• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How should I go for these kind of shots?

Hello everyone.

So basically in my upcoming short film I have a scene where my character is going forward and we are following his actions thru dolly shot .

But I always imagine these scenes to be kinda slow . Not slow motion ,but whenever I go back and see some of my dolly shots , I expect them to be a bit slower and epic , but they always just go kinda fast and I don't like that .

I wanna add a bit of suspense to that scene so following him super quickly would ruin the scene for me.

Do you think I should shoot these shots in 60 frames per second ? Or I should shoot them at 24 frames per second and then slow it down a bit in post production ?

I'm wondering if lens selection could help with this? Wondering if you tried different focal lengths, moving the camera closer or further away from the subject, while still keeping the same framing Of the subject, will change how much or little of the background you see. It may change how the background moves in the shot. Making the background seem to move faster or slower, depending on the focal length.

Could also try shooting in 30fps, and slow to 24fps. It will slow it down just a hair. 26 or 27fps would be better. Would make the shot slightly slower then real time, but wouldn't really be noticeable. Gives things a dreamy quality. Shirts rustling a bit slower then real time, etc. read an article about a director who loved to do this, can't remember who it was though.

Hope, t works out for you, and you'll post your results.

Last edited:
Why don't you just... slow down your dolly move? You can push a dolly fast or slow, you just need a dolly grip (can be yourself) to push it.

Also, using a wider lens can help.

Back