I Am DB article - Sunday Aug 1st edition - Indianapolis Star

I Am DB will be in the Sunday August 1st edition of the Indianapolis Star. Be sure to pick up a copy!

I would like to thank Bonnie Britton for covering this film. This article will be great in itself but it sounds like there is at least a chance that she will do additional stories in the future as the film progresses. Very exciting.

NUVO has named me as one of the Top 30 Under 30 in Indianapolis. View the article here. Or better yet, if you're local to Indianapolis, pick up a copy at your local newstand. This should be around for a week or so.

In case you missed it, my film, "I Am DB" got a nice write-up in the Indianapolis Star.

As you can see from the article, the budget is locked at $3.1mil. We are nearing completion of the business plan and will be able to approach investors very soon. This is a very exciting time for the film.

JasonJolliff said:
NUVO has named me as one of the Top 30 Under 30 in Indianapolis. As you can see from the article, the budget is locked at $3.1mil. We are nearing completion of the business plan and will be able to approach investors very soon. This is a very exciting time for the film.

Jason,
I can't believe how awesome this concept is. To start a film about making the film that you will be watching is incredibly deep. I think this can get some serious backing and launch your career to a whole new level. I can't wait to see IAMDB in my local theater!

- Michael S. Copeland

Oh yea... this reminds me of another project, StickToWhatYouKnow.com. It's people, helping people, make a feature length film. There are professionals from all over the country pitching in to help make that project a reality.

Good Luck. Have Fun. And by golly, get everything on camera!

CootDog said:
Jason,
I can't believe how awesome this concept is. To start a film about making the film that you will be watching is incredibly deep. I think this can get some serious backing and launch your career to a whole new level. I can't wait to see IAMDB in my local theater!

- Michael S. Copeland

Oh yea... this reminds me of another project, StickToWhatYouKnow.com. It's people, helping people, make a feature length film. There are professionals from all over the country pitching in to help make that project a reality.

Good Luck. Have Fun. And by golly, get everything on camera!

Thank you for the kind words. That web site looks great. Best of luck with that as well.

Here's an update on what's been going on with "I Am DB". It's been so busy I haven't had time to post any news...shame on me. But here's the highlights starting from the most recent news:

1) We just did a short spot for the film on Indy's ABC (WRTV6). It will air on WRTV6 Thursday December 17 during the night-cast at 11PM. Naturally this info only does you any good if you are local to Indianapolis. However I will be getting the footage from the station and will post that clip on the website.

2) INtake magazine did a story on "I Am DB". This Indianapolis weekly publication came out Dec 9. By all means pick one up if you are local.

3) We were invited to be part of an evening radio show called Real Life with Ernie & Angela on 97.1. Unfortunately I do not have the audio from that show yet, but I will post a link to that when I do aquire it (should be next couple of days).

4) I attended the Heartland Film Festival Crystal Heart Awards Gala where I got to network and just enjoy the energy around this event. I also got to hang out with Jonathan Lipnicki (little boy from Jerry Maguire).

5) I was featured on Inside-Report which is an England based internet show which highlights filmmakers.

My team and I are finally done with our part of the business plan and have sent it to the attorney (Donald V. Smiley - Los Angeles, CA) to be merged with the PPM (Private Placement Memorandum). It has been a long road for this part of the film but we feel good with our work on this business plan. We plan on starting to approach sophisticated and qualified investors on Jan 1, 2005. We will be seeking $3.1mil to complete the film.

The film is about to take a very cool turn.

You seem like a nice guy Jason. But this project seems very self-important. Pretentious.

So there's no script, right? You walk around talking to people about making a film about promoting youself for making a movie about promoting yourself.

I'm really not trying to insult you - its just criticism. We all get criticism. Every pro established filmmaker gets criticism. And this isn't personal - I don't know you and you don't know me.

What is the planning that is going into this?

There is something that turns me off about this. It seems like a movie about promoting youself purely for the sake of exposure and or fame. I can't applaud every filmmaker just because they want to make a film. Every film is a struggle. I'm sure there were struggles involved in the production of Showgirls and Gili.

If it's just to demonstrate the struggle that new filmmakers go through - there are already plenty of doumentaries out there that illustrate that point by following the production of an actual film. And there are even documentaries that illustrate that even established award winning filmmakers face obstacles.

The idea, at first seems like a cute novelty, but I can't see it more than that.

But maybe you can shed some light. Or just ignore me.

But again, honestly, you seem like a nice guy. And I'm sure you've gotten similar responses from other people - so you've proabably already got a well rehearsed defense.

Last edited:
Hey Jason... is the "StarMeter" thing still working?

It doesn't show any 2005, and I can't tell how far into '04 it goes as the end is not labeled.

GREATwarEAGLE said:
You seem like a nice guy Jason. But this project seems very self-important. Pretentious.

So there's no script, right? You walk around talking to people about making a film about promoting youself for making a movie about promoting yourself.

I'm really not trying to insult you - its just criticism. We all get criticism. Every pro established filmmaker gets criticism. And this isn't personal - I don't know you and you don't know me.

What is the planning that is going into this?

There is something that turns me off about this. It seems like a movie about promoting youself purely for the sake of exposure and or fame. I can't applaud every filmmaker just because they want to make a film. Every film is a struggle. I'm sure there were struggles involved in the production of Showgirls and Gili.

If it's just to demonstrate the struggle that new filmmakers go through - there are already plenty of doumentaries out there that illustrate that point by following the production of an actual film. And there are even documentaries that illustrate that even established award winning filmmakers face obstacles.

The idea, at first seems like a cute novelty, but I can't see it more than that.

But maybe you can shed some light. Or just ignore me.

But again, honestly, you seem like a nice guy. And I'm sure you've gotten similar responses from other people - so you've proabably already got a well rehearsed defense.

No worries. I welcome any opinions that anyone might have. There are times when people do not fully understand the concept of the film and it's usually only after about a 30min conversation that they really start to understand. Others get it after a couple of sentances. Some don't get it after an hour:)
But that's ok. The film isn't necessarily for everyone and after some of the slams over at the Rotten Tomatoes forum, there's nothing that you could say that would offend me. I try to keep a very open approach with this film. I have to...otherwise I would go crazy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect them all.

Anyway, you have valid questions and it is certainly not the first time that someone has gotten a bad taste from the whole StarMeter and "promoting myself" mentality. In fact, the StarMeter is a very small part of the film (even though the title "I Am DB" would suggest otherwise - my mom came up with the name). I would not say that I am promoting myself either. I wanted to have such a thing in place however in case the film was successful - so that it's success could be tracked and disected over a timeline. It's planning ahead and it's finest.

At the beginning, it was much more me-centric since I was about the only person in the film; cast OR crew. But now the film has grown in production value and crew size. It's very much a team effort now and the film would not be where it is today if it weren't for the help of the expanding crew. NUVO named me top 30 under 30 in Indianapolis, but that was their choice and their decisioin. I can't control the media. Some of them latch on to me as the director and others are hip to the movie itself. The media HAS been very kind to the production though and really has helped the steam behind this thing.

The whole film is not about simple promotion though. Pretty much every aspect of filmmaking is covered. Legal woes, crew drama (though very little drama), business, financial, actors (at some point), etc...Publicity is just one small part of the puzzle.

You are correct about there being plenty of resources to see how a film is made; DVDs, movies, books, etc...but it has never been done like THIS. As the saying goes, "there is nothing new under the sun". I Am DB is my spin on THAT process. I just watched a film from 1929 called Man with a Movie Camera which was a great silent film that "is at once a documentary of a day in the life of the Soviet Union, a documentary of the filming of said documentary, and a depiction of an audience watching the film." It's amazing that there was a "take" on this process in 1929. It was very cool, very beautiful, and very motivational. And there has been many since...but again, not like this.

Even though it is at times hard to explain at this half-way-point, I feel confident that viewers will understand after they watch it from beginning to end. Being part of it I can say that there are some very cool paramters of the film.

So there's my defense:) I hope it sheds some light. Don't hesitate to share more. I thank you for your time and interest in the film.

Zensteve said:
Hey Jason... is the "StarMeter" thing still working?

It doesn't show any 2005, and I can't tell how far into '04 it goes as the end is not labeled.

Hi Zensteve. Yes the StarMeter is still working. I'm assuming that you are referring to the StarMeter page on my website. A while back I decided to only show positive movement on THAT page. I did this to hopefully cut back on confussion with all the fluctuating numbers. At one point I hit a great spike and jumped to 15,463 but have since fallen back a bit. FYI I am currently at 65,158. Once we get into Phase 3 the numbers should jump dramatically again.

Thanks for askin'

Meet the "I Am DB" crew, er...cast

There is a new page on the "I Am DB" website that you might want to check out. It's the CAST/CREW page for the film. I'm not sure why it has taken so long to do this but...

I Am DB crew page

Be sure to check out the new format of the I Am DB media/publicity clips page of the website. It's a good one-stop to catch up on all the media attention that the film is getting...much easier to navigate and see what new clips and articles are up.

Also...
What I'm about to tell you is probably the most exciting news since Deb Wolff came on board, maybe even since the film began.
Some of you may have been wondering what has been going on with this film since there hasn't been much publicity lately or even any email newsletters or forum posts about "I Am DB". It has been very low key for a while. The reason? I've been preparing for 3 meetings that I will be having very soon. There are 3 interested investors that can each go the $3.1mil.

I'll keep you posted.
(*wahooooooooo!!!*)

WOW Jason, That's awesome.
Yea, I have been wondering what's been doing on. I visited the site a few weeks ago to see. Thanks for the update!

Back