• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you write a fake phone number, without it turning out to be real?

I would like to do that, cause this detective in my script, has to figure out the meaning behind a code that is used, and later finds out the code is phone number.

However I do not want to do the 555 cliche. It's cheesy cause it's been done so often, and spoofed, plus the audience will figure out that the code is a phone number long before the character does, which makes the detective seem a bit slow to them, as a result.

Can I use a different sequence of numbers to create a fake phone number, without it turning out to be real and risk an improbable but possible lawsuit or something?

I would like to do that, cause this detective in my script, has to figure out the meaning behind a code that is used, and later finds out the code is phone number.

However I do not want to do the 555 cliche. It's cheesy cause it's been done so often, and spoofed, plus the audience will figure out that the code is a phone number long before the character does, which makes the detective seem a bit slow to them, as a result.

Can I use a different sequence of numbers to create a fake phone number, without it turning out to be real and risk an improbable but possible lawsuit or something?

I'm just going to be a bit random and completely unsure... but I don't think every possible number combination has been used for area codes... so just make sure to use an unused area code?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_Numbering_Plan_area_codes

Example: 285-543-2351 isn't a real number because 285 isn't an active area code.

555: Reserved for directory assistance applications, not used.

This is not the same as 555-1212 or other 555 (telephone number) services, where 555 is an exchange – not an area code.
1-NPA-555-XXXX is used for fictional telephone numbers with limited use for information numbers and directory assistance

Honestly ten minutes of google has provided me with a lot of information... do you utilize it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_(telephone_number)

Fromw what I can tell the government has set aside NPA-555-XXXX purely for ficitional use and it's highly recommended to use it according to the above wiki. Is it cliche? Sure... but I don't think there would be legal problems with using an inactive area code like 285 either... as I doubt that new area codes will be implemented anytime soon.

Last edited:
Isn't the whole number code turning out to be a phone number predictable, regardless of what number you use?

I'd agree with that. If the number is the same length as a phone number (ie, 7 or 10 digits), rather than being embedded in a longer number, then if the detective doesn't work out that it's a phone number straight away he's going to seem pretty stupid.

But if you insist on going with this, get around the problem by never showing/saying the whole number. This is why characters in films often write down their phone numbers and hand the paper to another character rather than just saying it out loud...

Yeah I guess your right he would do some thinking and realize it was a number, rather than just assuming the code, was just a random code, that came from nothing, other than the villain's head.

I know the code turning out to be a number is a cliche, but it has to happen that way, otherwise the plot I have will not work. So I don't mind, it's really just to connect two sections of plot. I don't think the audience will mind it being a cliche. Usually this is done as a cliche when it comes to a huge plot point, but if it's just a little one, I don't think they would mind, would they?

Guy A grabs guy Bs cell phone. He uses B's phone to text himself.
Now they both have each others numbers. This is realistic and modern.

What if the code is the phone number backwards, and the detective calls it, so that it eliminates the possibility in his mind that it's a phone number and he thinks that it's a code? This might not work depending on the context.

Just hide the last five numbers. I see films and TV shows do this all the time. Someone will say "323-78..." and then they get interrupted or the scenes cuts or whatever. You can do the same in written form with someone's finger covering part of it. Make sure the first three numbers are an area code and double check whatever you decide to put in the film before pulling the trigger.

Back