• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I keep the camera straight while running?

If I put it on a cart, it still goes over humps in the road, and rocks and what not. How is a camera operator suppose to do this? Steadicam better but there is still a bit of shake, especially if you are running really fast behind someone.

Steadicam better but there is still a bit of shake, especially if you are running really fast behind someone.

The camera operator does their thing to the best of their ability. If it's still too shaky afterwards, AEFX has great motion tracking to help smooth it all out.

Also, you might want to look up DIY dolly tracks (or rails), which can be made quite cheaply from pvc pipe from the local hardware store. Oh, and a few skateboard wheels. :)

AEFX has great motion tracking to help smooth it all out.

Yup! Dolly is the way to go whenever you can, but warp stabilizer in CS5.5 is AMAZING. Not to be used as a crutch, but put it on top of already mostly smooth motion and it looks crazy good. I use it to smooth out walking shots often.

I forget if you're using CS5 or 5.5 harmonica. If 5.5, the stabilizer is under "effects" then "distort" then "warp stabilizer". The default settings do pretty good, but play around with them and see what you think.

The cheapest solution is to run a number takes as best as you can, then in editing, select the smoothest sections of each take and edit together a string using cutaways to enjoin them.

Remember, no one will ever know you didn't actually use rails, tracks or steadicams.

Last edited:
Consider the "local" locations you know of or are likely to find where there is a INFREQUENTLY USED road parallel to whatever "scene" it is your characters need to be running across.
Road next to the forest.
Road next to a field.
Road next to a sidewalk with houses behind.
Road next to a sidewalk with a strip mall behind.
Road next to a fence or wall.
Blah blah blah...

Someone drives the "camera car/truck/van".
You A. hang out the window from the passenger's seat, B. sit/stand/squat from the truck bed (don't forget the wind!), or C. shoot from the open side doors or out the back of the van...
... as your talent runs "through" the forest, "across" the field, or down the sidewalk.

Don't for a moment think that you can both drive and shoot simultaneously.
Please.

car-accidents+4.jpg

Okay thanks. I actually do use a steadicam but when running it still shakes a bit. I will get better practice, but sometimes since I act to, I might have to rely on someone else to do this. The after effects image steadying seems to work well, and will just use that if there is any problems. Thanks.

We put down hardboard, as we had it kicking around, to start with we wheeled an office chair over it, it cut out the bumpy/shakyness (well the minor ones anyway)

Try everything, see what you like, what you think is best

yep, plywood :)

If the problem is the bumps in the surface... the solution is to remove the bumps.

I like to boil everything down to simple solvable problems... then solve them... it makes life so much easier.

For sure. I have lots of good ideas of what to do next time in pre-production cause of you people! Thanks. I tried the warp stabalizer but it looks the same and still shakes. What did I likely miss?

Last edited:
Back