How many does Netflix order?

For those of you who have had a movie available via Netflix, how many DVD's does Netflix ask for in their initial order? How many ADDITIONAL DVD's did they order later on?

They have 30 Us Sinners, and I know a friend who sold them 100 of his movie. The strange thing is a lot of people have told me there's a long wait for Us Sinners, yet they never ordered more. Go figure.

They asked me for 600, and paid 8 per copy. They never ordered more.

Most people that use netflix are never going to drive to the store and pay 20 bucks for an indie film. They've already got Netflix for that purpose. So it's always a good idea to sell to netflix, because they pay up front, order big, and I don't really think it even dents your sales.

I'm not sure. They ordered a bunch, rated me 3 stars out of 5 and I never heard from them again. Sent a thank you note for the star rating. We didn't really deserve it.

National buzz on TV would have probably generated an order for hundreds of thousands. 60 is their minimum for niche indie, and I think I may have gotten lumped into midrange indy by accident becuase of my film quality.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Silico...d=254611245_0_0&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&trkid=222336

Last edited:
I think I just got lucky, they probably misfiled me becuase I used a 4:4:4 camera with post, and that's typically associated with more expensive films.

They probably have to process hundreds of these a day, and I think someone just screwed up and ordered too many thinking it was a higher budget production. The standard for any regular indie at netflix is 60.

What I'm more curious about is their streaming. I know of avenues to get on Netflix streaming independently (3rd party brokers are everywhere for iTunes, Netflix, Cable & Amazon VOD now) but I'm wondering what one of these films would get in viewership via streaming.

I'm finishing up a feature film and trying to decide if it's worth the money to go streaming and all these other outlets. More and more people are watching them, and it seems that a digital release in conjunction with a disc release is expected these days, but I'm wondering if I spend half my film's budget, are people actually watching it?

Do they keep you updated? I see Troma Entertainment has their films on there, and they're constantly rotating in new ones, so that gives the image they're doing well, otherwise I figure Netflix would give 'em the boot and clear the servers for more pertinent content.

Anyone had any streaming success?

For that matter, it's great to know general numbers for Netflix's ordering, anyone ever gotten an order from Blockbuster for online and express kiosks? If so, what was that order like?

Any help is appreciated, I'll be sure to come back and keep everyone updated if I learn anything somewhere else too.

I too would be curious to know how many Blockbuster orders from indie filmmakers via various distribution outlets.
With FilmBaby expect NO orders from Blockbuster, and expect only 60 orders from NetFlix, which is a raw deal. Let them pay for only 60 DVD's to cover the entire nation with no royalties? NetFlix won't disclose how many times the average block of 60 indie DVD is rented out. I think I know why. Filmmakers would demand royalties if they knew. Rentals rob you of DVD and download sales.

But that's the rental business. Filmmakers do know their films are rented across the nation with no royalties, this is why studios do revenue sharing.

Does Rev Share still screw the small indies? Of course. Get used to it, that's part of being a small indy.

Your movie will be rated harsher (ratings wise), more "delicately" placed (aka hidden) [either on a shelf or a web page], and make less money per viewing than your average studio film.

That's just the facts of the way independent filmmaking works. However, you're supposed to use those 60 DVD's, that Netflix streaming 3rd page, to get noticed and make your next one bigger and more comfortable, if that's what you're looking to do.

That's just the facts of the way independent filmmaking works. However, you're supposed to use those 60 DVD's, that Netflix streaming 3rd page, to get noticed and make your next one bigger and more comfortable, if that's what you're looking to do.
I don't buy into that thinking. NetFlix needs to start paying royalties. They are laughing all the way to the bank by buying only 60 copies for the entire nation. Just look at their stock performance.

My first film they ordered a 100 copies through my sales agent and then later on asked of a 100 more, I didnt have inventory left(replicated disc) so they just put the title on hold. My sales agent now tells me they are no longer wanting to take indie films and he could not get my second film on there site.

Yeah, it's a business, we should applaud them for good business sense. If as filmmakers we want more money for a product, we need to be good business men too, find a way to make money instead of complaining about change and innovation that makes it harder for us to.

Is that also true of Netflix and the big Hollywood studios? What's the deal between them?
The big studios probably worked out a special deal with NetFlix because it's not fair that NetFlix covers the entire country with a relatively small quantity of DVD copies.

Wholesale for 60 DVD's for the entire country is a raw deal for indie filmmakers. Yes.

Is that also true of Netflix and the big Hollywood studios? What's the deal between them?

Yes. They sell a DVD to them at wholesale prices and Netflix rents them. The only other deal is for streaming on Netflix and they do NOT pay for each download/view - they pay to allow as many downloads for a limited time period.

So the studios sell Netflix DVD's and they buy them at a set price, never more than customer would pay.

The studios license the streaming rights for X amount of dollars for Y amount of time (like 1-3 years).

This is why the entire industry is actually not nearly as profitable as it was 5-10 years ago. We sure love the convenience of VIDEO ON DEMAND and Netflix and RedBox, but it has destroyed a business model.

Back