• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I just want my shots to stay in focus!!

I am looking to keep my shots in focus. I am currently shooting on a 5D Mark III, which I'm sure many of you know it does not have auto focus. Using the 5D is great for shots without a lot of movement and the quality is beautiful however, if my subject even moves the slightest my shots go out of focus. I do own a follow focus, but I currently do not have an experienced assistant camera to pull focus and I personally find it very hard to pull focus and operate my camera at the same time. I am considering investing in a pro camcorder such as the Panasonic HMC150 (which I have about four weeks experience using) and taking advantage of what both cameras have to offer. Does anyone have any pro camcorder suggestions? Is anyone out there currently shooting with the HMC150? My budget is between $1000-$2000. :huh:

You don't have to shoot every shot with the lens wide open. Stoping down will give you larger depth of field. If you're shooting wide open because of lack of light, you won't be very happy with a "professional" camcorder in low light settings either.

you havent mentioned what lens your shooting with, I suspect your shooting at either f1-f2 but if you shoot at f4-f8 you should have most of your frame in focus with some let off, but if you think getting a camcorder will help your skills then your wrong, you need to learn with your DSLR ! I run with my 600d and still get someone in focus.

not saying its easy, but autofocus is like riding a bike with stabilisers its unprofessional, it doesnt benefit your learning and its quite embarrassing..

what you should do is line up 3 cups vertically behind each other from your view then practice rack focus this will help your skills, you can learn the different f-stops etc

I recommend you to invest this money to get lights! So you can stop down your aperture and increase your focus range. I got 2 setlights of 1000W and it's not only useful to this, but the look of the scenes get more and more beautiful when you have good lights to work, it makes all the difference. With $1000-$2000 you can buy a lot of light. :)

Right, as others have mentioned, you need to take control of your depth of field. If you can't control focus using shallow depth of field, then shoot wider.

In a nutshell, wider lens + bigger F-stop = deep focus (wider depth of field, aka what you want). :)

Everyone has mentioned the basics. Let me go a step further and ask if you're using any marks to focus accurately. If not, you will be wanting to use them soon as your skill improves and you want to do other types of shots.

I would study up on that as well.

Make a crib sheet of your own DoF tests.
(Pretty much disregard what's printed on any documentation. Do it yourself. :))

Mount your camera on a tripod.
Pop on lens A.
Set the aperture to as wide open as it goes.
Find a long surface to shoot, like a couter top or fence railing.
Run a METRIC tape measure out, tape head at the tripod's center column support.
Zoom max out - everything should pretty much be in focus.
Roll video for review on a computer later.
Now, zoom max in - very little should be in focus, a narrow DoF.
Roll video.

Repeat at successive stops.
Document precise measurements of what the ACTUAL focal fields are at different f stops and zooms.

Repeat with all your lenses.

Make a crib sheet of what's in focus where, enter this into a spreadsheet program so that you can always print a new one out when the current print out gets lost.

"Lens A @ fX has a Ycm sharp focal field between Zcm and Acm out (from a fixed position, the tripod's central column.)"

Keep this DoF by f stop x zoom crib sheet print out in your camera bag.

Now you can go into a situation, figure out what and where things in motion are going to be, where you and the camera with what lens are going to be OR NEED TO BE to achieve the effect you want, and refer to your crib sheet to KNOW how much focal leeway you can move around in.

“At f2 on my Xmm lens I have a crisp Ycm DoF between Z and A.
I can move within a known range to maintain constant focus.”

Or - you could change the f stop.
Or - you could change lenses.
Or - you could change your movement.
Or - you could change the action's movement.
Or - just redesign the entire shot to accomodate the limitations of the available equipment.

But KNOWING what your euipment can and can't do is a good beginning.
And you can pretty much forget trying to do anything very precise by looking at a camera's cr@ppy little 3" screen.
You gotta learn to trust the numbers. It's just math.

Last edited:
Great advice from others here.

Just sort your focus or lighting issues out. I wouldn't swap out a 5D Mark III for a HMC150 largely due to this focus issue - take the advice given by others here on-board, you can sort this issue out and get excellent results from your 5D.

The Hollywood movie Act of Valor was shot with a bunch of Canon DSLRs including 5Ds.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1591479/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

In relation to lighting, I could not afford much for my lighting but these budget softboxes are serving my production really well...

$230
3 Softbox Continuous Photograpy Photo Video Studio Lighting Kit
http://www.ephotoinc.com/3-softbox-continuous-photograpy-photo-video-studio-lighting-ki3.html
2 x Background Support Stands w/ cross bar 3 x 4-Light socket/ light holder
12 x 45W bulb 5500K
3 x 6.5ft light stands
1 x 10x20 feet Black Cotton Muslin backdrop
1 x CARRYING CASE

$199
2 Softboxes with hairlight / catchlight
Digital Photography Video Continuous Softbox Lighting Kit
http://www.ephotoinc.com/digital-photography-video-continuous-softbox-lighting-kit.html
11 x 60w perfect day light bulbs 5500K(60w CFL= 300W output)
1 x Boom Arm with Sandbag
1 x Stand for Boom Arm
2 x 6.5 ft. tripods folded down to 30"
2 x Light Heads (5 lights in each head) with 5 on/off switch
2 x 21" x 28" soft boxes inner and outer diffuser is included.
1 x Easy Softbox for the Hair light
1 x Deluxe Padded Carrying Case

They were recommended by Olivia in one of her excellent tech vids:

http://pinterest.com/pin/7248049371013030/

http://pinterest.com/oliviatech/

Last edited:
Thank you ALL for your comments, I was shooting outdoors today and took changing my depth of field into consideration and saw results immediately, that's just something I'm going to always have to keep in mind when shooting!!! I am still learning and with your help I had a much more successful shoot today!!! FernandoAndre, you have a very good point and I think I'll do just that! Thanks again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wsBrkD_Hfo
This plus a search for the 'aperture triangle' will get you the stuff you're looking for... these are the technical bits to photography... how much is in focus, how much motion blur and how to make them combine to get proper exposure.

Back