• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to write day dreaming scene

I tried to find the shooting script of Dumb and Dumber but didn't have any luck.

Any suggestions on the proper way to express / write the following type of scene in a screenplay.

When Mary gets reintroduced to her husband and she asks her husband to meet Lloyd and Lloyd pulls out a gun and starts shooting him and then it cuts to him daydreaming.

LOYD'S DREAM SEQUENCE:

INT. RESTAURANT - NIGHT

.... write all the scenes here as though they were any other scene. Then end it with ...

END SEQUENCE:

------------

If it's clear to your reader what's going on, that's all that matters.

I don't really understand the scene, why would you day dream when you have a gun pointed at you?:huh:
If memory serves, Lloyd meets his unrequited love's ex-husband and enters a dream sequence where he pulls out a gun and blows the ex-husband away. The best in the movie of course is the Kung-Fu waiter and the heart in the doggie bag sequence.

My favorite is the one in True Lies where Arnold backfists Bill Paxton to death in an uber-short dream sequence, I thought it was perfectly done; the entrance to the sequence is invisible, you only have common sense to tell you something's not right, then the exit is a dissolve or fade to white or whatever you call it, and it's made clear he was daydreaming.

Last edited:
Back