• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How many flashbacks is too many

I have recently finished my first Screenplay, and have a consultant looking at it. I have included 4 flashback scenes, 3 for comic effect and 1 which ties in with the final scene....is there a general rule in how many flashbacks scenes you have? My film has nothing to do with anyone losing their memory etc incase anyone is wondering

To be honest, as long as it makes for a coherent story and they're necessary, there isn't really a limit imo. If it adds value to the story and takes it forward, it doesn't matter if it's a flashback - use it! :)

Actually, if you know the secret handshake you're apparently allowed two more, but that's the absolute limit.
Legend has it that Christopher Nolan figured out how to do the handshake with both hands and feet simultaneously, and that's why he got to make Memento.

There's no real limit. Something to consider though. If you're finding yourself using flashbacks a lot, it may be worth considering if you started your story in the wrong spot.

There's no real limit. Something to consider though. If you're finding yourself using flashbacks a lot, it may be worth considering if you started your story in the wrong spot.

I may work one of the flashbacks in real time, so leaves me with 2 for short ones for comic purposes, and one that is central to the end

P.S Feel free to PM the secret handshake anyone...might see if it works at Nando's

I think it's not about "how many", it's about "how often". They probably shouldn't be too close to each other by the movie timing.

But if we're talking about numbers, I think the magic number is 3. Everything that is repeatable in movies, comes up 3 times. In most cases, the number of confrontations with the antagonist is 3. 3 times the protagonist learns something after "crossing the threshold". So many times there are 3 artifacts to collect. 3 is also the number of obstacles on the "final road" to the antagonist, after the "commitment point". 3 times the protagonist looks behind when somebody secretly follows him. If there is a fighting scene with the antagonist, it is made of 3 rounds. In "journey" type movies, there are the "hero" and his 2 sidekicks, which make a team of 3. Not to mention how many times there are 3 scenes before the "inciting incident". I can go on with it for a very long time...

So, my point is, use 3 flashbacks! :) And this is not just a random cliche - there is probably a psychological explanation why 3 is the most effective number.

Back