• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

how to keep my ideas original??

hello everyone. I have been asking myself this question for a while. every time i write a script i feel i deviate somewhat into a movie already made. is this bad? how do i stop this from happening?

my idea is a sci fi/thriller about a teenage boy with supernatural powers. His dreams are in a way reality, what ever he dreams happens for real. He can travel time and alter reality.
does this seem somewhat original? any thoughts or help is welcomed

Tell me a movie that's not really similar to another one that's already been made. The list is very, very short.

"Eternal Sunshine". That's the only one that comes to mind, at the moment, though I'm sure I'll think of more later, and maybe others will chime in. Anyway, almost ALL movies are comparable to others.

In my opinion, you need ONE original concept. ONE major component in your screenplay that is unique, and then all the stuff you wrap around that one thing can be similar to other movies.

Say, for example, at the time being, everyone and their momma are going gaga over "Inception", and it's getting a heck of a lot of positive attention for it's plot. Umm, am I the only person who noticed it's quite similar to "The Matrix"? That doesn't mean it's not still awesome. "Inception" has ONE unique concept -- stealing ideas directly from somebody's subconcious; nobody's ever done that. But the rest of the movie that's wrapped around that concept is rather formulaic.

hello everyone. I have been asking myself this question for a while. every time i write a script i feel i deviate somewhat into a movie already made. is this bad? how do i stop this from happening?

Well, you may not be able to do that completely. Even Spielberg will tell you that Star Wars was Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress in Outer Space. (I think he said Hidden Fortress)

Many stories are similar in basic set up. There are some who feel there are only seven storylines to be had -- some will say 20 depending on where you look. What you want to do is give your story the best original presentation that you can. Try not to duplicate the details if you can. Arrive at your conclusion in an original fashion. Other than that, don't sweat the original story thing because it may seem similar but your presentation will be different.

By the way; I think Eternal Sunshine was a terrific movie, but its very much like a film called The Final Cut with Robin Williams or if you want to go further back, Its kinda like Capra's Its A Wonderful Life, but turned on its head.

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
I think we fall into familiar themes in writing because we all watch the same films. Try finding a resource to view foreign cinema, older movies anything offbeat or unusual. Changing your influences will change your inspiration and eventually effect your material. It least I think that works for me. Best of luck.

1) Be creative and imaginative and come up with something you believe hasn't been done - then twist that idea one more time.
2) Also - be personal. Find your personal connection to the idea and focus your story on that.

What you have now is a *character* but not a story.

- Bill

PS: The movie DREAMSCAPE was about people who enter your dreams... and the plot to enter the President's dreams to plant an idea in his mind that will change the world.

There's this thing called the "20 year rule" - if they made JAWS over 20 years ago, you can make DEEP BLUE SEA. DREAMSCAPE was over 20 years ago... so similar elements in a different story in INCEPTION is okay. The death of the wife and the children - not in DREAMSCAPE... and seem to be personal to Nolan (who has a character who was responsible for the death of his wife in MEMENTO).

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is nonexistent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to."" -Jim Jarmusch

the point here is that it is completely legitimate to be influenced by different kinds of things, as it is (almost) impossible to create something entirely new; what's important is that you don't just copy an existing film, but use elements of a film, a book, a play or whatever that "speak directly to your soul". the story you write should have a great deal of yourself in it, not necessarily you as a character, but single aspects of your personality; or, as far as the story itself is concerned, your ideas or feelings or whatnot; something you care about, and not a story anyone else could have written.

I'm more a fan of "save yourself", which you can do by not reading save the cat.

Ultimately, the originality in this story may come from what causes him to be able to do these things, and what the outcome is.

Put more of yourself into the scripts.

As another said, I'd stay away from Save The Cat, especially if your problem is originality. Save The Cat is meant to show you how to make a formulaic film that production companies are more likely to accept. I'm not knocking that, but do we really want everyone to write like Blake Snyder?

Even Star Wars has nothing original - story wise to it. Good vs Evil? Good turns to bad. Sort of like the bible stories about good vs bad. So the story has already been told since the begining of time...you just have to put a 'you' twist to it. I guess in George Lucas's case the story takes place in outter space with really cool lightsabers and a people in masks.

True originality is unattainable. Everything has been done the trick is to make it your own. You have create relateabilty. If you make the audience really care about the plight that your characters go through, that is all that matters. I can't remember who said it but "originality is knowing how to hide your sources"

Don't worry so much about being original, and worry about being authentic. Emotional resonance is the key to success of a story.

Back