• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I get this type of exposure?

If you watch this clip and fast forward 1:45 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jAhzDVVu1s

As you can see it looks like it was shot at a high shutter speed, but can I get that background look with actors in the foreground, doing their thing somehow? I have a Canon T2i, and probably could not with that as far I can tell, but will any of the creative methods work?

Last edited:
That high shutter look you're talking about is actually time lapse photography that is how they captured all the city's activity in a fast motion. If the "look" you are asking about is the city night lights and having the actors in the foreground you would simply expose for the city lights and use lights on your actors.

U get that look by shooting on film + 17 million budget and an army of paid professionals. T2i + a group of friends and a greasy box of day old hamburgers won't work.

Or, like been mentioned, just look up time lapse photography on t2i :)

Last edited:
Do you see the long stripes of light moving?
That's not high speed shutter, but long shuttertimes. Maybe even a few seconds for each frame.

It's indeed timelapse.

The only way to combine this with actors is composting it or project the image behind the actors (like old-school Bond-movies did in cars).

Last edited:
Do you see the long stripes of light moving?
That's not high speed shutter, but long shuttertimes. Maybe even a few seconds for each frame.

It's indeed timelapse.

The only way to combine this with actors is composting it or project the image behind the actors (like old-school Bond-movies did in cars).

QFA

This is time laps. You set your camera to take a frame every couple of seconds and when you play it back it looks like that. The long streaks of light are the result of long exposure not fast exposure. You can easily do with with your 2Ti. Just look up time laps on google and you'll see a lot of examples and tutorials. I think even the magic lantern hack some settings for it or something.

As far as putting people in front of it, as WalterB says, you'll need to composite them in afterwords. You usually do this by shooting them on s green screen and then keying out the green in a program like After effects of Nuke. It's actually quite simple. Even Final Cut pro, Premiere and Vegas have basic keying.

Back