How exactly do you contact a famous celebrity to put as a cameo in your movie?

I don't know which sites are scams, and which sites are legit at actually finding and contacting agents of famous celebrities. And I don't think forcefully trying to contact famous celebrities through their official sites or through fan mail is really a smart way to go (But if it's the only option, then I'll have to take it).

Like I've seen a lot of famous actors/actresses doing small scenes in some independent filmmakers movie just to help them out and I usually think this happens by chance, but apparently, there are a lot of famous celebrities like Nicole Kidman that heavily participate in festival circuits and help young filmmakers achieve film success.

But how do you think the independent filmmakers find them? Do you think it's just through connections?

All opinions are much appreciated! :)

@sfoster yeah that's what I've heard also. But before I pay money for the pro account, I need to know for sure because there's other sites that claim to be legit as well........ So yeah it's confusing xD

Last edited:
I don't know which sites are scams, and which sites are legit at actually finding and contacting agents of famous celebrities. And I don't think forcefully trying to contact famous celebrities through their official sites or through fan mail is really a smart way to go (But if it's the only option, then I'll have to take it).

Like I've seen a lot of famous actors/actresses doing small scenes in some independent filmmakers movie just to help them out and I usually think this happens by chance, but apparently, there are a lot of famous celebrities like Nicole Kidman that heavily participate in festival circuits and help young filmmakers achieve film success.

Some do it to remain current, trendy etc. Others do it as favor for someone else. Others do it when they have down time and are looking for something to do.

Most of the time, they'll do it to play an interesting character that they'll never get to do, or to help them break out of their stereotype (if they want to break out).

Some do it to get involved with "the next big" director.

You'll need connections or have a very compelling "What's in it for them" pitch.

But how do you think the independent filmmakers find them? Do you think it's just through connections?

Right timing, right contacts, right script. The most likely is through connections. The trick is to find a way to get them to read the script. Their agent is responsible for the actors career. If you're pitching to the agent, you have to give them a great reason why it's in their clients best interest.

Good luck!

@sfoster yeah that's what I've heard also. But before I pay money for the pro account, I need to know for sure because there's other sites that claim to be legit as well........ So yeah it's confusing xD

Go to imdb, look up their pro options and see if it's right for you. It's only about $15 for a month, so what are you really risking? If $15 is really going to break you, you're in the wrong industry.

As others have said use IMDB pro and google to get the agents details from there you'll need confidence and money. I contact some for my current project. All except one ignored me. I pitched my project to the agent, he asked what dates and how much I was willing to offer his client. He then (supposedly) sent his client the script, client didn't want to be in it. I thanked him and asked if I could keep his contact details for future projects and he agreed.

I did read an interested article online somewhere (I really need to bookmark things) It basically said your best bet is to call the agency, ask to speak to a junior agent, pitch your idea to the agent and tell them your looking for an A/Blister to cameo and do you have anyone available. You dont get the person you want but you will get a name.

I haven't tried this so can't tell you if it works or not. All you can do is give them a call and remember the worse they can say is no (or some other non polite way)

I got myself an IMDB Pro account and emailed the agent of an actor I wanted to appear in my film. The agent said that depending on availability and script approval, the actor could be available to me for an appearance fee, travel, accommodation and meal expenses.

I couldn't raise the money in time and it fell through, but we might be able to work with him in the future.

Amazingly enough, we had an actor who played main roles for a number of years on Holby City and Corrie (both famous soaps in the UK) apply for a role in my last short. He was recongisable enough.

I don't know about more famous actors but this suggests to me that if a short is good enough on paper, it may start to attract strong actors.

Don't know though as this was just a single case, so far.

Chance? Maybe 0.001% of the time. As Sweetie said, contacts is key. Do you do the festival circuit - build your network? Do you have an agent with great contacts? Have you got a few shorts out there that generate great festival buzz and actually get you a few calls... Or have you a personal contact with them, maybe a close friend or cousin who knows the talent well. That's how the majority of these folks get the A-list talent.

IMDB Pro is good but a lot of agents do not list their contact details. It will simply say their name and the agency. Why? Because otherwise they would get hundreds of emails from budding screenwriters, indie folks etc... It's cool that some previous posters did have some success but if you're looking for top tier A-list talent understand your chances of securing them are incredibly small.

Many agents still typically get dozens or even 100+ emails daily from non-pro writers and film makers. Most of those emails get deleted immediately and are not replied to. I have received dozens of emails from CAA, WME etc saying they do not accept unsolicited material (after I emailed them). Maybe 1 in 20, I get "Send us you script" - but not yet from any top tier agency.

For any chance you would really need to have an amazing director's showreel... Unless you're looking for C-list and can afford to pay their fees and expenses etc.

Are you in Noell in Montana? So the talent would need to spend time getting there and back from LA?

A cheaper option than IMDB Pro is:

http://donedealpro.com/default.aspx

Personally, I'd spend more time seeking out great local talent.

Last edited:
Also a viable option would be to look up casting agents for your project. Sometimes a good casting agent can open up a lot of doors, and diminish a LOT of stress.

I hired a casting director for my feature and she was worth every penny. She got us a few recognizable actors who aren't A listers (or even B listers) but are known to fans of their shows: JD Williams from OZ (HBO), Vinnie Pastore from The Sopranos, Phyllis Somerville from The Big C (Showtime).

Even more importantly, she achieved her stated goal of bringing in at least one actor with the potential to really break out - Billy Magnussen, who is our lead guy, is shooting Into the Woods w/Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep et al; was just announced this month as a series regular on HBO's new series The Money; and (crazy!) is one of the names bandied about for the lead in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie (you can see article links on that subject on his imdb page):
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2915105/

In general famous celebrities at the level of Nicole Kidman do not
help young filmmakers achieve film success. I took a look at her
films and didn’t see even one independent film she had a small
scene in just to help out. She does play the lead in many independent
films - but films that are well financed and she is the lead.

As others have said, working actors will do independent films. But
famous celebrities will not do a cameo in a movie to help out young
(or old) filmmakers. A “cameo” is usually uncredited and done by
famous celebrities for fun as a favor for a good friend. A small
part in a small films to help someone they don’t know is highly
unlikely. As Sweetie said, a really good “type-breaking” part is a
small well written independent movie might attract some C and
B list actors. You can certainly get a working actor, however.

One thing you didn’t tell us: are you offering a job; paying them
their expected rate? Or are you hoping a famous celebrity will
help you for free? What you can offer will change the "how" to
contact them.

Instead of spending tons of money on getting a celebrity cameo in your film (which probably won't help the success of your film - unless they have a big enough role to be on the cover of the film), spend the money on distribution, or a department that is lacking in gear or crew.

Back