• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to write this character when introducing him?

I have a villain who in the opening scene, performs a kidnapping, and wears a mask. He speaks to his accomplice during the scene so you hear his voice.

A few scenes later, he is in another scene, out of disguise, just his regular self. He is in the scene, but does not speak. He is just in the background as one of the men in the story of that scene. The audience would not suspect him to be the villain at this point.

Half way into the script about, he comes back and we hear him speak, and this is the point where the audience is suppose to know he is the villain by the sound of his voice.

However, is it necessary to write this into the script? Actually write that the viewer hears that it's him from his voice? Also do I absolutely have to write a flashback so the viewers knows it's him, as if they were watching the movie?

In Taken (2008), it was kind of cool, that they show a quick flashback when Liam Neeson recognizes a villain's voice, who's face we haven't seen from before. But that's because it was being revealed to that character.

In my script, when the villain is revealed to be the same guy as before, he is talking to another villain who already knows that, so if I show a flashback, without a character to connect it, it could come off as corny, and drawing attention to itself, kind of like how old TV shows did that back in the day, and it comes off corny now.

So do I have to write a flashback to explain this, or will the reader, as if he/she is watching a movie, will get it just by describing it's the same voice, and that's it?

I also have to write that it's the same character, so do I just introduce the villain by name right away, and then when he comes back for his second scene, do I write, that the audience does not know that it's him, or will the reader get that, even though they are not watching a movie?

Thanks.

However, is it necessary to write this into the script?
Is it necessary for the person reading, and people subsequently making a movie from the script to know? Answer that question and you'll have your answer.

You seem to struggle with this similar kind of situation often. The viewers / audience are going to watch the film, not read the script. Stop worrying about them and whether they need to know something or not, unless it's a visual aspect of the film, or essential to the story -- what they (the audience) need to know doesn't matter... the script is (primarily) for the reader, and assuming it goes to production for the cast and crew.

Actually write that the viewer hears that it's him from his voice?
I'm not an experienced writer but I've always heard that you never write the viewer's experience into the script. Either they'll get it or they won't.

The reason it works with Taken is because it's Liam Neeson that recognizes the voice. It's actually happening to a character on screen. If you add the flashback simply to remind the audience, I agree with you that it will feel corny and out of place.

Somebody give a better answer please.
No offense but that's incredibly shitty.

Do you have a better answer? By all means.. I'd love to hear it.

Or better still.. why do you think there is a "better answer"?

:weird:

Apparently, you've misunderstood me. So also 603.
Some of us are newbies. It will be kind enough to give clearer explanations.
Honestly, your answer put me in a more confused state, I was hoping you could explain in simpler terms so that I and others learning can catch up. I didn't mean that what you said was wrong (how am I to know?). "Better answer" in that context.
I'm so sorry if it sounded weird or awkward.

Some of us are newbies. It will be kind enough to give clearer explanations.
..................... "Better answer" in that context.

LOL
It seems your reply needed more explanation as well ;)

Not everyone has the time to write novel length answers all the time.
I think we can publish a few books with the replies to H44's questions alone. :P

@H44:
you analysed correctly how your situation is different than in Taken.

Back