• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to get the Lighting I want

I have watched countless videos and read tones of websites on lighting for scenes. I have to say I'm kinda over whelmed by the amount of info just on lighting.
So how do I get the lighting I want without wasting all the time of all the good people trying to help me?

Does anyone know of any websites or books that have info on lighting broken down to make it easier( or to learn the best way) to do so?

Thanks WAX

No, it absolutely has to do with bit depth. It's a more specific indication of the bit depth.

Uh, kinda....

I guess you could say that it represents the amount of colour replicated within the bits available. Bit depth is the amount of colour gradations you have available to you, and chroma subsampling is the amount of colour retained within those bits.

You can have 4:2:0 chroma subsampling at 12-bit or even 24-bit. You could also have 4:4:4 chroma subsampling at 8-bit.

4:4:4 is basically 'everything' - it's practically RGB. Many cameras capture 4:4:4 at 12-bit, but it is not equivalent to 12-bit, and is not another way of expressing 12-bit.

Last edited:
No, it absolutely has to do with bit depth. It's a more specific indication of the bit depth.

But that topic is still pretty far afield from the original question.

Far afield from the original question, true - but the OP specifically asked in a later post for explanation of some terms, which is why I explained it.

I'm still puzzled by your claim that it relates to bit depth. I feel like I explained it pretty clearly, and while I simplified it a bit and left out some related issues none of them have any relation to bit depth.

As Jax noted, bit depth indicates the precision of your samples. It has no direct relationship to how many samples you take, which is what the 4:x:x ratios indicate. While the two are related in that they both address the accuracy of your color information, they are independent in the sense that knowing one tells you absolutely nothing about the other.

Back