• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do create a "reverse negative' in Premiere Pro?

I tried googling it but every link I found thinks I mean reversing the playback of the footage, or rotating it upside down. How do I create a 'reverse negative', as it's called in the film world. Not sure what you call it in digital. Thanks.

Thanks you but, that's not what I mean. I don't want it to look like a negative. I just want the picture to be reversed, like a reversed negative. But I want to footage to still look normal. I'll take down this other effect advice for when it comes in handy though.

I think it's called "Flip" or "Flop" (one is horizontal, one is vertical) in Premiere. "Negative" is definitely the wrong word to search for.

Okay thanks it worked! Is it just me or do the actors faces look fatter, afterwords. Maybe it's just me. So instead of having to go through every clip I want to do this one by one, is there a way to add the plug in to multiple clips in a row?

You'll have to "nest" them, but since we obviously have different editing software, I can't tell you how to do this. But there may reasons for NOT nesting them at this time. But there is a way to copy and paste all your effects into each clip to make it somewhat easier.

Good luck.

Thanks. It's good to know for color correcting to, that I way I don't have to go through it shot by shot for every scene.

Since we're on the subject I have been having trouble with sound in Premiere Pro. For some reason I cannot put sound on the other tracks, accept for the one track I have been working with originally, which was track five, when I first starting editing, the DSLR sound went there. But sound will not go on the other tracks. This is probably my final edit, but the sound went on the other tracks just fine, in my rough edits, in other files.

@Topic Starter

Actually there is a flip-flop. Use the Effects Panel and search the phrase "Flip Flop" and it should appear.

Regarding the sound on DSLR, I guess they went to track five because of their frequency. But you can transfer them, although a bit troublesome, Unlink the Video and Audio Layer and move the audio layer.

I tried that but it won't move. I can't even put other good audio recorded from mics and field recorders, onto other tracks. Something has locked the other tracks completely. It's not the locks next to the tracks, those are unlocked, but something is.

Oh dear, a few months ago you wanted to shoot upside down and rotate or filp it.
There we pointed you towards the flip horizontal, flip vertical effects, but you obviously never looked at it.
Or you forgot.

Either way: maybe you should try things in Premeire before posting every question you have?
The are a lot of double questions among them, but you don't seem to realise it, because you give it a different name all the time... :P

Yes but that was to flip it 180 degrees. In Premiere, that is in a whole different area of the program, than where the 'perspectives' are located. That's why I couldn't find it, unless it's in another place too, I couldn't find. I looked for several hours of trial and error, so I thought I'd ask, since I wasn't getting anywhere.

Yes, the topic was about rotating, but you got a lot more info than just that.
Let me quote myself from januari and read the part about flipping:

Do you need to rotate or to flip it?

Flipping: (left stays left)
Select clip in timeline (so you know which clip it is.)
Go to effects window.
Open 'Transform' folder.
Pick up 'Flip Vertical', drag it on clip: et voila! The upsidedownfootage is upsideup again.

(In this folder you'll also find: 'Horizontal Flip' and 'Crop'.)

(When rotating:
Select clip.
Go to properties window.
Open: motion tab.
Change rotation to 180 degrees.)

If rotating is to difficult for you:
Combing a Vertical Flip with a Horizontal Flip is the same as rotating 180 degrees.

(If neither of this works: try to import the clip again while holding the camera upsidedown :P)

(I'm so happy I can flip the image inside my camera, so it gets recorded the way I need it on the timeline :) I only used it once, lol)

When you want to change the image (flip or crop), check the 'Transform'-folder in the effects window.
There is no need to check the 'Color Correction' folder, or 'Channel', or 'Keying', etc (trying all that can take hours. ;) )

Another way (more complex way, but mathematicly very logical way) to horizontally flip an image is to:
- select clip on timeline
- open motion-properties
- open the scale properties by clicking the arrow
- deselect uniform scale
- change horizontal value from 100% to -100% (this flips the image)

Okay thanks, that helps a lot! Sorry I missed it before in the other post. I am still having trouble with the sound tracks though. The fifth audio track is still the only track that I can move audio too, the rest of the tracks are frozen or something and I can not figure out how to get audio on them. Any ideas? I was able to before in my rough edit, but not my new edit for some reason. I don't want to have to start the edit all of over again. It says A1 in track 5, if that helps, but cannot figure out the problem.

Do all tracks have two 'speaker' icons or do track 1 to 4 have only one icon? (Or vice versa)

It sounds like some of the tracks are mono and some or one is stereo.
You can only put stereo sound in stereo tracks and mono sound in mono tracks.

Do a google-search on: 'adding/deleting audiotracks in premiere pro': that will lead you to the menu where you can add or delete audiotracks in your timeline. (I don't know every menu by heart and I'm not busy with Premier Pro now.)

Btw, you can add a track by moving audio from track 5 to below the 'master-track'. This way Premiere will automaticly make track6 with the right mono or stereo properties.

(:lol: You can't say we idn't warm you that it takes time to learn to use and understand the software ;) )

Your tracks aren't locked. You need to right click and select "unlink" clips and delete the existing audio. Or you need to drag your audio down to the darker grey area below all of your tracks and it will create a new track. There is no problem starting your audio tracks at 5 or 6 and I'm pretty sure you can rename them in some manner to 1 and 2. Like "This amp goes to 11?" The number doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Back