How far is too far with Filmmakers?

Is it bad that there are Film Festivals specifically for women or other cultures?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • It does not make a difference.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
Should we favor directors and/or other filmmakers only on the basis of their work OR the basis of their work plus their personal values/morals/affiliations, etc.?

I recently did a search on the writer/director/star of one of my favorite films to find out more about his other projects. Having not done this for years and just enjoying the independent film that I knew of, I have always looked at him as a talented filmmaker worth admiring for wearing so many hats on his projects.

However, after reading some biographies and interviews with this filmmaker, I am concerned of whether or not I should like him at all. It appears that he is unapologetically racist and would like to be considered as an "extremely conservative radical" (whatever that means). So, this has brought up a curiosity of whether or not we should take a film for what it is and enjoy it despite the fact that we may be in one of the groups of people that the filmmaker doesn't like OR do we decide to dislike the filmmaker's work, not because its bad but because the filmmaker is racist and very outspoken on this point of view and other controversial positions?

This has become somewhat bothersome because I must say, many of my favorite filmmakers are of non-Latino, non-African American and non-Asian decent. So this finding then makes me question the true personal beliefs of other filmmakers and directors who have made very fine work within the last few decades. Even if they aren't speaking openly about it, are they secretly racists? or Homophobes? or sexists?

What's your take on this? I would appreciate hearing feedback from you fellow filmmakers on what is the best reaction to something like this.

(***For example, if you had a favorite filmmaker and then found out that he or she didn't like homosexuals and you were homosexual, would you still like his or her work? would you still like him or her?)

The poll and the first post don't seem to mesh. I think the work needs to stand on its own...If you were to base your judgement of a film on the producer/director/actor/DP/Grip, how far would that go...if you find yourself liking a film which employed a PA who was racist, does that count?

As for the poll, I'm OK with smaller groups having specific targeted festivals just like there are horror only festivals.

The poll and the first post don't seem to mesh. I think the work needs to stand on its own...If you were to base your judgement of a film on the producer/director/actor/DP/Grip, how far would that go...if you find yourself liking a film which employed a PA who was racist, does that count?

As for the poll, I'm OK with smaller groups having specific targeted festivals just like there are horror only festivals.

Knightly,

The poll actually came from another conversation that I read a while back on that topic, but you make a good point. As I look over it again, it does seem to be a topic that stands on it's own. You can take it down if you'd like, as I didn't schedule a timeframe for it to end.

A PA who is racist does not pull as much weight as someone who worked above the line and who made the film himself. He wrote it, directed it, acted in a leading role...... and may have done the editing, etc. as well....truly an example of indie filmmaking. However, my questions wasn't necessarily about basing a judgment of a film on the views of it's maker but rather questioning the support that one gives to a filmmaker. I never owned the film before and placed on one of my recent holiday lists and received it as a gift and was happier than a fat kid in a candy store.....until I read all of these interviews and other writings on the filmmaker yesterday.

My question is, should we continue to support the work of filmmakers who we know do not or would not like us and they don't even know us? Although this particular issue is about the filmmaker being racist, it could be any type of offensive point of view, including filmmakers who are sexists and do not like women (or men, if it's a female filmmaker) and filmmakers who dislike homosexuals for not other reason than their preferences of romantic partners.

I don't want to look like the fool who is supporting and giving rave reviews of a filmmaker who is outspoken about his views against people who are of the same decent as I, or telling my friends that they should watch this great movie despite the fact that the guy who made it has ill opinions of them.

When it comes down to the work itself, using your PA example, I would much like to just enjoy the film like you mentioned, but my recent findings about the person behind the lens have significantly changed the way that I look at him thus creating a curiousity of whether or not I should support any of the work he does. He wasn't one of my top 5 Directors or filmmakers, or maybe not even a favorite at all, but I did admire him because of the work that he did and the cult-like following that he garnered until just recently.

I have some friends who do not like certain actors and singers and some of these people have been nominated for or won Oscars and Golden Globes and SAG awards, but they are disliked not because of their performances or movies, but because of their social views. Look at Tom Cruise for example. There are people who think that he is strange or controlling or even crazy, despite the fact that the man has done some great movies.....and this is all because he practices scientology.

I may plan on enjoying the film for what it's worth, but the filmmaker.....who knows?

We all have our favorite Directors, Writers, Composers and all around filmmakers, but for me, that seems tough to like someone despite their dislike toward you. I mean, hypothetically speaking, what if you loved Scorsese and Scorsese hated Liberals and you were a liberal....what's a budding filmmaker to do then? Would you still want to meet him and hang out with him at Sundance or SXSW?

Last edited:
I love listening to Wagner, even though it was used specifically as motivational soundtrack to the nazi horrors in WW2.

I guess the answer to your question has to come from internally. I like Mel Gibson's stuff even though he made some bad comments, same with Michael Richards. I've been angry enough that even though I'm not a guy who espouses hate motivated thought, I've struck out at whatever happens to stand out about the person that I can latch onto and attack (age, weight, skin color, receeding hairline, gimpy leg, lazy eye...whatever).

How much disgust do the acts of malfeasance on the filmmakers part disgust you...enough to make you not enjoy the film. Is it due to the fact that the filmmaker has said things or because you fear that you could possibly have the same thoughts (NOT AN ACCUSATION, JUST A QUESTION) and that makes you want to distance yourself.

Generally, the only times I've seen embargo as a reaction have been groups of people who think that the public will be swayed by whatever they perceive is wrong (again, not an accusation). Examples of this that I've seen of/heard of...religious groups protesting religious movies (coincidentally, when I've asked protesters, none of them had seen the movies they were protesting), conservative groups banning/burning books, that sort of thing.

Do you feel the films espoused those viewpoints that you disapprove of? Are the filmmakers spreading hate and distrust through their art...even hidden under the main story? Is it enough to make you not want to support their messages?

Bobby Fisher was an amazing chess player, I found out that he was anti-semetic - while that disgusted me, I didn't stop playing chess or reading his strategy books, he was brilliant at chess. Often brilliance will leave gaps in the personality that tend to get filled with bizzare thoughts, paranoia and just plain bad socialization. Often these are fuelled by them being singled out as children for their differences, society forces them into a position where they have to strike out at someone to help staunch the bleeding of their own self images. While I don't know the specific filmmaker or any of the background you're talking about, I'm sure that there's more gray in the story than has been written about. Generally, black and white makes for better stories.

I'll stop abruptly without coming to a point as I've typed enough here. I'll gladly type more if you counter point any of this...I love deep philosophical conversation.

The work exists outside the man. Judge each according to itself.

Hell, just because Mel Gibson's got a mouth doesn't detract from his kick-ass-ness when he's directing Scots to Freedom... perhaps the Jesus snuff film did, but most of his other work is good.

Chuck Norris was at the Republican debate... which makes sense, actually, but from my own liberal bias, Chuck Norris is fucking awesome!

Whatever the defects in personality, if they make genius work, there's nothing wrong with supporting the art, as long as it doesn't cross any boundaries or whatever. What I'd do, is support the films while taking jabs at the filmmaker... ie. "This film is the most brilliant commentary on the human race ever filmed, which is surprising, coming from a psycho-pedophile director who most self-respecting human beings would rather have locked up in a film canister and put into the Disney Vault with all the other peddies"

Use your own wording of course.

Man what next - a festival for black chinese directors with one leg who faught during teh Vietman War on the side of the secret russian Hitler youth society for boys...

Come on... if you need to marganalise a film that much chances are no one will ever want to watch it. A film should stand on its own merits against other films... more over there are so many festivals now does winning or taking part ACUTALLY MEAN anything any more?

Whatever the defects in personality, if they make genius work, there's nothing wrong with supporting the art, as long as it doesn't cross any boundaries or whatever. What I'd do, is support the films while taking jabs at the filmmaker... ie. "This film is the most brilliant commentary on the human race ever filmed, which is surprising, coming from a psycho-pedophile director who most self-respecting human beings would rather have locked up in a film canister and put into the Disney Vault with all the other peddies"

Use your own wording of course.

...I saw that movie, good film, director, blech!

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
The work exists outside the man. Judge each according to itself.

I agree...

I think you have to look at the contribution itself. Nobody says you have to lay your money down for it, but you have to look at it with an artistic eye as well.

I remember maybe a year ago, when someone mentioned Elia Kazan during yet another film award show. There was a light round of boos & hisses. If you don't know, Kazan was a person who gave names to the government so that people could be singled out as communists during the McCarthy era "Red Scare".

You can be mad at Kazan, and not like the person for his beliefs or background. But it doesn't change the fact that he directed:

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, A Face In The Crowd (just saw this, great), Splendor In The Grass, East Of Eden, A Streetcar Named Desire, and On The Waterfront.

...it only means that a person with questionable ethics actually had a good idea....

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
Back