How often do you alter your story when shooting?

just for the sake of asking, how often do you happen to change your scene when you film? and this is from the story's perspective, not cinematography. did you regret changing it or not?

You should always take advantage of what comes your way. for instance, if you've two actors being filmed talking in the street and a fire truck drives by, by gosh get in your car and follow that truck. Then plop your camera down from afar and have them stand in front of the fire truck and continue the dialogue. Firemen chase them away? Even better (provided the actors stay in character). You can dub in dialogue later and adjust your script to accommodate this -- $10K worth of production value for zip.

If you wrote a fire and a firetruck into your script, you'd never afford it.

So, yes, change your scene if something better arises. You can always shoot the original scene as a safety.

Good luck.

You'll be forced to change when you can't get the location you wanted and the new location requires immaterial changes to the screenplay.
Budgets will change the story.
Different actors bring different characteristics to their roles, including insights and perspectives on the character's interaction with his/her environment and others - thus changes.

Read the final script from here and compare that to how the scene was shot: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=315120#post315120

Things change.
It's all good.

Also, read some of these scripts while watching the film on DVD and note the differences: http://www.imsdb.com/latest/

Write now I am working on a short, with a man and woman in a relationship as the main characters. However the best actor I want for the guy looks about 20-25. The best actress I want for the woman, looks about 40-45. So it will have to be a cougar/cub type relationship, which is not what I originally intended but will work just as well, with the acting talent, I hope.

I too was in a situation where I wanted to follow a police car for production value, but the car was just too damn fast lol.

Last edited:
Back