• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I get this type of light look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMhXexbDmv8

A good example is about 1:50 into the video, and more examples throughout.

The light has bright streams coming out of them. I asked a guy who knew things in photograghy and he says to set my camera to a really really low shutter speed, but my camera does not go as low as he said I have to. Plus if I go that low, it would look choppy, when characters and things moved. He didn't know about that since he only knows things mostly about still photography probably.

But how I get that with the Canon T2i, if possible? Thanks.

It's called a lens flare, shutter doesn't do anything to a lens flare.

Point a light at your camera lens off frame, you'll see plenty of it.

Depending on glass, it may change the look of the flare.

What you see in that video is an Epic without the gate-flare patch, it's actually something people try to get rid of.

I want to finish my current project and am, but at times I get stuck and I need to take a break to think about what to do next on it.

I am also not able to home right now, so I can't work on it till I get home. But I will get back on it tomorrow for sure.

It doesn't look like lens flare though. The light stream is going down the wall of the room, not the wall of the lens. I guess it is lens flare it just looks different from the lens flare I am familiar with. So is it a good idea to add lens flare in post or get it on set? On set, it might turn out to be too much, so in post it seems you may have more control. But the lens flare on set probably looks better.

Last edited:
What you see in that video is an Epic without the gate-flare patch, it's actually something people try to get rid of.

This.

idk anything about this particular patch, but the "flare" at 1:50 looks more like an undesirable artifact than flare.

Care to elaborate for the class Kholi? :D

Found another at 2:38 on frame left behind the bearded man's head. Very strange choice if it is intentional. Almost like they were hiding a light with his head and he moved just a little too much and showed a sliver of it to the lens for a moment.

Last edited:
The EPIC has a reflective OLPF (Optical Low Pass Filter) around the sensor as far as i undersstand and this reflects light onto the sensor, resulting in these unattractive flares!

This.

idk anything about this particular patch, but the "flare" at 1:50 looks more like an undesirable artifact than flare.

Care to elaborate for the class Kholi? :D

Found another at 2:38 on frame left behind the bearded man's head. Very strange choice if it is intentional. Almost like they were hiding a light with his head and he moved just a little too much and showed a sliver of it to the lens for a moment.

xD It's caused by the finish (think paint) inside of the gate, the walls of area where the back of the lens protrudes into. So using black felt or a certain kind of spray can fix it, I think there's now something you simply peel and apply to get rid of it.

It can actually sprout from the top, or sides of the frame. Took a while for people to realize it wasn't just lens flares.

Back