How do I find out where movies are being filmed to watch and learn?

I keep being told to go onto real sets and volunteer to help, or watch and learn to get experience. But I can never find out where and when movies are being shot. I keep hearing about it afterwards and it's too late. But the people I've worked with on my first short film so far are ahead of the game and have been to sets since, and I don't know how others get all the info. It's not like the production puts out adds in the paper, asking newcomers to watch and learn. So how do I find out? If I ask around most people haven't heard anything either.

It seems the only thing I can do, is higher a resourceful P.I. to do travel around for me and investigate, but there's got to be a better way.

I'm fortunate that my University campus doubles as a film set.

The King's Speech, Pirates of the Caribbean, Sherlock Holmes, The Dark Knight Rises etc. We get some really cool films.

Although I don't manage to "get on set" per se, it's truly an inspiration to see some of the world's biggest films being made in front of you.

Christian Bale:

36281634-s.jpg

Keira Knightley:

2047083087_aadc07e071_z.jpg

Johnny Depp on set:

johnny-depp-pirates-caribbean-stranger-tides-0vs8u0.jpg

What you guys get to see in the film:

news_potc_disneyenterprisesinc.jpg

Last edited:
The advice to volunteer on productions usually does not mean
standing around on pro sets asking questions. The advice is usually
meant to volunteer on student films and local no budget productions.
No professional production is going to place an ad for people to show
up to watch and learn.

If you live in an area where movies are being shot - like Billberg - you
can try to get hired as a PA. That is a great way to learn. But no one
is hiring people to just stop by and watch and learn. Get out there
and offer to help on movies being made by people just like you. YOU
would be happy if a couple of people offered to carry equipment, run
for lunch, hold the boom, set up lights for your shoot. Do that for others.

I second directorik's advice:

I once got an invite to a PSA out of the blue, helped them set-up up their RED cameras at the start then basically observed the rest of the day, help where I could, generally an all around useful experience.

The advice to volunteer on productions usually does not mean
standing around on pro sets asking questions. The advice is usually
meant to volunteer on student films and local no budget productions.
No professional production is going to place an ad for people to show
up to watch and learn.

If you live in an area where movies are being shot - like Billberg - you
can try to get hired as a PA. That is a great way to learn. But no one
is hiring people to just stop by and watch and learn. Get out there
and offer to help on movies being made by people just like you. YOU
would be happy if a couple of people offered to carry equipment, run
for lunch, hold the boom, set up lights for your shoot. Do that for others.

^^ +1

Sherlock Holmes, (...) We get some really cool films.

These words, in the same paragraph, do not make sense.
smiley_colbert.gif

It's not like the production puts out adds in the paper, asking newcomers to watch and learn.

Maybe not in as many words, but there are probably more lo-budget gigs going on your area than you realise. Probably no-pay gigs, but if you're looking to meet some peers it's a good way to start. They won't be asking you to come and watch, btw... but to come and work.

If they are no-budget / no-pay, they won't be expecting you to know it all, anyway. Hands-on training is the best. :cool:

Okay thanks. I asked other actors how they got on set, and they said that they know people in the business of studio funded productions, but I don't know anyone so that doesn't help me. I also have not been lucky to get on indie sets or low budget set beginner sets either, because they don't tell hardly anyone about the movies, so it's actually been harder tracking them down, compared to big productions that people here about will be in town through the connections.

I have also put out a few adds that I would like to work on my craft, but not many people who actually seemed serious about working on theirs responded. At least not serious enough to want to become more 'professional standard' good.

Okay thanks. I asked other actors how they got on set, and they said that they know people in the business of studio funded productions, but I don't know anyone so that doesn't help me......

You always seem to think in problems and boundaries.
Use your imagination to get from A to B, instead of crying that nobody painted the line between A and B.
You may not know anyone, but you now know people who know people.
Ask the people you know to ask the people they know if they can use some hands-on help on set and ask if you may contact them. Prepare to get your hands dirty and start with simple things.

Back