• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I never learn... any ideas to get me out of this mess...

So I vowed not to do anymore horribly low-budget music vids and then I was persuaded by a nice meal, a lift over there and back, a good looking location and creative freedom. On top of that, the artist told me they would organise everything right down to the talent. I thought, OK, I'm not doing anything meaningful in the morning so I'll do it. What could go wrong?

I never learn...

Anyhow, I am in a situation where the talent didn't turn up, the artist turned up incredibly late (so there was no shoot time etc...) and I am now stuck with a tiny bit of hastily shot footage of a singer playing an instrument and singing along.

My thought is to go multi-screen, split the screen into different bits, move the bits around the screen, cut back to fullscreen occasionally but essentially try to make it interesting through using multi-screen. However, I've never seen a really good multi-screen vid. The ones I have seen are usually along these lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2RA0vsZXf8

Or just pretty dull.

Has anyone seen a good one they could share?

Last edited:

Ironically, the singer loves the 30 minute rough cut I threw together at the last minute... Although at this stage, it is just a quick and dirty idea which needs a load of work.

Alcove Audio saves the day - thanks - IOU a beer. As a note, the one element you were not aware of is how much she loves 1950s Americana so when I threw in a couple of old, royalty-free clips, she went crazy...

Maybe I should do this more often... a couple of hours of shooting, an hour of editing and in return I get a beautiful meal in a nice restaurant with all the beer I can drink. The bill for the food and beer she picked up was around $100 USD so around $33 USD an hour.

Musicians...

Back