How do TV shows make money?

So how do TV shows make money?
LastSunset is correct; Advertisers buy time on the channel in 30
to 60 second increments.

is there any chance that the show will go on without any commercials? Will that mean that they won't get any money?
There is no chance of this happening. Many times an advertiser will
buy ad's only at the beginning and end of a program to show the
show "commercial free".

"Alfred Hitchcock Presents" had commercials only at the head and tail (when it was a half hour), and Hitch always made some sort of 'necessary evil' joke about having to cut to the sponsor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj15EGFWgXA​

Do you have to pay to get your show on air?

Does the channel station automatically put in the commercials for you?

About how much profit does the channel station get and how much profit does the TV show get?

Do you have to pay to get your show on air?
If by "you" you mean the production company - no. The station
pays the prodCo.

Does the channel station automatically put in the commercials for you?
I'm not sure who the "you" is. But it's the channel that sell the
advertising spots.

About how much profit does the channel station get and how much profit does the TV show get?
That would depend on the show. The channel buys the program and
then sell the advertising. The actual money deal will vary from program
to program and station to station. There is no average.

I don't think you're quite getting it, suj, so I've drawn something up for 'ya.

advertisings.png

Not only is Crackers diagram brilliant, but it’s also 100% accurate. You could learn a lot from it!

On a side note, this thread has reminded of something that I meant to post on here a few weeks back… I’m not sure how product placement works in the US, but here in the UK, it was never allowed. This has now been lifted and production companies can now advertise products within their programs if the product manufacturer is paying them. If they do this, they have to have a “P” logo at the start of their programs, to inform the viewer that they are trying to sell them a product during the program.

CF -
Bloody brilliant illustration!
Except, of the three $$$ that go from the Evil Corporate Giant to NBC only one $ should goto the (speculative) production company.

And then you could do the whole "Vincent Vegas educates Jules Winnfield about what a 'pilot' is": FOX FORCE 5!

How about channels like Nick Jr.? There are no commercials, but i still assume they are making money some how.
A correct assumption. Cable channels also make money. Those who have
cable or satellite TV pay a fee each month. That fee is is paid put to all
the channels and that money is used to pay for content.

which is a smarter idea? Making a few scripts (episodes) and show it to a channel station or making a few scripts with the actual video of the episode to the channel station?

Also, what is a reasonable amount of scripts (episodes) needed to start off a TV show?

Back