I need to shoot a monster transformation scene

It's essentially an 8 year old girl in pajamas transforming into a giant furry beast. We only see bits and pieces and it's dark in the room with just a flashlight from another character. Any ideas how to do this? I want to try and use all practical effects instead of getting it in post.

Show a shadow, thrown on the wall from the flashlight, of the girl - then have the monster step up behind her so the shape emerges from hers in the shadow. Maybe intercut with some close ups of the monster hand emerging from the sleeve of her shirt, etc.

Shoot the scene with the 8 year old in her pjs normally. Then find her a furry halloween costume, put her in it, then put her pjs back on and film again. Cut and edit to make it flow how you want.

Cutaways to the moon, or clock, or shadow on the wall, or mom watching in horror... add bits of transformation to the girl each time, so you've got 5-6 stages of transformation being filmed, then cutaways/reaction shots to get you from one to the next.

the easiest way to do this is to go out into the woods and capture a werewolf... you'll have to sacrifice this child's health in order for this to work, but let the werewolf bite the child... set up the lighting on a full moon night and press record.

You're welcome.

If you wanted something really visual, in my opinion, you could always get away with doing the extreme closeups of the girl transforming. For example, a closeup of the eyes, maybe just some basic VFX work to "transform" them a bit. The good thing about those shots is you can even get away with NOT using the girl, or even a person. You can always have your arm in a "furry monster" costume splitting through the PJ arm parts or something. Just a thought.

Back