How do YOU direct actors?

This subject came up in a movie discussion thread, and there seemed to be some interest in a separate discussion on the topic -- how do you direct actors into delivering the best possible performance? If your actors are your friends (which is so often the case) how do you get them to take you seriously? What techniques do you use to make your actors more comfortable and more in touch with the character?

Please, feel free to share your thoughts and experiences!

"How many of us here have thousands of dollars 'rolling' through the camera on set every day? "

I average $1000 to $1500 per shooting day. That's why I rehearse the actors (MUCH more on the current film and going forward than on the last one).

This isn't the norm--especially at most of our levels in the game. True indie. True micro-budget. But I understand why you would want to rehearse more. We are shooting on film for our current feature, and boy I know what the word 'prepared' really needs to mean.

But also, let's consider Hollywood films...they run in the millions of dollars...tens of millions...and how much rehearsal do they do? Very little, if any at all. Sure there are films that rehearse blocking, fighting, and stunts...but in terms of actors coming to set and performing, very few multi-million dollar films have 'rehearsals' for their actors.

No way dude,

Ben Stiller rehearsed for Tropic Thunder at least for 3 minutes.

But, for real, that's why I like actors like Daniel Day Louis and guys like that, they spend months "getting into character".

I haven't actually directed my first work yet, but if I could add something to this fun topic it would be this...

Rehearsals - It's all semantics but I count table reads as a rehearsal (1st rehearsal). I would also like to do some character work, build character back stories (2nd rehearsals), then staging and blocking (3rd rehearsals). Depending on the quality of talent that I have I can skip the 2nd rehearsals. Based on the responses here this may seem like too much rehearsing but if the Director has done their homework and thoroughly understands their vision and the why's this should not be nightmarish. There is the risk of mechanizing the action with too many rehearsals, but like I said the Director has to have a feel for this. You cannot, in my estimation, go to the set unprepared (professional actors and crew or not, paid or free) and wastes people’s valuable time and appear unprofessional because you are scared of over-rehearsing or simply hate rehearsals - especially if you are a young director (by young I mean new to the trade). Also while on set, I plan on allowing some time to work with my actors to set up the mood and prep the scene. We are shooting out of sequence for Pete’s sake and sometimes may cut too soon - actors are not machines who can just turn it on and off like that. Speaking of which…

Actors - I am no actor, by any stretch of the definition. But to do my due diligence and home work I am watching Sandy Meisner’s master Class and Uta Hagen’s classes on DVD. If I had the time I would attend or audit acting classes. I believe every Director has to understand where actors are coming from. It helps with the communication, which is huge and cannot be understated. Plus it helps you know how far to push and what you can get from an actor. This is win-win as it can only help solidify the mutual respect that can help you achieve your vision to its fullest. Actors like other members of the crew or department heads bring a specific talent to the collaboration. They deserve every single ounce of respect to interpret and give you what you want - what the picture needs. Just because their interpretation does not match you dreamed up version does not necessarily mean that is bad. They can add value to the overall vision too. I would NEVER dare to disrespect any actor by feeding them lines. If that’s what you want then hire some warm body or get your family to perform for you - not sure how much of that nonsense even friends and family would tolerate. If you need to control things that badly then you should just jump right in front of the camera. Now I am not advocating you let rogue actors hijack your vision. No way. All I am saying is that if you are prepared you can do all of the above and succeed as a team, a team that you, the director, leads.

Kosh

The Majority of the people I use in my films are friends of course but they have a strong passion for acting so we can easily just break off from real life and act out this scene as we know what our hobbies are and how to do them....It's rare I'll use a friend whom has no interest in film-making whatso ever.

However if that's the case I tend to give them small exciting parts, like at the moment I'm doing an Action Thriller film, I friend of mine, no interest in film-making or acting AT ALL....came along happily as a favour as we're friends, got to play around with an airgun all day, he loved it and now he's watched back with the muzzle flash and sounds and music....He enjoyed it....

I think when I get my actors who can't take the work seriously I show them examples of what we're making so they can see what the results will be to give them a boost that they're not being "Gay" or "Stupid"

Back