• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I need some screenwriting help

I just had the disappointment of my screenwriter disappearing on me after I wasted about four months with him, so I'm going to try to write this horror script myself but I'm going to be honest and say I need some help but I don't have money, my mom, dad and I just settled ourselves into a new place after months of being homeless so all I'm working off of is a dream of trying to create something great on paper. So, can someone work with me in writing this script idea I have scene by scene or if no one is willing to do that, can I post scene by scene here on the forum for people to review and let me know if it's written right because I really think I have a great screenplay idea that could be a great film but I only have some experience in writing a screenplay.

I'd be happy to take a look at what you've got. And I'm sure the forum would be willing to offer plenty of good advice too if you want to go that way.

Some main points: Remember STRUCTURE
Proper script formatting, such as slug lines, action blocks, etc.
Also the three act structure.

Basically, Act 1 is to set up the world, characters, and introduce what the story is abut.
Act 2 is the bulk of the script and is driven by conflict-obstacles preventing the protagonist from achieving the goal. There is often a midpoint where a goal is reached and a new one introduced, or a twist.
Act 3 is the resolution and contains the darkest moment for the characters.

Here are my notes:

ACT 1 (15-20)
Setup/Hook
Establish character
Forms relationships
Launch dramatic premise (about–theme)
Illustrates dramatic situation (where)
Brings in dramatic context (what goes on/wrong in location?)
(^By page 3)
Establish need
Establish problem
(^By page 10–most)
––
MPP 1

ACT 2 (60-65)
Confrontation & Conflict
Prevents from achieving dramatic need (overall driving force) (take away/give opposite)
––
MPP 2

ACT 3 (15-20)
Resolution
Tie in to setup

Characters are imperative to a story as well. They must be relateable, with flaws like you or I and in some way, we root for them. Relationships between them too must be believable.
The antagonist should be established as threatening in some way. sooner or later, there should be that moment where you realize, oh shit, they're legit. Though they should have a dramatic need of their own. Dramatic need, no matter who, drives a character through the script.

Also, dialogue is a problem for some. if you find it is for you, listen to some conversations. Write them down so you can see how it flows on the page. Each character's dialogue when read should usually be apparent that it's coming from them.

So those are my two cents. often times, starting with a logline before even writing is helpful.

I wish you all the luck. let us know the progress and ask all the questions you need.

-Daniel

Last edited:
I just had the disappointment of my screenwriter disappearing on me after I wasted about four months with him, so I'm going to try to write this horror script myself but I'm going to be honest and say I need some help but I don't have money, my mom, dad and I just settled ourselves into a new place after months of being homeless so all I'm working off of is a dream of trying to create something great on paper. So, can someone work with me in writing this script idea I have scene by scene or if no one is willing to do that, can I post scene by scene here on the forum for people to review and let me know if it's written right because I really think I have a great screenplay idea that could be a great film but I only have some experience in writing a screenplay.

Yes, this is a feature I plan to make/direct upon (hopefully) getting funding...
I think it was a useful lesson in learning the business. I understand where you're coming from but from the writer's perspective, you started offering him large sums of money which in all reality would never materialize. Instead of helping to educate you and work with you, he sought to let you find out the hard way. Honestly, I think it's good that you learn to write a screenplay so you're in a better position to evaluate future scripts as producer and director.

Given the financial constraints, it would be better to think in terms of a short film initially. There are so many possibilities with today's technology. People make awesome shorts using just their iPhones. Check out this episode of Film Riot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptz_ybNRavg).

Short films can be great ways to get noticed (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and learn about film techniques as a background for that feature. Shorts don't take a long to write, don't require as much to make and can be great opportunities for networking with others also interested in filmmaking.

Do read some books or check resources online about formatting and script writing. I find it's easier to write up the whole story first. This summary or treatment gives you a solid basis to convert into a script. As Daniel pointed out, there is a structure that helps guide development. As a rough guide, the first act is 25% of the script, the second act which is the meat of the action is about 50%-60% and the third act wraps up the package and is 15%-20%. It's important to remember that film is predominantly a audiovisual experience. The role of the script is to develop character and layout story and action. It is a blueprint for the film. A well formatted script can help with budgeting, scheduling as a production tool.

I know you have your major film idea. Try starting with a smaller project to gain some experience. If you've never directed or been on a movie set, volunteer on other people's projects. One, you'll learn something. Two, you start making contacts. Three, you have fun.

Good luck.

I think it was a useful lesson in learning the business. I understand where you're coming from but from the writer's perspective, you started offering him large sums of money which in all reality would never materialize. Instead of helping to educate you and work with you, he sought to let you find out the hard way. Honestly, I think it's good that you learn to write a screenplay so you're in a better position to evaluate future scripts as producer and director.

Given the financial constraints, it would be better to think in terms of a short film initially. There are so many possibilities with today's technology. People make awesome shorts using just their iPhones. Check out this episode of Film Riot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptz_ybNRavg).

Short films can be great ways to get noticed (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and learn about film techniques as a background for that feature. Shorts don't take a long to write, don't require as much to make and can be great opportunities for networking with others also interested in filmmaking.

Do read some books or check resources online about formatting and script writing. I find it's easier to write up the whole story first. This summary or treatment gives you a solid basis to convert into a script. As Daniel pointed out, there is a structure that helps guide development. As a rough guide, the first act is 25% of the script, the second act which is the meat of the action is about 50%-60% and the third act wraps up the package and is 15%-20%. It's important to remember that film is predominantly a audiovisual experience. The role of the script is to develop character and layout story and action. It is a blueprint for the film. A well formatted script can help with budgeting, scheduling as a production tool.

I know you have your major film idea. Try starting with a smaller project to gain some experience. If you've never directed or been on a movie set, volunteer on other people's projects. One, you'll learn something. Two, you start making contacts. Three, you have fun.

Good luck.

Well I have directed short films before and such during college, several short films and for this writer who just up and disappeared, I don't think it was about the money because we were corresponding fine until he had me write the beginning scene and I did and when I sent it over to him and told him that during writing it, I began experiencing some eerie, supernatural occurrences - like my lights going out for an hour, I began experiencing chest pains - because the story we were working on is based on an actual curse that under the belief of others has killed people and so I don't know if that scared him away or not, lol - actually it's not funny to be honest, it's kind of very, very depressing to me....

Anyway, to the first person who replied, I'll pm you and thank you to the second person for giving the tips you did. They will help.

Back