know tricks to get you good audio.

Scott

Yeah, silver - not enough info to go on.

Your level of experience for example. I’ve done a few of these kids of projects and I wouldn’t charge less than $300/day. And that’s just for me.

I’d need a good AC ($150/day) a top audio person ($275/day) and at least one (I prefer two) good runner/PA/driver’s ($100/day). I’d have an AE standing by to log footage during the shoot ($150/day).

Then equipment rental (even if you own, you charge a rental) and other expenses. You really need to go over every single detail befor you give them a price.

You could go two ways with it.. charge what you should be worth, when compared to other industry folks... and get a good product, etc..

Or charge a bit less than that and unless you totally destroy their video get repeat business from them as well as recommendations from them to other bands to have you do work for 'em..

Sure maybe that's reaching a bit, but that's the way my previous employer (a mobile DJ guy) has built his business over the past 25 years.. he's consistently the most busy dj service in the twin cities, and says that at least half of his business (probably more like 60-70%) is either straight up repeat business or referrals. Not bad for a business where essentially they're just sending out some schmoe to play a few songs at your wedding or whatnot. :)

You are so right, Will. Repeat business and referrals account for 98% of my jobs.

I was recently asked for a copy of my reel. I was a little surprised when I couldn't find it for some time. When I finally DID track down a copy I realised it was 3 years out of date. I haven't been asked to show my reel in 3 years.

Repeat business and referrals!

I kinda figured the repeat/referral thing might be an even higher percentage in the film/video world, but I still lack the first hand experience to try to be an authority on the subject. ;)

Good for you, though directorik! Must be doing something right.. :lol:

Back