• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How many cameras are filming at any one time in a movie?

I am wondering how many cameras are typically used in conversational scenes. Is the scene filmed twice with only one camera at a time or are 2 cameras filming at the same time and thus allowing the actors to have a more natural conversation as opposed to recite their lines alone. Thank you for your help.

You can do either. I prefer one at a time, cause then you can put the camera anywhere you want, without risking other cameras being in the shot. Same with lights. If there is just one camera, it gives you more options of where to put the lights, as their is no other camera, to have to work around, when deciding where to place them.

In my experience though, the other directors I have worked under so far, prefer more cameras, so it all depends on you. But multiple cameras results in compromised angles, like you would see on a soap opera or sitcom. Compared to movies, where you can put them less compromising places, but it depends on what the storyboards call for as well, as to whether or not you should use more than one.

I am wondering how many cameras are typically used in conversational scenes. Is the scene filmed twice with only one camera at a time or are 2 cameras filming at the same time and thus allowing the actors to have a more natural conversation as opposed to recite their lines alone. Thank you for your help.
Typically one camera is used in conversational scenes. Typically
the scenes is shot four to ten times to get the coverage the
director wants. The actors job is to have a natural conversation
many, many times.

That's very different than here in the states, jax. It is quite
uncommon to see 2 or even 3 or 4 cameras in a conversation
scene. In action and stunt scenes; yes. But not in a dialogue
scene.

That's very different than here in the states, jax. It is quite
uncommon to see 2 or even 3 or 4 cameras in a conversation
scene. In action and stunt scenes; yes. But not in a dialogue
scene.

I guess it depends on the type of work you're doing. In television drama, it's not uncommon to see two cameras even in conversation scenes. On feature films, it can really vary depending on the budget, but also the way a particular DP likes to work.

Most lower budget stuff I see uses a single camera.

I've even seen the case on a TVC where the production didn't really need two cameras, and the DP wanted to shoot the majority of the TVC on Alexa. That DP happened to own an Epic, and so also hired the Epic onto the production, in order to squeeze a bit more money.

I've been on a lot of TV dramas here in the states and it's very
uncommon to have more then one camera. I, too, have seen
the uncommon exceptions, but in general the most common
method of shooting TV dramas here in the states is with one
camera.

Interesting to know the differences in Australia.

It always bothers me when a different camera angle in a supposedly continuous scene results in continuity issues with actor positions. A minor thing, perhaps, but it still bugs me! Noticed it in an HBO show the other day.

There was one drama here in the UK where a recording of an earlier scene was replayed later on, using a different camera angle, and it was a noticeably different take.

I guess all this demonstrates is that I am a pedant :)

Thank you very much for all your replies. I am new to film making, I am trying to learn as much as I can in order to start a video series project. I'll tell you more soon about the multi-cultural crime drama that myself and a team of people are working on. I'd love to get your feedback!

I'll write a separate post about it.

Back