How to contact Distributors?

Hi all,

I am a film maker and i recently completed my feature length film which is of a Dark comedy genre.

There is an unofficial teaser on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F17kBng9o0

Well, The question is, now i have completed the movie, I am having a hard time finding out how to contact a distributor.

I really don't wanna use a middle man. Is there a particular way to contact the distributors direct. say for an instance Lions Gate.

When i say "Any particular way" i mean, any particular format etc., Do i send a DVD screener direct to them?

I have heard that, i need to do press release for the film etc., before i contact the distributor, is that true?

I am hoping to contact distributors like

Lions Gate
Millenium
Icon
Miramax
Dimension

Also, would huge distribution companies like above get back to me if they like the film? This is because i have heard that they usually don't.

My film is a low budget feature film made with £8500 and set in Scotland.

PS: The trailer was made with raw footage with NO additional effects and colour correction.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Don't chase em off with press releases. They just want a one-sheet and a screener. If they dig it, they'll ask for more or send ya a first version of a contract. Cold-call until you have proper contacts.
You can start with smaller distributors with ptojects you are less protective of. You'd be surprised how much it helps when a bigger distributor asks you if you have anything else in distribution already.

I'm sure many others here can answer this better than I, but I'm sitting around waiting for my wife, so there ya go.

My own experience seeking distribution for various projects has been to just contact them and pitch the project. I'd estimate that 90% or better have gotten back to me and requested a screener, and also followed through after viewing it -- even the big dogs.

No distributor wants to pass on an opportunity that could turn out to be the next Paranormal Activity. If you approach several distributors simultaneously, you should let them know that. Two reasons for this: 1. It's a common courtesy, and 2. It tends to make them respond more quickly! :D

Edit: D'oh! Beat to the punch again!

Last edited:
Guys,

Thanks for the info.

However, when you say you contact the distributors, do you just call the numbers on their web page?

Again, if i use Lions Gate as an instance, there's plenty of numbers, I am confused whom to call.

As you can understand, when i contact, i do want to contact the right person as well as have all the necessary details.

I believe that if i make a mess the first time, that will be my last time with them.

I did'nt wanna be a pain, sorry if i was.

Thanks

mate,

other than having all the deliverables before trying to get a distirb,

you need a HCD - distributors, latest version will do just fine.

and yeah, when you wanna make calls, you should ask for persons in aquisitions for unsolicited sunmissions.

you are unsolicited even after you make the call because,

you and your project are not yet vetted.

goodluck,
Ace.inc1

You are right to want to be prepared before you call.

The very best thing you can do is to spend some money and
do a lot of research. Get the Hollywood Distribution Directory,
read Variety and Hollywood Reporter. Speak to other filmmakers
who have worked with the distributors.

There are ALOT of distributors out there. I suggest you goto all the local video stores and pick up titles and films similar to yours. Look on the back cover and write down the distributors name. The chances of getting Lions Gate, Millenium, Icon, Miramax, Dimension, without a middle man who is really close to someone there is a real long shot. Even reputable sales agents have a hard time getting a film sold to these guys. But there are ALOT of other good distributors out there that you may not be aware of, so hit the video stores and start making a list.

Last edited:
Guys,

Thanks for your advice. I am still waiting for the film to return from the audio post production.
I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, i decided to do my next film, which may or may not be a great idea. But, certainly, i see the difference in film making methods from the first to second.

Please check out the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oAoDzy6XQs

Thanks
Krishna

Back