Hurray it's over

I just finished shooting my first short film today. Now the editing, but I'm sure that's going to be my favorite part. This was only a five or six minute short but I learned alot from doing this. I learned that a two man crew (not to be confused with two LIVE crew) is NOT enough. I had actors doing crew jobs therefore they could'nt practice their lines, which in turn made us take alot more takes of each shot. I learned that two batteries is not enough. (In general, two is not enough of anything) I learned the importance of a storyboard, which I did not have. This was alot of work, I'm tired, hungry, my feet ache and I loved every minute of it. My next couple of things will be working for others on their crew so the stress will be off of me for a while, but I already have my next short story written. This one will be a 15-20 minute short, so they are getting longer. All of my actors have worked on bigger projects and they said that they think it went well so that means alot to me. I hope to take what I've learned and make bigger and better things. I guess this was a bunch of rambling but it felt good to vent.

No better way to learn, than by doing it! :cool:

Going to post it in the Screening Room when all the editing is done?

I can think of a couple of things two is enough of, but that's besides the point. Congrats on getting the first one done. My advice - never stop doing 'em.

Poke

Wow, after a long day of editing it turns out my 5 min movie might quickly become a 10-12 min movie. I was always under the impression that a page of screenplay = a minute of movie. Is this not the case most of the time?

It depends on your editing style. I know when I first started, I would always leave in some stuff that didn't need to be there - pauses in dialogue, people walking away, etc. If you think it's too long, go back and cut out all unnecessary parts.

Poke

Back