• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to light this ?

Gel your lights :)

Having seen Only God Forgives it seems they used a combination of gelled light and a whole lot of post-correction. Some scenes seem to have nothing but blue channel left in. I would imagine this was a creative decisions that was pushed further in post, rather than just lighting everything normally and choosing colours in post.

For not too much money, you could pick up some colored gels and experiment. I use to DJ at a night club, and I was constantly changing the gels over the par can lights. If you have a music store, that sells stage lighting, you find gels that you can tape over your work lights. See which combination works best for your

You guys are awesome I couldn't find how it's called in Bulgaria but I somehow found it , I ordered some gels and I hope it will work just fine with my work lights.

Thanks a bunch! You're always a great help !

Last edited:
The poster image is just a picture with a red/blue gradient over it in photoshop... to do this in camera, you could get a "grad" filter (gradient) which goes on the camera. They come in many colors. Stacking a blue grad and a red grad opposite it so the middle points meet one another would get the actual look of the poster. The problem is that once you add motion to the frame, the border between them look strange. You'd definitely do best to throw blue light from frame left and red light from frame right. This will cause the line between them to shift with the contours of the subject and scene and add interest and depth to the shot.

Back