• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I have a problem with focus on one actor compared to the others.

For my short film I and my DP both had a problem focusing in on one actor more than the others. Is this normal? She has a lot of character in her face compared to the other actors as well. When I record an actors voice, I may have to set the levels differently cause some of the voices are naturally louder than others and what not. So does focus work the same way, and some people's faces are more difficult to keep focus on compared to average, and I have to readjust for that person, even if they are the same distance away, under the same light? Even on the reshoots the same thing kept happening, yet the other actors were fine for almost all their shots.

Last edited:
We tried that but the eyes kept going out of focus too. Her eyes are really small though, so it's more out of focus from further away points of view especially. She's a tough one.

some of the voices are naturally louder than others and what not. So does focus work the same way, and some people's faces are more difficult to keep focus on compared to average, and I have to readjust for that person, even if they are the same distance away, under the same light?

the eyes kept going out of focus too. Her eyes are really small though

Dude, what?
smiley_bong.gif

So does focus work the same way, and some people's faces are more difficult to keep focus on compared to average, and I have to readjust for that person, even if they are the same distance away, under the same light?

It's a common problem amongst actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0FSYKcV2Mk

Interesting problem. Playing a hunch here but does the actress, by chance, exhibit an aversion to garlic and/or crucifixes? Does she avoid mirrors?
Keep us posted please.

My DP said that the actress has dry skin and dry eyes, which is why it was hard to get a focus on her. She said her dry eyes, causes her to get "dead eyes" in a lot of her shots. I could try photoshopping her eyes out of shots where they came out well, and put them in the dead eye shots. We tried that with a still frame, and it looks a lot better so far.

Last edited:
My DP said that the actress has dry skin and dry eyes, which is why it was hard to get a focus on her. She said her dry eyes, causes her to get "dead eyes" in a lot of her shots. I could try photoshopping her eyes out of shots where they came out well, and put them in the dead eye shots. We tried that with a still frame, and it looks a lot better so far.

Dude, what?
smiley_bong.gif

Best response is best.

Back