• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

how good would a movie be shot on a ipod touch 4

I've seen some pretty sweet short films that were shot entirely on smartphones. But each one of them was made by a filmmaker who was already experienced and accomplished. If you're a rookie, all you're doing by shooting on such a device is SEVERELY limiting your capabilities, making it WAY more difficult to produce anything of any quality. This is a sure-fire way to stunt your growth. Don't do it.

A used mini-DV camcorder, for $200, you'll find far more valuable.

I've seen some pretty sweet short films that were shot entirely on smartphones. But each one of them was made by a filmmaker who was already experienced and accomplished. If you're a rookie, all you're doing by shooting on such a device is SEVERELY limiting your capabilities, making it WAY more difficult to produce anything of any quality. This is a sure-fire way to stunt your growth. Don't do it.

A used mini-DV camcorder, for $200, you'll find far more valuable.
Thank you very much. You cleared that up for me really quick. Do you have any tips about editing and visual and special effects programs. That can help me make the video look a lot better plus so visual effects into a movie.

Wow, you're sure easy to convince. What else can I indoctrinate you with? :) Just kidding.

If you wanna do special effects, most people are using Adobe After Effects. And you can find a ridiculous amount of awesome free tutorials at Video Copilot.

For editing, instructional videos can be found (for your particular ediiting software) on Youtube.

But, I think you're probably getting ahead of yourself. The basics of using your camera are extremely important, and you should be researching both the basics of still photography, as well as the basics of filmmaking. If you're finding terms like "rule of thirds", "framing", "balance", "180-rule", and "30-degree rule", you're looking in the right places.

Good luck, and have fun!

Also, as I mentioned before, a used miniDV camcorder can actually go a long way, and they're super cheap. If you're on the cheapest budget, I think this is the way to go. But make sure you get the following:

manual focus
manual exposure
external audio input

If, on top of those three ESSENTIAL components, you can find one with a focus ring, you're golden.

Wow, you're sure easy to convince. What else can I indoctrinate you with? :) Just kidding.

If you wanna do special effects, most people are using Adobe After Effects. And you can find a ridiculous amount of awesome free tutorials at Video Copilot.

For editing, instructional videos can be found (for your particular ediiting software) on Youtube.

But, I think you're probably getting ahead of yourself. The basics of using your camera are extremely important, and you should be researching both the basics of still photography, as well as the basics of filmmaking. If you're finding terms like "rule of thirds", "framing", "balance", "180-rule", and "30-degree rule", you're looking in the right places.

Good luck, and have fun!

Also, as I mentioned before, a used miniDV camcorder can actually go a long way, and they're super cheap. If you're on the cheapest budget, I think this is the way to go. But make sure you get the following:

manual focus
manual exposure
external audio input

If, on top of those three ESSENTIAL components, you can find one with a focus ring, you're golden.
Lol well kinda i am. But thank you once again. I have heard alot about adobe after effects. But i have windows 7 32 bit and the cs5 only runs with 64 bit and i dont know where to download cs4 for after effects. Since you mentioned about the miniDV camcorder. What would be a really good one. In the price range from 100 to 400 dollars. Something that would match what you said it needs. Also i dont have any editing software yet. Thats what i am trying to figure out. Like whats the best for free and to buy.

If you're interested in a used miniDV camcorder, you only need search ebay, and do your research. For each model you find listed on ebay, do a google search for it's specs, and make sure it has:

manual focus
manual exposure
external audio input

MiniDV is an old-school technology. At such a low price-range, you don't really have the liberty of searching for a specific model. Just take the first one that fits the aforementioned requirements, is less than $200, and is being sold by a reputable ebay seller. I recently bought one for $250, but it has a focus-ring, which is huge, in my opinion.

Premiere, Final Cut, Sony and Edius all offer lower-end editing software (less than $100) that will serve you quite nicely.

Have you played around with your Windows 7 Movie Maker?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/movie-maker

For adding visual effects you might wanna play with Blender:
http://download.cnet.com/Blender/3000-6677_4-10514553.html

As for which camera which suits your needs best, begin with a google search for "HD manual focus camcorder"

Be real keen on any camera's high definition 1280x720 / standard definition 720x480 resolution threshold max capability.

Learn the difference between 720p & 720i

I like the reviews given at both:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
http://reviews.cnet.com/camcorders/
Then go ebay shopping with some patience.

Get a UV filter to guard your lens!

Pretty soon you'll be shopping for Tascom or Zoom digital audio recorders and XLR shotgun mics.

Then... all h3ll breaks loose when you start making your own specialty lighting, dolly rigs, car mounts, keeping white and silvered reflector boards nearby. Then you'll be weighing pros and cons of DSLRs vs camcorders.

The rabbit hole gets rather steep rather fast.

There's no such thing as 720i, as far as I know…?

Correct.
That'll teach me to post while half asleep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

720i (720 lines interlaced) is an erroneous term found in numerous sources and publications. Typically, it is a typographical error in which the author is referring to the 720p HDTV format. However, in some cases it is incorrectly presented as an actual alternative format to 720p. In fact, no proposed or existing broadcast standard permits 720 interlaced lines in a video frame at any frame rate.

Ok so i have a ipod touch 4. And i know it is shot in HD. But would that be good to shoot a movie with. Any tips for that would be great.

I just got my new iPod. I shot some video with it and was
quite surprised. As many of the regulars here know, I always
say it isn't the camera, it's the skill and talent of the people
so I have decided to make a short film using my iPod.

My tip to you would be have a great script, great actors, excellent
lighting and perfect audio. That's what I'm going to do.

I just got my new iPod. I shot some video with it and was
quite surprised. As many of the regulars here know, I always
say it isn't the camera, it's the skill and talent of the people
so I have decided to make a short film using my iPod.

Right, but that goes back to what I said in my first post in this thread. The only videos I've ever seen made on a smartphone (or and iPod) that were any good were made by experienced filmmakers, like yourself. Because of the severe limitations (like not being able to control exposure), shooting on a device like this is more difficult than using a traditional video camera. For an experienced filmmaker, you can overcome the added challenge, but I don't think it's wise for a new filmmaker to make things more difficult for themselves.

I'll be curious to see your iPod movie, though. Any chance we can see it in the screening room?

I agree with Cfunk. My first camera was a kodak Zi8 and I ask the same questions you did before I bought and got the same answers. I ignored there warnings and bought it anyways. I was for sure I could make it work but it only lead to frustrations. Lots of then. Having absolutely no control of the picture sucks! I still use it for hiking and airborne operations but getting good video out of it is difficult. Here's a short video I put together not to long ago. Can you tell which parts of the video were shot with the canon T2i?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIBh7Y0mcok

Because of the severe limitations (like not being able to control exposure), shooting on a device like this is more difficult than using a traditional video camera. For an experienced filmmaker, you can overcome the added challenge, but I don't think it's wise for a new filmmaker to make things more difficult for themselves.
I have always loved a challenge. Even when I was first starting out. I
respect your advice to inexperienced filmmakers to take a safer, more
traditional route. I was always the guy who took the challenges. So that's
usually my advice. My first five or six films were done on a fixed focus,
fixed exposure standard 8mm camera - very similar to the iPod camera.
I learned so much from using that camera and I couldn't even see the image
until several days later when the film came back from the lab.

I think it's not only wise to face the difficulties, I think it can be an amazing
learning experience.

Nice to have two different options, isn't it?

Yes. it's doable.
First - good story to tell! If the story is captivating enough for the viewer, he will be less exigent.
But usually you do not address just one viewer but many of them with there background and expectations. So a story is just a beginning .... and always omnipotent.

Bumping a post from 2011

Hang Loose Pauly Shore GIF

Just FYI, for the original posters. Years after you died, in the distant future, Apple created an entirely new type of Ipod touch. It makes phone calls, takes pictures of your lunch and sends them to strangers, tracks your eye movements, films in 8k 3d, shows you advertisements for something called Netflix, and costs $3800 with tax. You wear it on your head, and the phone covers your face.

Also we have this new thing called meta. You no longer need to make a film. You can now make something called a "reaction video" which is just a film of you watching a film. Like actually a film of you sitting on your sofa and watching television. It's an amazing creative opportunity for everybody.

Just FYI, for the original posters. Years after you died, in the distant future, Apple created an entirely new type of Ipod touch. It makes phone calls, takes pictures of your lunch and sends them to strangers, tracks your eye movements, films in 8k 3d, shows you advertisements for something called Netflix, and costs $3800 with tax. You wear it on your head, and the phone covers your face.

Also we have this new thing called meta. You no longer need to make a film. You can now make something called a "reaction video" which is just a film of you watching a film. Like actually a film of you sitting on your sofa and watching television. It's an amazing creative opportunity for everybody.

That would be a fun idea: shooting a react to a film you want to make, but haven't yet.

Back